Is a Canon RF 60mm f/1.0L USM on the way? [CR1]

I have the original Canon EF 50mm F1.0L USM and I hope the RF version will have a lot more contrast & sharpness. At F1.0 the background is dreamy, yes, but the subject is not exactly sharp... Tested on my Canon EOS R6. With the EOS R5 there is absolutely no gain in sharpness.
If this moster (size is exactly equal to the Canon EF 85mm F1.2 USM) would be sharp and contrasty, than this would be a real winner!
With the lens beeing 60mm it would result in a even bigger and heaviery housing than the Canon RF 85mm F1.2 USM...

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Darn again! Right after I got the RF 50 1.2L you come out with this?!? :mad:

60mm is a fl I am not used to - ok scratch that, I have the HC 100mm which with my digital back translates to 62mm FOV... and I do like it. Yes it's not the same thing but hmmmm...

Oh well, I guess I shouldn't stress out too much :rolleyes:

Let's see the cost (assuming it will ever come out) and the entity of my bonus :ROFLMAO:

I've always salivated after the mythical EF 50mm 1.0 but was always put off by the risk of losing it due to the impossibility of repairs... this one might bring me to the bright side

Yes, you shouldn't stress out because it's only a CR1 rumor, not on the roadmap, and no known patents. The rumor appeared in Canon Watch's inbox and apparently is spreading across the internet with absolutely no reason to think it is real.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Why do people assume that all pics/portraits with fast lenses must be close up head shots? If that is the extent of our creativity, then maybe we should stick to f/4-5.6?
Close up head shots distort facial features making people look weird , a lens like this would be great for full body or nearly full body at about 4-5m away .
A longer lens like a 200mm f/2 or similar is better for headshots

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
I have the original Canon EF 50mm F1.0L USM and I hope the RF version will have a lot more contrast & sharpness. At F1.0 the background is dreamy, yes, but the subject is not exactly sharp... Tested on my Canon EOS R6. With the EOS R5 there is absolutely no gain in sharpness.
If this moster (size is exactly equal to the Canon EF 85mm F1.2 USM) would be sharp and contrasty, than this would be a real winner!
With the lens beeing 60mm it would result in a even bigger and heaviery housing than the Canon RF 85mm F1.2 USM...
According to Ken Rockwell the EF 50mm f/1.0 is very sharp and contrasty but it has to be perfectly in focus https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/50mm-f1.htm

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sludz

CR Pro
Sep 16, 2020
After learning that I could like the "standard focal length" with my EF-M 32 on my M50 I am really interested in such a lens. If it has a max. magnification of roughly 1:5 it might be worth some investment! Just for fun!
And what an interesting tool with a C70 (with its internal ND filters) ...
Right when I saw this rumor I got extremely excited for the possibility of this on the c70. I'd finally get a nice prime closer to an 85 fl equivalent!

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Yes, you shouldn't stress out because it's only a CR1 rumor, not on the roadmap, and no known patents. The rumor appeared in Canon Watch's inbox and apparently is spreading across the internet with absolutely no reason to think it is real.
I was just kidding about stressing and considering selling body parts :ROFLMAO:

The 135mm f/2L have will keep working perfectly... but I do expect sooner or later that Canon will fill up the RF system almost to EF levels.

And I hope it will be with a mix of affordable and "crazy" lenses like this one.

It's all good :cool:

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2015
Why do people assume that all pics/portraits with fast lenses must be close up head shots? If that is the extent of our creativity, then maybe we should stick to f/4-5.6?
I have no idea. But every time there is talk about a new fast lens, I see people complaining that noses and ears will be too blurry because of shallow DOF (and how not having everything sharp is a user error).
I shoot with fast lenses all the time, and vast majority of pictures I take have nothing to do with close up headshots.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Close up head shots distort facial features making people look weird , a lens like this would be great for full body or nearly full body at about 4-5m away .
A longer lens like a 200mm f/2 or similar is better for headshots
I agree that 50-60mm is generally too wide for a very close head shot, but that sort of focal length can work quite well at half body lengths too at 2m or sometimes even closer. People are so used to seeing images taken with the wide angle lens of a phone these days that a certain amount of perspective distortion can actually appear more 'natural' or 'real' to many people. At least in my field (fashion photography), this seems to be the case and sometimes even a 35mm lens will be used at closer proximity for an even greater perspective distortion. Trends are always changing ;)

Personally I also prefer an 85mm for tight beauty shots for similar reasons. But this is all very subjective obviously....

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

drhuffman87

Eos R, RF24-105 F4L, RF85 F2, EF200 F2.8L II
Nov 5, 2020
www.drhuffmanphoto.com
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Right when I saw this rumor I got extremely excited for the possibility of this on the c70. I'd finally get a nice prime closer to an 85 fl equivalent!
Yes, 85mm is a little bit "denser" but isn't the 50mm on super 35 similar to 85mm FL (while both aspect ratios aren't directly comparable)?
Just checked it: it's roughly 1.5 so a 50mm is similar to 75mm and 85mm will give us ~130mm. But maybe you are after ~130mm?! - it is another great focal length!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Yes, 85mm is a little bit "denser" but isn't the 50mm on super 35 similar to 85mm FL (while both aspect ratios aren't directly comparable)?
Just checked it: it's roughly 1.5 so a 50mm is similar to 75mm and 85mm will give us ~130mm. But maybe you are after ~130mm?! - it is another great focal length!
60 x1.5=90mm. I think he meant equivalent to 85mm... So very close.

Upvote 0
According to Ken Rockwell the EF 50mm f/1.0 is very sharp and contrasty but it has to be perfectly in focus https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/50mm-f1.htm
Well first of all it is very difficult to get perfect focus, and if you have seen the sample fotos of Ken, then you can see that the sharp contures always have kind of ghosting around it. This reduces the contrast. Adobe PS can enhance the contrast, but it is not comparable to the contrast of a RF 85mm F1.2 ... But the lens is 32 Years old, I know...

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
This sounds like a very cool lens.

Likely will be super expensive tho and may be hard to financially justify if you already have a 50 1.2 and 85 1.2.

IMO, one way CANON could add value to this lens is to lay off on the SA correction a bit so that the overall bokeh style is more in line with the old EF 50 1.2/85 1.2 than the new RF 50 1.2/85 1.2; that would give buyers of those new RF lenses a big reason to get this one. People would be buying this for the bokeh and no other reason, anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0