It’s time to fill those memory cards. Canon releases firmware v1.8.1 for the Canon EOS R5. 400mp stills are now possible

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Maybe.

It's interesting that I don't notice a vertical vs horizontal difference on the 45M file. If that made me guess further (hmmm), I'd say it might not be an issue with the R5 sensor, but maybe an issue with the pixel-shift firmware and hardware having an unavoidable difference that give extra perceived resolution to the vertical resolution vs the horizontal one.
How are the dual pixels oriented? I know they share the microlens, but the orientation could influence the pixel shift results.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Canon is slipping behind. After 3 years, time to release new top tier camera bodies.
Yes, new top tier bodies are desperately needed, the R5 is, after all, still the best overall camera in it's price range. Certainly nothing from Sony can match it in its price range, and Nikon's Z7 II is still lacking the high performance AF system. The new R6 mark II is arguably the best overall camera in it's price range as well. The R3, if you aren't obsessed with high MP count, is arguably the best sports camera out there. So, poor Canon ...so far behind when it comes to sensor performance, no wait, that's not it,..uh, maybe AF?...No, they are as good as anything out there in AF ...maybe IBIS?...no IBIS is better than anyone except Olympus...How about ergonom--no, that can't be it...color science? No...uh....uh...well....

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yes, new top tier bodies are desperately needed, the R5 is, after all, still the best overall camera in it's price range. Certainly nothing from Sony can match it in its price range, and Nikon's Z7 II is still lacking the high performance AF system. The new R6 mark II is arguably the best overall camera in it's price range as well. The R3, if you aren't obsessed with high MP count, is arguably the best sports camera out there. So, poor Canon ...so far behind when it comes to sensor performance, no wait, that's not it,..uh, maybe AF?...No, they are as good as anything out there in AF ...maybe IBIS?...no IBIS is better than anyone except Olympus...How about ergonom--no, that can't be it...color science? No...uh....uh...well....
All true, but feeding the troll is probably not worthwhile.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0