joe mcnally talks about the D4

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

briansquibb

smirkypants said:
wickidwombat said:
like i said the man is a genius with light
I bought three more speedlites after reading The Hot Shoe Diaries. Great Book.

I wonder sometimes how much Nikon paid him to jump ship ....

An aside: I read Joe McNally's book but bought "The Speedliters Handbook" by Syl Arena - which is all about Canon Speedlights. It was lots of example pictures of 'what happens when I change this'. Great for me as I am not interested in technical insights, just what parameters I need to set to achieve the shot I am after.

Upvote 0
he has a new book out called sketching light i just got my pre-order, I find his writing style amusing so reading his stuff isnt like an instruction manual, this sketching light has detailed lighting setup diagrams with settings distances and everything its pretty interesting.

And yeah wouldn't it be nice to have nikon throw all the latest gear at you for free? :D
but i think he's worked pretty hard at it his whole life to get where he is, Im glad he shares his knowledge though

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

wickidwombat said:
he has a new book out called sketching light i just got my pre-order, I find his writing style amusing so reading his stuff isnt like an instruction manual, this sketching light has detailed lighting setup diagrams with settings distances and everything its pretty interesting.

And yeah wouldn't it be nice to have nikon throw all the latest gear at you for free? :D
but i think he's worked pretty hard at it his whole life to get where he is, Im glad he shares his knowledge though

Top people usually get to where they are from 95% hard work and 5% talent. It is the talent that makes the difference as anyone can work hard. To get to the top you need both - and Joe McNally is a good example

Upvote 0
O

Orion

he may be a "genious" with light, but he is still using basic lighting technique to achieve great results. . . I don;t understadn why HIS images with multiple lighting setups or single strobe setups should warrant HIM being called a genious/master of light. Seems to me, that there are MANy such masters out there. . . . ANy of you here could be such a 'master.'

accenting and complimenting the available light is key . . all you need do is test your shots and settings and adjust.

After enough time, it becomes second nature because you REMEMBER the ambiance/lighting of your current location/setting, and your cmera has already become part of your limbs. . . you remember the light and the numbers and ratios, and you can then expereiment more and deviate from the norm. You don't need tohave multiple assistants, and tablets and people standing around holding papers pretending to be worth something to the final image, etc. . . .

Upvote 0
S

smirkypants

He is a genius because so many of his photos make you stop and say "man, I suck." I'm an extremely tough critic and will rip most photos to shreds, either in terms of composition or execution, if I'm asked to be completely honest. His are almost always flawless, at least to my taste, on both counts.

It's not just the quality of his light, but rather the way he sets up his scenes and the way he works with themes. There is correctly lit and then there is interestingly lit and he is very creative. He does all the little things that add just a little bit of pop.

His only serious shortcoming is his feeble-minded allegiance to Nikon.

Upvote 0
smirkypants said:
He is a genius because so many of his photos make you stop and say "man, I suck." I'm an extremely tough critic and will rip most photos to shreds, either in terms of composition or execution, if I'm asked to be completely honest. His are almost always flawless, at least to my taste, on both counts.

It's not just the quality of his light, but rather the way he sets up his scenes and the way he works with themes. There is correctly lit and then there is interestingly lit and he is very creative. He does all the little things that add just a little bit of pop.

His only serious shortcoming is his feeble-minded allegiance to Nikon.

If they gave me that much gear i would be their feeble minded biatch too! :-[ :p

Upvote 0
O

Orion

. . . . all this is funny becasue McNally, for one of his shoots, reflected a strobe off a side of a white truck that happened to be there.. . . mastering light means manipulating light, and it can be very advanced, and also very simple. No master . . . no genious . . all you do is work with light, and the `genious` lies in the final image image. . . that what all those buttons on the back of your strobes are for . .to manipulate light ;)

You are all masters of light if you take it seriously . . it`s just that many of us here do not have the funds to have a person holding our spare camera, etc (not a knock at McNally). . . but with my Paull C Buff Einsteins setup, I can now fund my imagination. That`s what it`s all about.

Upvote 0

Meh

Sep 20, 2011
@orion you're right, anyone can be a master of light... generally, light sources, direction, equipment, etc. is a technical issue and is mostly about gaining knowledge and experience. And anyone can be a master of camera gear... again, it's mostly a technical issue that can be learned. But I think most of us will agree that being a master of camera gear does not automatically translate into being a master of photography. In fact, being technically proficient, even a master, at anything does not equate to being in the upper echelon. It's true for athletes, musicians, artists, business. Sometimes, those in the upper echelon of performance are not even technical masters at all... they don't exactly know how they do it. Sometimes, the upper echelon are not even the best, there could be better photographers out there that never made it. In the arts, there is a certain amount of luck in getting your break. We can all look at a Joe McNally photo and think we could get the same shot and maybe that's true. But he did he get that shot, in the field, at that moment, under whatever conditions and limitations were present. He got the subject to emote just so. He got the timing just right. Sure, to get those shots he needed certain gear and assistants that most of us don't have but those things didn't get the shot, they only facilitated getting the shot. Maybe he even got ideas from those people. Maybe one of them made the suggestion that was the key to making the shot great. But it was still Joe McNally who is the photographer running the show. He is a genious. Not because he knows how to bounce light around or press the shutter... because he gets the shots that capture something that can't even really be described and explained. Or maybe he's not a genius, but just a guy who takes photographs that a lot of people like. Anyway, just my two cents.

Upvote 0
O

Orion

My freind, all he does is set up lights or even ONE SB900 and takes photos. He compliments the light in the room or manipulates the light outside to overpower the sun for a sandy beach shot to underexpose the sky and get it dramatic while using fill flash for the model. . . there is no genious or master of gear or anything else . . you simply set up your lights (or single light with softbox) and fire away multiple exposures until you are happy.

Give me a sky with some definition, a model, and 2 strobes etc . .and a wide lens and you won;t see a genious that reminds you of McNally or anyone else . . . you will simply see an image that has been shot over and over agin, and it happens to be good. ON sets, McNally takes multiple exposures of any given scene untill he is happy. That's not "genious" . . . that is being a photographer who knows how to manipulate his equipment. . . no equipment, means no master of light. Work with the light you have . . . or don't have.

Upvote 0

Meh

Sep 20, 2011
Orion said:
My freind, all he does is set up lights or even ONE SB900 and takes photos. He compliments the light in the room or manipulates the light outside to overpower the sun for a sandy beach shot to underexpose the sky and get it dramatic while using fill flash for the model. . . there is no genious or master of gear or anything else . . you simply set up your lights (or single light with softbox) and fire away multiple exposures until you are happy.

Give me a sky with some definition, a model, and 2 strobes etc . .and a wide lens and you won;t see a genious that reminds you of McNally or anyone else . . . you will simply see an image that has been shot over and over agin, and it happens to be good. ON sets, McNally takes multiple exposures of any given scene untill he is happy. That's not "genious" . . . that is being a photographer who knows how to manipulate his equipment. . . no equipment, means no master of light. Work with the light you have . . . or don't have.

I'm not getting your point. Do you just take issue with the use of the word "genius" or are you generally questioning Joe McNally's skill as a photographer?

Upvote 0
O

Orion

Meh said:
Orion said:

Give me a sky with some definition, a model, and 2 strobes etc . .and a wide lens and you won;t see a genius that reminds you of McNally or anyone else . . . you will simply see an image that has been shot over and over agin, and it happens to be good. ON sets, McNally takes multiple exposures of any given scene untill he is happy. That's not "genious" . . . that is being a photographer who knows how to manipulate his equipment. . . no equipment, means no master of light. Work with the light you have . . . or don't have.

I'm not getting your point. Do you just take issue with the use of the word "genius" or are you generally questioning Joe McNally's skill as a photographer?

Well why would I question the obvious :) He takes great photos!

heck no! I'm just saying the truth about light, and how anyone with a strobe or 2 can make the same images, even with little PS post, etc. That is all I am saying. ALso, I don't think peopel should use the term master , especailly "genius" so freely anymore since it is slowly becomming a generic term in this digital age paired with a hungry photogrpaher willing to manipulate light without fear. McNally's photos can be made by thousands of other photgraphers out there . . . maybe millions (?).

EDIT:

btw, I wonder if McNally will also give his opinion on the 1Dx. . . I don;t know if he is allowed or if he has done so in the past with other Canon pro bodies. If he is not allowed, it is one of the lamest things imaginable. I wuld love his unbiased opinion, after the production model is released.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.