Is this a FD lens, or modified?

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
HI all,

A friend came across that appears to be a Canon FD lens, 400mm f/2.8.
I'd mentioned this on a previous thread asking about adapter.

I finally got 2 adapters in today, one for adapting FD to EF lens mount, and another for adapting FD to Fuji GFX mount.

I've tried both adapters and neither come close to fitting and locking onto the FD lens.

I've never seen a FD mount before and so far, I've not had a lot of luck looking online for pictures of FD lens mounts.

I've taken some pics, can anyone here let me know if this is a FD mount, or, as I suspect, possibly someone along the lines has altered this lens for a different mount, which I have read was something folks have done in the years between the EF mount switch and mirrorless cameras which are more readily adaptable.

If you recognize this has been altered from FD, if you have ideas on what mount it might be altered to, please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

tempImagePtGm9K.pngtempImagefkVI16.pngtempImageLy9Krj.pngIMG_6071_web.jpg

Jan 29, 2011
This is what the back of a standard FDn 400mm f2.8 looks like.
iu.jpeg
Nothing like yours!

However the earlier version of FD 400mm f2.8 looked a little different, though this is a 600mm f4 it had the same style mount. Much closer to yours.

I believe on that earliest super tele FD breech-lock design you put the body on the lens and slide the rear most black ring on the lens back and twist it. On normal early FD lenses you just put it on the body and twist the silver breech-lock ring.
iu-1.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
This is what the back of a standard FDn 400mm f2.8 looks like.
View attachment 196312
Nothing like yours!

However the earlier version of FD 400mm f2.8 looked a little different, though this is a 600mm f4 it had the same style mount. Much closer to yours.

I believe on that earliest super tele FD breech-lock design you put the body on the lens and slide the rear most black ring on the lens back and twist it. On normal early FD lenses you just put it on the body and twist the silver breech-lock ring.
View attachment 196313

Thank you.

Yes I had read there were iterations of this FD mount over time and from looking at your examples, it does NOT look like that first one....at all (the more modern one).

And looking at that second image...doesn't really look like that either.

I don't have any black rings to turn to lock anything like that...it is just the mount area, and then the black dial/ring that opens and closes the aperture.

I'm thinking this thing has been modified somehow.

They're wanting like $400 for this thing. While the glass on it looks to be in good shape....the front "hood" part of the lens has a pretty large dent in it, so It wouldn't be able to take a hood or filter of any type.....and with this apparently non-standard mount on the back, well, I dunno if it would be worth my time.

I saw the suggestion of taking a mount off a cheaper, FD lens, but I don't really have tools or know how on this...and while ti might be a fun project, it would involve spending more $$ on an unproven lens.

Darn...I was kinda hoping to have some fun with a big white...but starting to think this might be one to pass on....

Thank you for the replies and any other comments greatly appreciated and welcomed.

cayenne

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Cayenne.
Doesn't that look like an EF mount? Do you have some cheap macro tubes to try?
I would say that the quality of the engineering suggests that it is a home fitted mount, and it may have a ’coarse‘ modification to move the aperture lever into a “safe” area of the body?
a picture of an EF mount for comparison.
2FAA2A92-1F69-450F-AF1A-DC7F829CBC64.jpeg
At $400 it would sure be tempting even given the crude engineering!

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
hehehe... a "friend"

Congrats on your purchase.

OH, I've not purchased it yet at all.

My friend is is one of those that bids on storage lockers, etc....he found this in there. Let me have it to see what I could make out of what it was, etc...and I could buy if I wanted.

He said he's in no hurry, he knows where I live, haha.

Anyway...hmm....that idea to try to see if it is now an EF lens sounds interesting...I'll find a macro tube and see if that fits....

C

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0