Israel with my Canon 5D Mark III

DB said:
Your production quality was very good - nice straight cuts and your glidecam (presumably you used one) through the rocks was pretty decent (and fluid). I thought the time-lapse sunrise at the start was a neat idea, but due to low light conditions it looked a bit soft as if you were using a low f-stop, generally time-lapse is shot manual stopped down to f11 or so, and never really shot below f5.6 of f8. The 5D3 is the king of the low-light/high-ISO, so you should probably say which settings you used (so others will know and possibly learn).

Finally, it was obviously incredibly sunny and bright during August and don't know if you used any ND filters or even a grad one, some of the shots with sky in them looked a tad overexposed (I know is always a problem when shooting video), then other shots (like the snake on the rocks) looked a bit underexposed. Overall, well done.

You are absolutely right! This timelpase went so wrong. I woke up too late (as a result of exhaustion) and hesitated to set up my camera way too fast and inaccurate.
The single pictures were shot at F1.2 and 1/6400sec ;D ;D ;D
I tried to underexpose it - so the colours of the sunset would become brighter....
the last timelapse (at the very end) in comparison was shot at F22, 1/30sec

As you say, the incredibly bright sunlight was a huge problem. I used a grade filter with ND1 and a polarizing filter - but I couldn't use them on the samyang lense, becouse it has no thread...

I really appreciate your comment! Thank you very much!

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Very nice!!!

What settings did you use on your video? Did you shoot in one of the 'flat' styles and do color grading in Post? What did you use for grading and editing?

What kind of housing did you use for the underwater shots?

I thought it was very nice...the only thing I thought I saw in a few shows...what apparent 'wobble' on the outer periphery of the screen....like image stabilization artifacts?

Did you have a glide cam, or was it all hand held?

Very nice....I liked how much of the shots seemed to be coordinated with music changes...how did you get the timing right for that? I'm still trying to figure that one out with FCPX....

Thanks for posting!!! With all that I see on the news over there, glad you made it back home safely!!!

cayenne

Upvote 0
cayenne said:
Very nice!!!

What settings did you use on your video? Did you shoot in one of the 'flat' styles and do color grading in Post? What did you use for grading and editing?

What kind of housing did you use for the underwater shots?

I thought it was very nice...the only thing I thought I saw in a few shows...what apparent 'wobble' on the outer periphery of the screen....like image stabilization artifacts?

Did you have a glide cam, or was it all hand held?

Very nice....I liked how much of the shots seemed to be coordinated with music changes...how did you get the timing right for that? I'm still trying to figure that one out with FCPX....

Thanks for posting!!! With all that I see on the news over there, glad you made it back home safely!!!

cayenne

Thank you so much for your comment!
You are right! Usually I really hate digital image stabilization, but my glidecam took a lot of sand and became rough and bumpy - so I unfortunaly had to stabilize some scenes afterwards...

I always shoot at low contrast and high saturation. I think adding contrast in the camera just cuts out vital information like textures in dark or light spots... because the 5D III doesn't have a raw Video-file, I let the CPU saturate the raw image file before saving it onto my CF-card. I think it doesn't look that good when saturated afterwards.

For editing and colourgrading I only use the grading curves to ad contrast and in cases of emergency to correct under-/ overexposure.

I used the cheap DiCapac for common DSLRs ;D Was sometimes pretty scared, though...
The Glidecam was always handheld.

Sorry for my bad english... I am very thankful for your comment!

Best regards!

Upvote 0