June 2014 issue of Outside Magazine - Squirrel Watching Sunrise

There is another oft repeated message this photo conveys... memorable photos don't always need the absolute best equipment! Photographers skill, patience & planning, a little bit of contrarian creativity and a dose of luck lead to a fantastic photo. And, it doesn't hurt to take time to enjoy the view either.

This image, run good size in a major magazine, was shot with a two generation old crop body with a lens that all us pixel peepers on CR know is soft and about to become obsolete! Sometimes "good enough" is just plain great!

Upvote 0
Big deal. I could have taken this picture too if I had the foresight to go there at sunrise instead of sunset, and the determination to make it there in the dark, and the patience to stay there for long enough, and the insight to not scare away the squirrel, and the good eye needed to frame it right and balance the foreground and background elements, and the technical knowledge needed to get the exposure right and the marketing skills to promote it to a top magazine and the modesty to not brag about it ... in other words, if I were you I could have easily done it!
This is a great shot man, and congrats on the publication.

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
MichaelHodges said:
Everyone who worked in the park told me to visit Glacier Point at sunset, so the light would be on the granite domes. So I did the exact opposite and went at dark, pre-sunrise. I sat on the rocks quietly and waited for the sun to rise. As I did, the squirrel came closer and closer. Eventually, both the squirrel and I watched the sunset, about four feet apart form each other. I took some shots during that time, but wasn't happy with them. So I backed off the rocks and got behind the squirrel as it continued to watch sunrise.

One of the coolest moments I've ever had in nature, and I won't forget it. The key was avoiding people at all costs. I had the place to myself because it wasn't deemed "as good" at sunrise.
Maaaaaaan! :) :) :)

Michael, please forgive me my first thought :-[ , but it was "That must be photoshoped!”

But after reading your tale of the picture I got goosebumps really as high as the mountains on it. Because I could feel how you felt. And although I feel a bit jealous I am really delighted to know you had this very special moment and that you did share it with us.

Really, really warm congratulations, that you could experience this very special moment and that you got your picture published.

It’s awesome! Thank you. :)

Thanks for the nice words, Maximilian. :)

Upvote 0
EchoLocation said:
awesome shot, both me and my wife loved it! I really like Outside magazine, congrats on the publication! that is just fantastic!
how did you get it published by them? did you just submit it to the magazine? never really gave any actual thoughts to trying to get my shots published, but i'm very impressed!
Great work!

Thanks Echo!

:)

Upvote 0
old-pr-pix said:
There is another oft repeated message this photo conveys... memorable photos don't always need the absolute best equipment! Photographers skill, patience & planning, a little bit of contrarian creativity and a dose of luck lead to a fantastic photo. And, it doesn't hurt to take time to enjoy the view either.

This image, run good size in a major magazine, was shot with a two generation old crop body with a lens that all us pixel peepers on CR know is soft and about to become obsolete! Sometimes "good enough" is just plain great!

Thanks. :) I did take the photo in 2010, so at the time the 50D was sort of newish. I didn't start shopping the image until this year.

I really did like that camera, and never should've gotten rid of it. I actually preferred the output to my 7D. However, I wanted video. The 17-40L is just an awesome lens. Love it still, and don't plan to get rid of it.

Upvote 0