International power question

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Headed to Europe from the US before too long. I may just bring two fully charged batteries for my 5D3 and call it good. But someone please remind me -- if I wanted to use my (US plug version) Canon battery charger, do I use...

• A simple plug adaptor (because the charger itself is a form of transformer)

• A simple plug adaptor + a transformer

Int'l travel is usually just a laptop / iDevice sort of charging proposition for me, and those have in-line transformers, so I've rarely had this come up. Just wanted to make sure I avoid calamity appropriately if I did bring the charger.

Thx,
A

Mar 25, 2011
The US chargers come in wall wart style rather than with a power cord. I personally would not be wanting to put a adaptor on one of these to use with 220V. The chargers with a power cord are safer to use that way.

The gray market cameras come with that style of charger, so only a different power cord is needed for different countries. I wish the US models came that way, but Canon saves a dollar by using the integrated plug.

Upvote 0
I have recently had success when using USB chargers for my LP-E6N and LP-E17. They charge two batteries at the same time. Great for traveling, and if I lose one, only $12 to replace, while the original canon one is around $50.
They have charged the batteries up to full no problem.

I avoid 3rd party batteries, but have had luck with the chargers.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2013
I used the original 5DIII and 7DII battery chargers in Japan, 100V; Scotland, 220V; Hong Kong, 220/240V; New Zealand, 220V all with a wall adaptor only. The charger accepts the range of voltages and charged the batteries with no issue.
I have a "universal" wall adaptor plus a 1-to-3 connector so I can have 3 devices (iPad, iPhone, PowerBook or charger) plugged into the wall at the same time.
-r

Upvote 0