Is the 5D Mark IV dead or not

sfericean

R3, R5, R6 x 2, & 1DXIII x 2
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Bellflower, CA
www.youtube.com
I have to say another thing. I have both the 5DIV and EOS R. Both systems are great. I recently did some video work for my employer and the C-Log on the 5DIV is so gorgeous. I also take corporate head shots (for my employer) and the 5DIV just produces some of the most beautiful high quality pictures. That's not to say the EOS R produces crap. They both produce great photos and videos. Really you can't go wrong with either system. The 5DIV will continue to produce the same gorgeous images and video that it does right now and the R series will do the same. For their intended purposes, both systems produce amazing results.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2018
If Canon doesn't release the 5D Mark V, then I will go back and shoot professional photo events with a 2008 1Ds Mark III in protest! That'll show them!
200.webp

Hmm, but they will still be getting 21 Mp images, which is on par with today's standards.
giphy.gif

...on second thought, make that a protest with the the 2001 Canon EOS-1D! They'll be crying from the 4 Mp images!
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

sfericean

R3, R5, R6 x 2, & 1DXIII x 2
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Bellflower, CA
www.youtube.com
Is it any different than the C-Log on the EOS R?
The only difference is that the older processor makes it look a little bit different. When filming people it just smooths over so nicely. The EOS R seems to have a much sharper image overall. Which may not necessarily be more desirable when filming faces you know? Either way; 5DIV C-Log, EOS R Orginal C-Log, and EOS R Neutral C-Log all look great if you know how to grade them!.

Here's a link (no sound) to a portion of the video from work. 5DIV, 30fps, 70-200 F2.8 IS USM III:

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
?? Last time I checked, mine still works...

My question is, have they gotten rid of the viewfinder and shutter lag on the new R5 and R6? Or the EVF "flash" issue? How about fluidness when tracking? AF responsiveness? As an RP owner as well, I find these to be the biggest drawbacks of the new system, and as long as they exist in some form, the 5D4 isn't going anywhere (except, perhaps, if a 5D5 with R5 specs turns up...)

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... but this mirrorless VS DSLR is driving me insane.
It's called GAS (= Gear Acquirement Syndrom) what you have ;)
That stuff surely looks good - on spec as well as in RL.
But is it worth the money for you?

The main two therapeutic approaches:
  1. Go out with your current gear, enjoy taking photos with it and don't look too often after CR and reviews.
  2. Have the money, spend the money, find out that you want to spend even more money and think about selling one of your kidneys ;)

If you're good in it maybe this helps

3. Meditate and be happy. ;)
I prefer #1.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
?? Last time I checked, mine still works...

My question is, have they gotten rid of the viewfinder and shutter lag on the new R5 and R6? Or the EVF "flash" issue? How about fluidness when tracking? AF responsiveness? As an RP owner as well, I find these to be the biggest drawbacks of the new system, and as long as they exist in some form, the 5D4 isn't going anywhere (except, perhaps, if a 5D5 with R5 specs turns up...)

I would certainly expect the R5 to be in a different class than the RP when it comes to autofocus. The R5 could easily be the best autofocus in any camera, based of the 1DX3 (live view shooting) reviews. I'd expect a quite speedier camera (shutter lag, etc) in general.

If you prefer an OVF, there's really not a whole lot that can be done to completely remove the issues—it's just physics.

Upvote 0