Is a Canon EOS R7 Mark II coming this year? [CR2]

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The R7 was to some extent a placeholder, given it effectively reused an existing sensor; so perhaps it's not surprising a newer model would come sooner.

What I find intriguing is where it would land in terms of price and features - a lot of enthusiasts on here are clamouring for better features, but that would surely bump up the price a fair bit. Does Canon want to push it upmarket at the expense of losing (relatively) mass market appeal?
And if they keep the same price point, what will Canon improve: read out speed or resolution? I can imagine Canon putting in a much faster, but lower resolution sensor.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Hell Yeah!

The R7 is clearly not the best Canon could have built in terms of mirrorless APS-C. The 32,5MP Sensor is actually taken from the 90D and has a slow readout. The lack of a vertical grip mount is one of the top three reasons people do not like her that much. And it makes sense - a flagship camera needs the ability for accessories like a battery grip.

So if they want to attack Fuji's XT-5 with a fast 40MP sensor, they need to develop it. My guess on realistic specs for the R7 II:

35-40MP stacked BSI Sensor (much faster readout, better low-light performance)
15 fps mechanical
40-50 fps electronic
newest AF (what a surprise)
6K @ 60fps
4K @ 120fps (crop)
up to 4K @ 60fps oversampled from 6-7K
1080p @ 180/240 fps (?)
6 to 8 stops IBIS
new multiangle LCD, like it is likely to come on the R5 II (same size, same resolution)
most likely a new processor: DIGIC X II /DIGIC XI
hopefully we get a successor to the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM (--> RF-S 16-60mm f2.8 IS USM)
a better EVF, 4-6MP
ISO down to 50/64?

if there will be no R7C comming, then the R7 II gets:
RAW Video (10/12-bit Video)
8K capabilites (yes, we need at least 38MP for that)
Canon Log 2 and 3
Dual ISO (100/1600)
hopefully a full HDMI output

An announcement would be plausible between April and September, with a market start between June and October.

As said, these are my more or less realistic guesses. Let me know your thoughts on to this.

A personal note: I use a 77D and a 90D with 17-55mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8. My step into the mirrorless system would be the R7, but the lack of a battery grip and the slower sensor gives me hope for a R7 II this year... INCLUDING a fast zoom lense for APS-C, but we will see. If not lets hope that Sigma gives us the acess to their lenses for RF/RF-S

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Yeah probably a bit too far-fetched, I just thought there would be a bit less development if the pixel pitch is the same.
It is more likely that they do a high resolution APS-C stacked sensor first, and then scale it up to a high megapixel FF camera later on.

Or maybe they just don't use a stacked crop sensor at all like Sony, in order to keep the price point.
Yesterday's post is only a patient, but it's possible it could come to fruition.

Upvote 0
Same body shape and size as the R6II and same battery grip. Stacked 40MP sensor to compete directly with both Fujifilm X-H2 and X-H2S and Canon will have a winner.
“Clear Winner” Only if Canon can match the APSC lens lineup.
Fuji clearly has everyone beat in that respect.
Fuji also has Canon beat on video specs… big time.

I really wish Canon would give us a true APSC Flagship and stop it with the Canon Cripple Hammer!
You can’t even use an external monitor with the R7.. heck even R6 and the internal codex’s are… unsatisfactory.

Still, love my Canon gear tho I do own Fuji as well.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
“Clear Winner” Only if Canon can match the APSC lens lineup.
I would not hold your breath waiting for that. Canon has shown only very limited interest in high quality APS-C lenses, and that was a long time ago. With the entire market shifting toward FF cameras, I think it's even less likely, now.

However, there are several reasonably-priced RF lenses that perform very well with APS-C cameras, e.g. the 16/2.8, 28/2.8 and 100-400.

Upvote 0
I think as much as everyone hates the back dial…I actually love it. It took getting used to but it’s so useful. Stacked sensor would be great. Faster readout speed is essential. And make sure the autofocus actually keeps up with the shutter. A little more resolution wouldn’t go unappreciated but honestly it’s already a beast when it comes to sharpness and image quality.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
R7 is the only Canon camera I own.. I came over to Canon from a Nikon D500. The wheel that everyone seems to hate doesn\'t bother me. In fact, if a Mk II had a different control layout it would probably bother me for a while until I got used to the new location. Stacked sensor would be great. I like the body size and wouldn\'t change it but if it had the R6ii body I\'d be OK. I know a lot of people want a battery grip and I would\'t object to setting the camera up to accept one. I had a battery / vertical grip for my D500 and I think I had it attached maybe 3 or 4 times. I shoot mainly wildlife and am on the move all the time. I\'m not a stand in one place with a tripod kind of shooter. The extra weight of the grip plus battery was not a positive for me and I would assume the same for a grip for the R7ii. But I wouldn\'t want to deny such a grip for those who want it. I just wouldn\'t be buying it.

If they keep it at 32.5 MP or so, stacked sensor to reduce rolling shutter and next generation autofocus, I\'ll be first in line to get one.

• Love
Upvote 0
Maybe the rumoured camera will be a high-end body with another name, leaving the R7 where it currently sits in the range?
R9 is available. But that would mess up the naming scheme even more
I always thought the R9 might become a full-frame entry level stripped off all accessories such as EVF and maybe even fewer dials/ buttons than the R8.

Edit: thinking about it: I can´t imagine Canon giving two very similar cameras each a single digit naming scheme. Nope, not happening

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
If they include a stacked sensor whether 40mp or 32.5mp which is sufficient enough it'll greatly eliminate rolling shutter. The 30 fps shutter speed is excellent though wouldn't mind the 40 fps of the R6 MKii.

The body style of the R6 MKii would be an ideal size for an R7 MKii not too big and not too small. Love the R6 MKii which complements the R7 nicely if you have both.

The R7 is no slouch in performance. You'd be surprised how well it can capture smaller birds in flight, such as Hummingbirds feeding. But there's always room for improvement particularly low light situations such as when you're shooting owls nearer dawn or dusk or in more dimly lit forests.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
This development would actually be kind of similar to the R6.
A mark1 that is quite good und performs well in its price range, but has some annoying limitations, soon followed by a Mark2 that gets a better sensor and much better performance overall but costs quite a bit more.
The R6 II was not much more expensive than the R6 when the R6 II was released.
It also had the original release price of the R6.

Upvote 0
Am I the only one who actually likes the R7 control wheel?
Nope I have come to love the dials and controls on my R7. And I don't get all these people whining about readout speed? Maybe I just don't push mine hard enough? I have never hit the buffer on my R7 not once? I shoot 15 FPS electronic because the mechanical shutter is just a non-starter for me. And the rolling shutter has rarely been an issue.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2023
The R7 was to some extent a placeholder, given it effectively reused an existing sensor; so perhaps it's not surprising a newer model would come sooner.

What I find intriguing is where it would land in terms of price and features - a lot of enthusiasts on here are clamouring for better features, but that would surely bump up the price a fair bit. Does Canon want to push it upmarket at the expense of losing (relatively) mass market appeal?
Yes, how many would actually pay $3,000 US plus for this stacked sensor mark II? Not me. Happy R7 user. Would I like a faster readout speed, sure. But I love that thumb dial location, but I will make no claims like most people here that my opinion is universal.

• Love
Upvote 0