ISO TESTING, BY STUPID METHODS

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Dear Friends.
I am not high tech guy, and very minimum knowledge of camera technique.
Yes, This Afternoon, I just try to use the ISO, start from 100, up to 25,600 at my usual bird shots = under the tree, in the day time.
Sorry, Too cold temperature, and No Birds around my home, I just use the model Bird = 6 inches tall, 150 feet distant from my camera, 7D MK II, EF 600 mm. L IS with Canon 2X MK II, On heavy Tripods. ( Adjust Back Focus at - 7). One spot AF at the head of Bird, and Spot meter.

Shoot with Self timmer.
Here are the Result. Ha, Ha, Ha---My old poor eyes only see the minor difference, Sorry
Surapon

No, No flash use on this album, No post Processing, just put the notes, and reduce the size.

Attachments

• T-1.jpg
    T-1.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 202
  • T-2.jpg
    T-2.jpg
    898.1 KB · Views: 200
  • T-3.jpg
    T-3.jpg
    957.5 KB · Views: 231
  • T-4.jpg
    T-4.jpg
    624.1 KB · Views: 224
  • T-5.jpg
    T-5.jpg
    735.5 KB · Views: 175
  • T-6.jpg
    T-6.jpg
    988.3 KB · Views: 194

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Sorry, Too cold temperature, and No Birds around my home, I just use the model Bird = 6 inches tall, 150 feet distant from my camera, 7D MK II, EF 600 mm. L IS with Canon 2X MK II, On heavy Tripods. ( Adjust Back Focus at - 7). One spot AF at the head of Bird, and Spot meter.

Shoot with Self timmer.
Here are the Result. Ha, Ha, Ha---My old poor eyes only see the minor difference, Sorry
Surapon

Attachments

• TI-4.jpg
    TI-4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 175
  • TI-3.jpg
    TI-3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 194
  • TI-2.jpg
    TI-2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 222
  • TI-1.jpg
    TI-1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 224
Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013

Shoot with Self timmer.
Surapon

Attachments

• TI-8.jpg
    TI-8.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 243
  • TI-7.jpg
    TI-7.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 181
  • TI-6.jpg
    TI-6.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 237
  • TI-5.jpg
    TI-5.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 204
Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013

Shoot with Self timmer.
Surapon

Attachments

• TI-9.jpg
    TI-9.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 249
  • TI-10.jpg
    TI-10.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 205
  • TI-11.jpg
    TI-11.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 214
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
It is certainly impressive for high ISO, but you were shooting in strong light (EV 12.3 judging by your exposure). Results from high ISO always looks better when shot in light that is bright enough to not need ihigh ISO. If you'd done this in low light then the difference would become apparent.

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
Thanks for your efforts and thorough testing, Mr Surapon!
It seems to hold up nicely in good light. I checked in the darker parts just under your perched parrot, and it looks a lot cleaner and more well behaved. Should be easier to clean up and get a working shot out of this compared to its older sibling and similar APS-C's.

Not entirely sure, I could be tired and cross eyed by this time of day, but is it possible that the lens still backfocuses on that body, Mr Surapon? To me, it seems like focus could be slightly behind the bird. At that distance I would expect at least 1meter (bit more than 3feet) on either side of your focus point.

Upvote 0
Dear friend Surapon. Not a stupid test, but has many environmental variables that prevent a rigid and repeatable comparison. 8)

To judge the ISO performance of a camera should use a always the same lighting, and make sure the shutter speed will not caisar shake, and make manual focusing with live view before starting the photos, not more alterarr the focus to the test end.

However you can only judge the image noise, regardless of the sharpness.
Thank you, anyway. :D

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Dear Teachers and Friends.
Yes, I want to test the night time photos of the black sky, to see the Noise = Yes, I can see them of the Higher ISO.
Camera, 7D MK II, Lens Tamron (15 years old ) 11-18 mm. F/ 4.5-5.6 SP AF ASPHERICAL Di II LD IF, Set Camera at AV mode at F= 8.0, Set Lens at Manual Focus at Near infinity.
After that, Set IS , start from 100, to the highest ISO of this Camera.
Just Low tech Test in my Idea, Yes, On the medium Tripods, and use Self Timer for minimum Vibration.
Enjoy.
Surapon

Attachments

• N-6.jpg
    N-6.jpg
    706.4 KB · Views: 242
  • N-5.jpg
    N-5.jpg
    781.2 KB · Views: 209
  • N-4.jpg
    N-4.jpg
    771.1 KB · Views: 168
  • N-3.jpg
    N-3.jpg
    798.7 KB · Views: 201
  • N-2.jpg
    N-2.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 187
  • N-1.jpg
    N-1.jpg
    848.5 KB · Views: 200
Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Yes, I want to test the night time photos of the black sky, to see the Noise = Yes, I can see them of the Higher ISO.
Camera, 7D MK II, Lens Tamron (15 years old ) 11-18 mm. F/ 4.5-5.6 SP AF ASPHERICAL Di II LD IF, Set Camera at AV mode at F= 8.0, Set Lens at Manual Focus at Near infinity.
Just Low tech Test in my Idea, Yes, On the medium Tripods, and use Self Timer for minimum Vibration.
Enjoy.
Surapon

Attachments

• N-12.jpg
    N-12.jpg
    805.5 KB · Views: 221
  • N-11.jpg
    N-11.jpg
    722.1 KB · Views: 165
  • N-10.jpg
    N-10.jpg
    690.3 KB · Views: 190
  • N-9.jpg
    N-9.jpg
    745.5 KB · Views: 184
  • N-8.jpg
    N-8.jpg
    729.8 KB · Views: 178
  • N-7.jpg
    N-7.jpg
    685 KB · Views: 223
Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Sporgon said:
It is certainly impressive for high ISO, but you were shooting in strong light (EV 12.3 judging by your exposure). Results from high ISO always looks better when shot in light that is bright enough to not need ihigh ISO. If you'd done this in low light then the difference would become apparent.

Thanks you, Sir, Dear friend Mr. Sporgon.
Yes, Sir, You are right on the target, To night, I already try the Dark Night sky at my home, And see the noise at the high ISO.
Thanks again, Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
DominoDude said:
Thanks for your efforts and thorough testing, Mr Surapon!
It seems to hold up nicely in good light. I checked in the darker parts just under your perched parrot, and it looks a lot cleaner and more well behaved. Should be easier to clean up and get a working shot out of this compared to its older sibling and similar APS-C's.

Not entirely sure, I could be tired and cross eyed by this time of day, but is it possible that the lens still backfocuses on that body, Mr Surapon? To me, it seems like focus could be slightly behind the bird. At that distance I would expect at least 1meter (bit more than 3feet) on either side of your focus point.

Thanks you, Sir dear Friend Mr. DominoDude.
Great Recommendation, and I will try modified Back focus again.
Surapon

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
ajfotofilmagem said:
Dear friend Surapon. Not a stupid test, but has many environmental variables that prevent a rigid and repeatable comparison. 8)

To judge the ISO performance of a camera should use a always the same lighting, and make sure the shutter speed will not caisar shake, and make manual focusing with live view before starting the photos, not more alterarr the focus to the test end.

However you can only judge the image noise, regardless of the sharpness.
Thank you, anyway. :D

Thanks you, Sir, Dear my teacher Mr. ajfotofilmagem.
Yes, Sir, That is a great Idea to use Live view to do manual focus before shooting, to get the best Focus.
Yes, I will try again tomorrow.
I try to adjust the Back Focus from the Camera, But I fail this time, I will try again, Sir.
Yes, in the day time = Very difference light in every 2 minutes, depend on the location of the cloud, You are Right, Sir.
To night, With Minimum Existing Light / Ambian light change, Yes, Sir, I find out that, the Super High ISO of This Camera is usable BUT NOT GOOD YET.
Have a great night, Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0
surapon said:
Enjoy.
Surapon
Dear friend Surapon. This second test has less environmental variables, and the result is more scientifically repeatable.

To make viewing easier noise, I suggest making a crop from the original 20 megapixel, with the central area of the image (the car and the wall of stones) with resolution 1200x800 pixel. I also suggest only display settings for a whole stop ISO, to facilitate comparison.
Please advise if the photos were shot in RAW, JPEG, what picture style, which noise reduction, which sharpening.

Thanks for your time and work. :)

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
ajfotofilmagem said:
surapon said:
Enjoy.
Surapon
Dear friend Surapon. This second test has less environmental variables, and the result is more scientifically repeatable.

To make viewing easier noise, I suggest making a crop from the original 20 megapixel, with the central area of the image (the car and the wall of stones) with resolution 1200x800 pixel. I also suggest only display settings for a whole stop ISO, to facilitate comparison.
Please advise if the photos were shot in RAW, JPEG, what picture style, which noise reduction, which sharpening.

Thanks for your time and work. :)

Dear great Teacher Mr. ajfotofilmagem.
Yes, Sir, I just crop and reduc size the original photos as you recommend, With out Post processing.
Yes, Sir, I have learn a lot of new knowledge from you to day, Thousand thanks, Sir.
Surapon

Attachments

• NN-1.jpg
    NN-1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 211
  • NN-6.jpg
    NN-6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 170
  • NN-5.jpg
    NN-5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 214
  • NN-4.jpg
    NN-4.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 211
  • NN-3.jpg
    NN-3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 154
  • NN-2.jpg
    NN-2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 203
Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
TeT said:
Never a pointless or "stupid" exercise when it gives you the knowledge of how your camera will handle a light situation later when you dont have time to dial it in... just flip a setting and go...

Nice. I too am finding that a +ev will drop noise markedly in many situations...

Thanks you, Sir, Dear Friend Mr. TeT.
Surapon

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Skulker said:
Nice to see some honest tests.

so many we see on here are clearly done to make Canon look bad. These images show what can be expected in the nighttime shots.

It would be nice to see some of the "bird" photo's taken with a less extreme lens.

Thanks you, Sir, Dear Friend Mr. Skulker
I will try to shoot the Birds os small wild lifes around my home this afternoon.
Have a great Sunday, Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0
surapon said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
surapon said:
Yes, Sir, I just crop and reduc size the original photos as you recommend, With out Post processing.
Yes, Sir, I have learn a lot of new knowledge from you to day, Thousand thanks, Sir.
Surapon
Dear friend Surapon.
Yes, we can now clearly see the noise difference in different ISO settings. I would prefer compared to ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800 for a more complete result. But you already have a very fair test. Thank you.

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
ajfotofilmagem said:
surapon said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
surapon said:
Surapon
Dear friend Surapon.
Yes, we can now clearly see the noise difference in different ISO settings. I would prefer compared to ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800 for a more complete result. But you already have a very fair test. Thank you.

Yes, DSir, Dear Teacher Mr. ajfotofilmagem
Here are more Photos for Comparision.
Enjoy.
Surapon.

Attachments

• NN-7.jpg
    NN-7.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 186
  • NN-8.jpg
    NN-8.jpg
    794.9 KB · Views: 180
  • NN-9.jpg