It’s time to fill those memory cards. Canon releases firmware v1.8.1 for the Canon EOS R5. 400mp stills are now possible

Jul 15, 2022
All that Hype for not a lot, JPEG and no movement compensation, I thought Canon being the last to implement this, would do it right.
At least save teh 9 frames in raw, so we could combien them with a more advanced software in post.

Where are all the rumored features, especially the pre-capture buffer ? are those still rumored ?

The only hope is that's a 1.8.1 and not a 2.0 version.

But still no new AF features from R3/R7/R6II, te face priority would have been nice

Reactions: 3 users
All that Hype for not a lot, JPEG and no movement compensation, I thought Canon being the last to implement this, would do it right.
At least save teh 9 frames in raw, so we could combien them with a more advanced software in post.

Where are all the rumored features, especially the pre-capture buffer ? are those still rumored ?

The only hope is that's a 1.8.1 and not a 2.0 version.

But still no new AF features from R3/R7/R6II, te face priority would have been nice
Disappointing.

From what I have read about other cameras that can do the high res image stitches it’s little more than a gimmick that doesn’t really add much in practice.

I was hoping for an AF upgrade too.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Just use a telephoto with tripod with good head, and stitch raw together in post to get a DNG file. The R5 can only do it in post anyway. So if they this is post processed, its the same as doing it manually without a zoom lense.
Lol. Sure, just take 9 shots and move your camera a distance of 1.46 µm between each of them. Let us know how that works out for you, unless you come to understand what pixel shift actually is before you try it.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Just use a telephoto with tripod with good head, and stitch raw together in post to get a DNG file. The R5 can only do it in post anyway. So if they this is post processed, its the same as doing it manually without a zoom lense.
Are you talking about a panoramic?
There is no way for a human to mimic pixel shift by hand.
The sensor is moving by the tiniest of increments.

Upvote 0
Disappointing.

From what I have read about other cameras that can do the high res image stitches it’s little more than a gimmick that doesn’t really add much in practice.

I was hoping for an AF upgrade too.
It varies a lot...

This has not made me want an R5 to replace my 5Ds [unless it falls off a building] ;-)
The best multishot implementation I've come across is the Panasonic S1R, where I tested it quite a lot [including with the TS-E 24 ii and TS-E50]
The movement compensation mode could handle outdoor shots - so a high res shot of a building with a flag on a pole handled the moving flag. Also very good with moving people, ripples on water and leaves [in a light breeze!].
I'll wait for more details, but this seems a rather poor implementation? I'd hoped Canon could really nail it...

Given the sorts of work I do - many of the other suggested improvements [AF related] were of no significance [YMMV of course]

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Are you talking about a panoramic?
There is no way for a human to mimic pixel shift by hand.
The sensor is moving by the tiniest of increments.
Actually, I do sort of get what was suggested - a 3x3 pano using a lens with a longer focal length giving 1/9 the intended FoV. Not saying it was a good suggestion.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
very, very dissapointing.

A few weeks I was hoping:

Hoping the incredible stupid and hindering 29.nn Minute time limit would be gone.. ( a legal and not a technical issue of course, that i would even pay for)
hoping canon comes up with some really helpful features, ideas and solve some unpredictabilities in the Eye Autofocus area..

Who in the world was asking for 400MP? ... for me a complete engineer driven feature, that does not get me anywhere AND on what price am i getting it when switched on? Less IBIS (less stabilisation or what) / more problems with moving objects..how fast are those 9 pictures a apart from ich other..
A big "BUSY"after some flickering screen and then wait for the buffer to save and combine a JPG i guess (almost 20 seconds for 'one' shot!!! this is a really great professional invention CAnon !! .. what a joke Canon !!
I am afraid not even of any use for architectural photography with moving objects/subjects are in the frame - of a tripod.. . .good luck for landscape or macro with wind or when Birds, or moving branches.. even the camera shake is a no go.. just tried it.. terrrible. .or maybe new type of Art!

hope is sometimes the grandmother of disappointment

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
\"Oh no, this totally optional and unnecessary feature/ update is failing to live up to my expectations\" screams everyone who had no expectations it would ever come via an update
\"This is absolutely useless to me, and JPG, blech, who even wants to play around with that mess\"
Screams the person who never had it before and can continue to never use it after

Nobody promised this feature, nobody expected it to hit the R5 and it wasn\'t really made to handle it in the first place. So much entitled crying

• Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I've been trying to make a focus that with this and I notice that about half my shots get a lot of artefacts, like halftone dots in classic printing.
Since all IS (both lens and in-body) will be disabled, I'm trying to remove as much vibrations as possible. The camera on a focus rail, on a sturdy table, using my phone as bluetooth remote after waiting a few seconds after advancing the rail.

More experimentation needed :)

Upvote 0