Interesting old 80D rumor in light of the actual published features

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56457256

This is a six-month old rumor that at the time was just one rumor among others. However, now that the 80D is actually published it seems fairly accurate and the unconfirmed parts might have slightly more credence:

Announcement: December 2015
Not quite but things get delayed all the time.

24 megapixels, that's a new sensor not the same as other 24mp EOS bodies
Correct.

ADC now on the sensor itself, expect much cleaner fine detail
80D's ISO 6400 is like 70D's ISO 3200
DR at ISO 100 improved 21% compared to 70D
Unconfirmed but in line with other rumors.

Single DIGIC 6 (not 6+)
Correct.

It has DPAF, same as 70D.
Correct but an extremely safe bet.

Much more richer colour tones because of new Colour Filter Array (CFA) engineered with germanium microstructures, it also allows more photons on the sensor which helps the ISO performance
Interesting if true.

Canon claims 8.1 fps but I feel it's more like 7.5 fps, maybe will be improved in the final product
Buffer will be less than 70D. That was a trade-off to keep the cost low.
According to another rumor, Canon dropped the FPS from 8 to 7 late in the process. Less FPS = more buffer, so they might simply have decided that the latter is more important than the former after all.

No 4K but has 1080 60fps, it still does line-skipping
Correct (line-skipping unconfirmed but fairly safe bet)

Both Wifi and GPS, also NFC
No GPS.

A new more sturdy swivel screen hing design. Canon also readies a full-frame camera with swivel LCD.
Externally looks the same as the 70D design, could of course be better engineered internally.

Single UHS-II SD slot
UHS-I.

Astrophotography version of 80D will also be released, expected three months after 80D release
Interesting.

nhz

Jan 9, 2016
Sharlin said:

Interesting indeed, but with so many rumors (and some specs easy to guess) some are bound to be almost right by chance ...

As for the DR, if that means 21% more when measured in stops/Ev's (e.g. 14.0 instead of 11.6 low ISO DR) that would close the gap with Sony/Nikon and be almost a revolution in Canon land ;-)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
nhz said:
Sharlin said:

Interesting indeed, but with so many rumors (and some specs easy to guess) some are bound to be almost right by chance ...

As for the DR, if that means 21% more when measured in stops/Ev's (e.g. 14.0 instead of 11.6 low ISO DR) that would close the gap with Sony/Nikon and be almost a revolution in Canon land ;-)
my bet is that the 21percent more is not measured in stops..... And when you convert it into stops you get an increase of 0.144..... But that said, every bit helps.....

Upvote 0
zim said:
Sharlin said:
A new more sturdy swivel screen hing design. Canon also readies a full-frame camera with swivel LCD.

I think if a few more of those predictions had hit the spot then this would have been the most interesting bit, 5div or 6ii. my money would be on the 6ii

I'd say that's almost a sure thing. Why in the world would they not? Of course this is just the type of "no brainer" that Canon gets stubborn about sometimes, so... We'll see.

Upvote 0

nhz

Jan 9, 2016
crashpc said:
Don't panic so fast. We know it is more than that.
No panic here, I think such 21% gain in stops for low ISO DR is perfectly possible looking at e.g. DXO ratings for 70D and Nikon D7200. I just don't know if Canon will deliver but we should know within a month or so. Otherwise Nikon has a tasty alternative just around the corner (tired of waiting for Canon to catch up in DR).

Upvote 0