Is Pixel-Shift coming to the Canon EOS R5?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We reported earlier this week that Canon would release a major firmware update for the Canon EOS R5 this year, likely sometime in Q2. While firmware feature leaks are rare, we’re receiving a lot of chatter about what is coming. One feature that may be coming to the Canon EOS R5 for stills shooters is

See full article...

fr34k

Canon R5 and lots of RF glass
Jul 16, 2022
I hope that's not the only "new" thing and that there is also quite a bit (best = all) of "old" stuff as well...
Technically sometime in the latter half of March the update might drop as that fits the schedule unto now (~ every four months (March/July/Nov)), but they could very much wait until April, let's hope it comes with more instead of less, the date then is secondary...

Upvote 0
Nov 15, 2022
If this also applies to R6II and R8, it would make these cameras even more attractive as it increases their apparent pixel counts.
Without IBIS no Pixel-Shift. So R8 is out, but my guess would be that this is a premium feature and will not come to R6 and R6 II like SONY does it.
But also could be because Panasonic has it in the S5 II.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
It's not just the presence of it which would interest me, but how well it is implemented from a usability POV
I tested the Panasonic S1R a few years ago and was able to get some excellent outdoor shots with it and the TS-E24 II and TS-E50

Detailed Panasonic S1R camera review

Yes, worth a few goes just to be sure, but very capable of handling moving leaves in the 'movement' mode

Recently testing the GFX100S, it also has it, but seems much more studio based without a good 'ignore moving stuff' processing option.

I'd always hoped Canon were leaving it off until they had it working well AND useful modes of using it.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
It’s nice to see the R5 getting all these features added. Three years later Canon finally admits that the whole overheating and recording limits where all simply firmware cripples.

Now Canon, can we add opengate mode to the $6K Canon R3? And while you are at it, how about enabling the extra two audio channel when using the Tascam audio adapter?

Let’s just be done with the crippling of these cameras once and for all.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
It’s nice to see the R5 getting all these features added. Three years later Canon finally admits that the whole overheating and recording limits where all simply firmware cripples.

Now Canon, can we add opengate mode to the $6K Canon R3? And while you are at it, how about enabling the extra two audio channel when using the Tascam audio adapter?

Let’s just be done with the crippling of these cameras once and for all.
Where did Canon admit that the overheating is a firmware cripple? Sorry, I missed it.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Where did Canon admit that the overheating is a firmware cripple? Sorry, I missed it.
Many test were done back when the R5 was first released. Running the camera off AC power in full 8K it could run for hours without issue. Battery door switch defeats. Just tons of things that people did to show that the overheat was indeed caused by a firmware cripple… Canon maintained that the limitations were real and not artificially imposed via firmware. Well, if real physical hardware limitations, then the release of firmware 1.6 could not have magically fixed the R5 overheating issue… Yet it did.

With the release of firmware 1.6 Canon admitted through actions that the assumptions that they had imposed artificial recording limitations on the R5 were in fact true. There is simply no other conclusion that could reasonably be reached.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Pixel shift is a tick list feature that spec junkies want but in reality very few use.

The reason why the R5 gets very little firmware love for photographers is because its already a totally excellent stills camera.

There is just more to improve from a video/hybrid perspective and I personally feel more video improvements are needed on the R5 to keep if fresh and current in 2023.

Upvote 0

KT

Feb 2, 2012
If this also applies to R6II and R8, it would make these cameras even more attractive as it increases their apparent pixel counts.
Two Things to say: 1) Although it is logical to assume that if such functionality works in the R5 it would work as well for the R6 II, I seriously doubt Canon would allow this to happen as it would dilute the appeal of the R5. Think about it this way, if you needed a high-res camera, why would you fork $3900 for the R5 when you could have a very similar resolution from the R6 II .

2) The R8 doesn't have image stabilization so multi-shot high-res is a non-starter in this camera

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
With the release of firmware 1.6 Canon admitted through actions that the assumptions that they had imposed artificial recording limitations on the R5 were in fact true. There is simply no other conclusion that could reasonably be reached.
I don't shoot movies and haven't followed the issue closely, but one thing I'd mention is that if Canon gives an ability officially, it has to work right and not damage the camera via overheating or what have you. It's possible Canon didn't have the data, or did have the data and it failed the internal criteria of the time. So if it's been allowed since then, it could be an engineering change such as new algorithms that use less CPU and thus make less heat. Or perhaps a new business rule as to reliability requirements, or a business decision that at this point in the product cycle they'd rather make more sales even it means more warranty repairs. Finally I recall part of the problem was heat from the memory cards? I can't recall, but if so, perhaps new memories over the last few years include some which make less heat?

I totally agree you could be right that it's purposeful artificial limitations. I'm just saying it's not the only possible reason.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Many test were done back when the R5 was first released. Running the camera off AC power in full 8K it could run for hours without issue. Battery door switch defeats. Just tons of things that people did to show that the overheat was indeed caused by a firmware cripple… Canon maintained that the limitations were real and not artificially imposed via firmware. Well, if real physical hardware limitations, then the release of firmware 1.6 could not have magically fixed the R5 overheating issue… Yet it did.

This is how conspiracy theories are born. Just because Canon could fix it later does not mean it was not a real problem in the beginning.
Software can be optimized to use the hardware more efficiently. Also software can be fine-tuned to use the temperature sensor data in a better way.

They might have limited the recording times before because software was not as fine tuned and efficient and it was a risk of camera overheat and hardware damage.

Similar situation happened with the EOS R when the later firmware update improved AF significantly.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0