Industry News: Sony introduces the Sony Cinema Line, teases FX6 camera

Arod820

Camera Operator
Sep 19, 2018
Miami
Am I the only one that prefers the ergonomics of this fx6 to the c70? I hate blackmagic form factor, it’s ridiculous just make it a box it’s not that hard. Balancing blackmagics on a gimbal or steadi is a pain in the @$$, why copy that? Copy Arri, the Alexa mini is a dream to balance and operate kitted up. No real camera operator wants to use these dslr camcorder hybrids, or is it just me?

Upvote 0
Am I the only one that prefers the ergonomics of this fx6 to the c70? I hate blackmagic form factor, it’s ridiculous just make it a box it’s not that hard. Balancing blackmagics on a gimbal or steadi is a pain in the @$$, why copy that? Copy Arri, the Alexa mini is a dream to balance and operate kitted up. No real camera operator wants to use these dslr camcorder hybrids, or is it just me?

No, you're not the only one. I do too. Form factor is part of the fun of using a camera, and using a camera is part of the fun of life.
For me, though, it will all come down to the image it produces. Not the specs, not the form. The final render. That's where it gets tricky to find out which one produces a better image. Especially since its rather subjective, for the most part.

Which image do you prefer ?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018

You are aware that BMD makes more cameras than the BMPCC right? They make the Ursa mini for example that has basically tha same form factor as an Alexa mini. I'm really not sure where you get the idea that a BMPCC is hard to balance on a gimble but a Alexa mini is no problem. If you move up to the type of gimbal you need to fly an Alexa you wouldn't even have to balance the BMPCC as the motors would be strong enough muscle it around with out balancing. The size and weigh difference between the two cameras is a whole order of magnitude different. And if you look the C70 is going to be more of a deep EOS R shape than that of a BMPCC and should be super simple to balance on a gimbal.

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
I wonder if from now on we're starting to hear bitching about Sony cannibalizing their α cameras to protect the cinema line…
Will never happen. Sony can do no wrong (even when they do). They seem to have a cult type user base. I've owned their cameras and they make fine products, but I just cannot stand how some brands get that type of rabid following and their users bash everything else.

Anyway all this competition heating up is good for consumers, at least for now. Once there are too few companies left, I worry.

Upvote 0

Arod820

Camera Operator
Sep 19, 2018
Miami
You are aware that BMD makes more cameras than the BMPCC right? They make the Ursa mini for example that has basically tha same form factor as an Alexa mini. I'm really not sure where you get the idea that a BMPCC is hard to balance on a gimble but a Alexa mini is no problem. If you move up to the type of gimbal you need to fly an Alexa you wouldn't even have to balance the BMPCC as the motors would be strong enough muscle it around with out balancing. The size and weigh difference between the two cameras is a whole order of magnitude different. And if you look the C70 is going to be more of a deep EOS R shape than that of a BMPCC and should be super simple to balance on a gimbal.
Yes you can have motors work harder to keep your camera leveled but a camera should be center balanced, and if you keep your motors working harder than they should you’re going to have reliability issues long term, not only that but when your battery runs out or someone unaware of your off balance setup turns off your gimbal, something is going to break. I’m aware of the Ursa’s but I've never used one because no one pays money to rent a Blackmagic on a production. Other than the Ursas all black Magic’s have bad formfactors, they’re marketed towards small studio productions where the budget doesn’t allow for external monitors. I work with Arri mostly Alexa and Amira, I’m not a snob, I like the C300 and I’ve been waiting for a camera with these specs at this price point. I probably will buy it because canons can be matched up to arris easily. But the form factor makes it awkward to work with.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
Yes you can have motors work harder to keep your camera leveled but a camera should be center balanced, and if you keep your motors working harder than they should you’re going to have reliability issues long term, not only that but when your battery runs out or someone unaware of your off balance setup turns off your gimbal, something is going to break. I’m aware of the Ursa’s but I've never used one because no one pays money to rent a Blackmagic on a production. Other than the Ursas all black Magic’s have bad formfactors, they’re marketed towards small studio productions where the budget doesn’t allow for external monitors. I work with Arri mostly Alexa and Amira, I’m not a snob, I like the C300 and I’ve been waiting for a camera with these specs at this price point. I probably will buy it because canons can be matched up to arris easily. But the form factor makes it awkward to work with.
I see what I wrote was went completely over your head.

Upvote 0