joe mcnally talks about the D4

Status
Not open for further replies.
What impresses me most about him and his work is more of his understanding of light, how to manipulate it & how to quickly adjust on the fly. His books and workshops aren't a "how-to" cookbook on how to get a type of shot, they are more about the philosophy of capturing the light.

The interesting thing is that he uses ETTL (or whatever the Nikon version is), and allows the camera to do a LOT of the guess work. Never saw him or heard him talk much about a light meter. He then "nudges" the camera in the right direction. He makes a strong case for taking full advantage of the latest technology and gear. I see all too many people with huge egos and pride to ever dare admit they use any type of "auto" function on their fancy cameras. Why pay for that all when you shoot RAW on manual mode with manual focus?

He did a tour with David Hobby a few years back that was really great as they have different philosophies and approaches to lighting.

Upvote 0
Evaluating the work of Joe McNally

From what I've seen of his work, Joe McNally certainly is both a hard worker, has a good knowledge of technique and has a very fine talent. To succeed in this field, one must do and have ball three. I don't think anyone should discount his abilities and achievements, and I admire him and like his work very much. However, his achievements have been matched or exceeded by many dozens of his contemporaries, some of them very well known, others not. And, yes, there are many people who have matched the same hard work he has been willing to expend and have talent and knowledge equal to or greater than he, who have not become quite as well known because of simple circumstances or sometimes even "luck." Some of the reasons that so many more photographers, non-professionals and professionals alike, have "heard" of Joe are because so much of his work has allowed him name recognition, because he has tried very hard to stay in the public spotlight, and because he has written a lot of "how to" books and articles.

So, let's celebrate his achievements but not over-estimate them as singularly unique.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.