Is a dedicated astrophotography EOS R coming in 2019? [CR1]

Just remember, many of the astro people who would use would not even need a lens. Most of these astro people will be putting their cameras directly to their telescopes with an adapter, so no lens needed. The only folks who would need lenses are those doing astro style landscapes, where this modification wouldn't be as useful.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
My comment on the last thread,

" Stuart replied to the thread Canon’s roadmap for 2019, included an EOS R camera that no one is expecting? [CR2].
An astro version - scratch scratch?
Saturday at 5:59 AM
"

Did someone read it and become the new CR1 source?

Or, What if Canon has a few EOS R's left over and just using a different filter helps them shift them? Cynical?
Cynical no, practical yes! At the same time it would be the first official FF Canon Astrocamera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
That would certainly make me scratch my head. No doubt astrophotography is more popular than ever, but I can't imagine that the market of those tinkering with astrophotography is large enough to justify a body like this. I think Canon even said that the 60Da was unsuitable for regular photography because of the IR filter set up.

Certainly anecdotal, but for many of the people I see doing astrophotogrpahy, it is only part of what they're shooting and not all of it. Likely hard to justify a dedicated astrophotography camera for many potential customers. And for those who are willing to buy a dedicated astro camera, I suspect that they may not need or want a full frame - most seem to be using cropped sensor cameras on trackers and the bulk of the investment goes into the telescope it is mounted to. I wonder if the image circle in those telescopes is large enough for a full frame sensor? No idea admittedly.

I am indeed scratching my head.
But wouldn't guys with telescopes want this? Wouldn't require a lens from Canon for that.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Just remember, many of the astro people who would use would not even need a lens. Most of these astro people will be putting their cameras directly to their telescopes with an adapter, so no lens needed. The only folks who would need lenses are those doing astro style landscapes, where this modification wouldn't be as useful.
That's what I was wondering. Other than Milky Way shots, I would think astro photographers rely on telescopes.

Upvote 0
But wouldn't guys with telescopes want this? Wouldn't require a lens from Canon for that.
a full spectrum camera is probably better than one with just an h-alpha pass filter, not to mention it's not cooled (quite possibly), and 26 or 30mp images are unwieldy.

the problem is the 20da and 60da came out when there was really no other cost-effective alternatives, so it made sense.

but now you have CMOS cooled cameras like this:

https://www.qhyccd.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=94&id=13

it makes having a large camera pretty obsolete.

not to mention, a camera such as that can go on a hyperstared Schmidt-Cassegrain while the EOS RP,etc is limited.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
I shot this on my Canon EOS R using the RF 35mm F/1.8 STM lens stopped down to F/2.0 for coma.

I would love to get more latitude on both ends of the light spectrum with the sensor. It would also be great to have a dedicated intervalometer for ramping holy grail timelapses. Some other features could be an internal closure for the eyepiece to block light, dedicated color temperatures for night skies, a better way to regulate sensor temperature, a simple process that takes blackout frames for noise compensation in camera, a night-mode for all screens, better battery performance (think ability to connect to a battery pack), improved infinity focus peaking, and illuminated or glowing buttons externally.

I think Canon's biggest hurdle is lenses as almost all their fast primes exhibit the annoying coma aberration. I saw this at f/1.8 on the 35mm lens in my most recent tests. It's Milky Way season this week, and this news is exciting!
Awesome!

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
a full spectrum camera is probably better than one with just an h-alpha pass filter, not to mention it's not cooled (quite possibly), and 26 or 30mp images are unwieldy...

Makes me think this deserves the CR1 rating.

Upvote 0
An astro R camera could also be useful for infrared photography. It would have much more sensitivity to the infrared spectrum. You would of course still need to use IR cut filters to remve the colour component but the exposure length would be significantly shorter than with a normal camera. Not sure that you can get very specific wavelength lens filters as you can with dedicated IR-converted cameras though

Upvote 0