Is the RF 28-70 f2 trying to be too many things at once?

Jan 29, 2011
Here is what your 'example' actually did. It was actually shot with a longer focal length but was said to be a 24 mm with a 28mm crop in it. As you can see it is a rediculous and dishonest comparison when the widest focal length isn’t used as the base shot. This was actually shot with a 100mm focal length from the same place as the previous two images with the truck to frame left.
4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Like I said, I'm glad this lens exists, it's pretty neat. But in the end, if I want fast, I'll use a prime, if I want versatility, I'll use a 24-70 zoom. This compromises in both of those departments. All it really does is saves you a lens change. I feel like a combination of a 24mm and 50mm prime could do most of the things this lens could as long as you don't mind some cropping, and with much faster apertures.

Upvote 0
Let me say right up front that I think it's great that Canon is already trying to push the boundaries of what's capable with the RF lens mount. The fact that anything as crazy as a full frame 28-70 f2 exists at all is great, and I hope Canon keeps pushing.

But honestly, from the standpoint of "would I actually buy this," I'm having trouble getting excited about this lens. It's massively big and heavy, and massively expensive. And for all of that, what do you really get? It's not quite as fast as a prime (not even close to the fastest L primes), and it doesn't have quite the wide angle capabilities of a 24-70. I feel like it's a lens that's painted itself into a corner by trying to be everything all at once. And as a result it doesn't really give you the speed you'd expect from a prime, or the focal length range you'd expect from a zoom.

Maybe it's just the way I shoot, but I never really expect one lens to do everything for me. If I want speed and a nice shallow DOF, I'll use a prime. If I want the versatility of a zoom, I'll use that. A 24-70 2.8 is, to me, limited enough in its zoom range without losing another 4mm in the wide end. So honestly, while technically I'm sure it will be a great lens, it doesn't really seem to excel at having a large zoom range or a very fast aperture, which makes me wonder if it would ever be worth dropping $3000 on.

All Good points. This is why I still keep the Miserable M-series bodies (M-5) because their size is amazing for the IQ you get.. the 11-22, the F2 22mm, real damn curious how the new 35mm is. I keep a Leica M 50mm f1.4 adapted to the Canon EF-M as my 50mm. Its such a small system that used all of my canon gear. That whole kit fits in a tenba BYOB bag in my backpack or in a think tank mirrorless 20 backpack..with circular polarizers and ND filters (Small diameter EF-M lenses). Absolute magic!

Sounds like canon will come out with a proper RF 24-70, even IS for the Event/wedding market. But this F2 28-70.... I think it has its niche..viable niche... if you do not want to carry primes with you.. you have your 28mm group, 50mm couple and your 70mm portrait lens in one at F2. In that case.. its a really small lens! For engagement shots, even B camera wedding shooters, that just one lens they have to carry! no swapping! For event, stop down to f5.6 to get the group in focus, then at f2 for portraits. All in one lens, no swaps.

Folks call it a solution looking for problem. This may be the 1 "walk around" lens for the event shooter!

...just a thought here...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
For someone who's willing to make the compromise of only having f2 at their disposal, sure, it's great. But I like shooting at wider apertures than that too much to really be satisfied by this lens. That bugs me more than losing the 4mm on the wide end. If this were a 28-70 f1.4, then sign me up. As it is, I'm not really going crazy over it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Markeran

1Dx mk2 / 5D4 + 14 EF lenses / EOS R + 3 RF lenses
Could not disagree more. When I look at my LR library over 15+ years of shooting, most of my personal favorite images are in the length covered by that lens. This is why we're just in the realm of opinions here. This isn't right for you. For me, it makes a ton of sense and I preordered the first night it was available at B&H.

A few specific thoughts, though: it's funny to suggest that 24mm is substantially different than 28mm. This image (not mine, found it by searching) compares the 24mm and 28mm coverage. It's not nothing, but it's not a game changer, and it made me laugh that you say 24-70 is significantly different in capability than 28-70. In this sample image, I'd argue that the 28mm offers a better crop of this mage with less dead space. The leading line created by the pathway moves the viewer's eye really nicely through the 24mm crop, but at 28mm that leading line peters out with about 15% of the image above it. I also think the houses end up placed more pleasingly to the eye in the 24mm crop. This is, of course, personal preference.

24-28.jpg

While your critiques of the speed are broadly sound in that they are not unreasonable, in many cases f2.0 is very, very workable in a lot of lighting conditions. Is it slower than the RF 50 1.2 I have? Undoubtedly. Does having a zoom range make this a great travel/general-purpose lens? YES, and that's why I bought it. The speed is enough to enable shooting in a wide range of conditions, and while the lens is big and heavy, I'm a big guy (6'2", 215lbs) and having a high-performance f2.0 zoom is enough that I can travel with one lens. I'm on the road a lot for work and taking my camera to parties, dinners, walking around, etc and this is a great option for a lens that serves those needs with really solid performance characteristics. I have a good friend who's a pro shooter, and her 24-70 is her most used lens. A full extra stop of light is substantial for her, coupled with the high performance of the RF mount lenses.

Also, it's hilarious that you're complaining that the fastest constant-aperture zoom lens ever released isn't fast enough. Nothing's ever good enough, eh?

I agree, ordered one and...can't wait to have it delivered today or tomorrow!

Upvote 0
Like I said, I'm glad this lens exists, it's pretty neat. But in the end, if I want fast, I'll use a prime, if I want versatility, I'll use a 24-70 zoom. This compromises in both of those departments. All it really does is saves you a lens change. I feel like a combination of a 24mm and 50mm prime could do most of the things this lens could as long as you don't mind some cropping, and with much faster apertures.

Your point about primes holds true for all zoom lenses, so that's hardly a criticism of this lens in particular. They have increased the maximum aperture, so in that regard it's better than what was available before, meaning this criticism is *less* valid than for e.g. f/2.8 zooms. I'm not sure what the point of this thread is tbh, other than you saying this lens doesn't fit your needs *shrug*.

Upvote 0
I suppose that the 28-70 f2L is a kind of marketing stunt lens. One to show the competition what Canon can do if they have the will and the budget. Reading recent artilces from Canon, they suspect that the 35mm market (DSLR and RF) will contract 50% over the next few years. So these new lenses (while Canon still has an R&D budget to play with) will be it for a while. Once all the RF lenses are available, there won't be a lot of development left in the Canon budget going forwards. So they are designing like mad...while they still can.
I haven't yet had a chance to try one of these lenses, and I'd very much like to try one. But...regardless of how good it is...I'm not happy about the £3K UKP price or the need for a £2400 UKP camera body that isn't that great ergonomically. A 5D4 is a far far better camera for a similar price point.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0