Just got my R5, currently charging

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Quick try with my EF 85mm 1.8 I got sharp (to me) at 1/15, I am not Mr steady hands by any means though.
Is that sharp when viewed at full size, or at 1:1 magnification? Also, if you have any third party lenses (preferably a modern one that actually reports itself as such, rather than as another Canon lens) to repeat this, it would also interest me.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
Wow!!! I think you are the first I've seen online. Congrats.

Now post some pics! :)

Hope this works.

Nothing really worthwhile taken, but the AF is impressive, particularly after the R. I was using my 100-400mm II, and it was working incredibly well, shutter is very quiet, battery life seemed fine to me, and power saving is great in that Id just push the shutter button as I was lifting it up and it was awake and good to go.

Cant wait to try it out on my 500 II. Bird lockon was amazing, was getting swallows.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
Is that sharp when viewed at full size, or at 1:1 magnification? Also, if you have any third party lenses (preferably a modern one that actually reports itself as such, rather than as another Canon lens) to repeat this, it would also interest me.

Sharp at full as in at 100% view. Tried a Tamron 24-70 2.8 VS and Sigma Art 50mm, both seemed ok, not sure how many stops I was getting. High speed seems less reliable for IBIS, was getting some sharp some not, low speed was more consistent.

Edit: IBIS option doesnt appear in menu for the VC, so only the lens IS was working, as per manual after checking (whether VC is on or off). No problems but no 'extra' apparently.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Edit: IBIS option doesnt appear in menu for the VC, so only the lens IS was working, as per manual after checking (whether VC is on or off). No problems but no 'extra' apparently.
I think it doesn't appear if the lens has its own IS switch, but IBIS only works for roll compensation if the lens is EF and has its own IS.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
How is viewfinder blackout under high shutter rate / "action" shooting?

Isnt any as such, and image review was off by default. I did notice stuttering when panning even in high FPS mode but the subject looked fine and it was only when shooting and panning. Lag seemed low too, but thats pretty subjective obviously, I was trying to track swallows with it against a complex background and it could often still track them, even when I was having trouble seeing them myself.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Isnt any as such, and image review was off by default. I did notice stuttering when panning even in high FPS mode but the subject looked fine and it was only when shooting and panning. Lag seemed low too, but thats pretty subjective obviously, I was trying to track swallows with it against a complex background and it could often still track them, even when I was having trouble seeing them myself.
Love to see the swallows. You could crop those and upload here.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0