Jolly Ollie Advent Calendar, 2020

OK, this is the first time I ever looked this up. The population density in the small-to-mid size town I live in is 1,780 people per square mile. That's not counting the much larger county it's in which has less population.

Dolina, do you have a lot of hills or mountains in Manilla, or is it more flat-ish? I'm guess that there are lots of islands near you?

SteveC, are you in the mountainous west of the state, or the flat-ish east side? It's quite a beautiful state. I daresay your mountains are just a "tad" higher than ours! :ROFLMAO:
In my part of Manila it's hilly. No where as flat as in Southwest Florida. North east from me is where Sierra Madre . Directly south of me is an active volcano. Directly east of me is an extinct volcano. We have more than 7,000 islands

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
In my part of Manila it's hilly. No where as flat as in Southwest Florida. North east from me is where Sierra Madre . Directly south of me is an active volcano. Directly east of me is an extinct volcano. We have more than 7,000 islands

Yeah, your mountains go "kaboom" whereas the ones in Colorado don't.

On the other hand, we aren't that far away from Yellowstone...which really goes kaboom, when it wants to.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I'd like to post one photo of my new kitty, Ollie, with a (hopefully) funny caption for each day of this 2020 Advent season (Nov. 29 through Dec. 24) to make a "Jolly Ollie Advent Calendar". For those interested, I hope you like it and you are welcome to comment or post your own interesting photo and caption.

Around June we got Ollie from our friend Lori when he was 6 weeks old. At that time I was using my Olympus EM1_II and lenses to take the initial photos I'll post here. Later I got the Canon R5 and RF lenses which are used for most of the remaining days. All photos are handheld without flash. While I'm just an amateur photographer and no comedian, I'll do my best in hopes of making you laugh (or at least smile a little). ;) All comments/poems are mine, unless credited below.

Jolly Ollie Advent Calendar
Sunday, Nov. 29, 2020

"I like this new scratching post.
I've got my own room with a view !"

View attachment 194265

Olympus EM1_II with 12-100mm f4 lens.
100mm, f8, 1/180", ISO 1250
one of the best cat pictures I've ever seen !:love:

• Love
Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
(I thought my boxes were safe stacked high, up to the ceiling)

"OK, here's the deal:
YOU can have the camera,
but I get the boxes! "

View attachment 195334

Canon RF 70-200mm f2.8L lens.
115mm, f5, 1/200", ISO 6400
My caption would have been...

"She thought you got them ALL on sale!"

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Most every morning, we enjoy reading the morning newspaper.
Most every morning, Ollie gets "wrapped up" in it, too!

A01_6667_2_4k90%%.jpg
Canon R5 & RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L lens.
114mm, f4.5, 1/250", ISO 2500

A01_6680_1_4.5k90%%.jpg
Canon R5 & RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L lens.
186mm, f5, 1/250", ISO 3200

While the 70-200 f2.8 lens would have given a bigger background blur, the 100-500 lens was on the camera since I often try to take bird photos out our window. Since "A photo taken beats a photo missed! ", it's a great thing that this lens goes down to 100mm. ;)

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I'm sorry to have to send this out.

Ollie had a wonderful day outside, playing with Dora, and later going for a ride with us in our mini-RV Odessa. Susanne and I, with Ollie & Dora, enjoyed our evening meal on our front deck.

Shortly after that Ollie suddenly ran across the street and into an oncoming car. Within a few minutes he died in my arms.

He's laid to rest at the bottom of our yard, near where Ozzie was laid to rest a little over a year ago. Ollie was the most loving and wonderful cat possible, along with Ozzie. We got Ollie when he was just 8 weeks old, and raised him with all the love and attention a kitten could hope for. In many ways I was the "mother" figure to him. While his time was short it was also the happiest a kitten could hope for. We will never forget either of them.

John

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
My heart aches to hear this news. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Sorry John. You at least have many beautiful pictures to remember him by.
Thank you. From the moment we got him, through every day, he was a part of me in particular.
Susanne is still crying, and I'm in shock. Part of me is gone.

Upvote 0

10-8-244

Work, travel, take photographs, repeat
CR Pro
Dec 25, 2015
Nashville, TN
Thank you. From the moment we got him, through every day, he was a part of me in particular.
Susanne is still crying, and I'm in shock. Part of me is gone.
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss! I very much enjoyed your pictures. If 2020 wasn't bad enough we lost our baby Bonnie, a black and white cat I got on a call for service at a veterinarian clinic where someone had burglarized the business in 2006. She was so important to me. She suddenly became ill and died within two weeks. I buried her on our property and a part of me died that day as well.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss! I very much enjoyed your pictures. If 2020 wasn't bad enough we lost our baby Bonnie, a black and white cat I got on a call for service at a veterinarian clinic where someone had burglarized the business in 2006. She was so important to me. She suddenly became ill and died within two weeks. I buried her on our property and a part of me died that day as well.
Thank you. I'm sorry to hear of your loss, too. I know how it feels to have part of you gone. This is the 2nd time for such a tragic loss for us in a little over a year - first with Ozzie and now with Ollie. They were both the kind of loving cats that you rarely find, and are the hardest to lose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I'm sorry to have to send this out.

Ollie had a wonderful day outside, playing with Dora, and later going for a ride with us in our mini-RV Odessa. Susanne and I, with Ollie & Dora, enjoyed our evening meal on our front deck.

Shortly after that Ollie suddenly ran across the street and into an oncoming car. Within a few minutes he died in my arms.

He's laid to rest at the bottom of our yard, near where Ozzie was laid to rest a little over a year ago. Ollie was the most loving and wonderful cat possible, along with Ozzie. We got Ollie when he was just 8 weeks old, and raised him with all the love and attention a kitten could hope for. In many ways I was the "mother" figure to him. While his time was short it was also the happiest a kitten could hope for. We will never forget either of them.

John
So sorry to learn of your loss.

Upvote 0