Katmai National PArk Advice

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
ray5 said:
Hi,
I am looking for some advice on visiting this park.

- When is the best time of the year to view the bears?
- What is the way to get there?
- Are there photo expeditions/tours or can this be a family vacation?
- How many days is sufficient?
- Besides bear photography what else is there of interest?
Any help is appreciated.
Ray
Spring salmon run is the best time to be there. Then, the Bears are well fed and don't have much interest in the people. I would not take children. You share the park with the Bears, and they always have first claim. Fishing and photography are the main interest. When I was there with a group, float plane was the only practical way to get in. Campsites and cabins available on a first come basis. You can make reservations. Photography is great. See the brown bear photos from Katmai in the Bears gallery on my web site.
Http:/www.ronbrunsvold.com

Upvote 0
Bring mosquito repellent!

Most excursions to Katmai are day trips by float plane, though there are cabins and camping is allowed. Check National Park link Mt. Spokane posted for other places to see other than the Brooks Falls area (though Brooks Falls is really where you want to go.)

I went in July and there were plenty bears. If you take a float plane trip there, get the earliest one in the day you can as the viewing platform fills up and people are revolved in/out every half hour or so. I got there early and was able to stay for more than an hour at first.

Here's a pic at Brooks Falls:

Attachments

• Bear.jpg
    Bear.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 211
Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2014
BeenThere said:
ray5 said:
Hi,

Any help is appreciated.
Ray
Spring salmon run is the best time to be there. Then, the Bears are well fed and don't have much interest in the people. I would not take children. You share the park with the Bears, and they always have first claim. Fishing and photography are the main interest. When I was there with a group, float plane was the only practical way to get in. Campsites and cabins available on a first come basis. You can make reservations. Photography is great. See the brown bear photos from Katmai in the Bears gallery on my web site.

Great Pictures! What is the lens thats best suited?

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2014
triggermike said:
Bring mosquito repellent!

Most excursions to Katmai are day trips by float plane, though there are cabins and camping is allowed. Check National Park link Mt. Spokane posted for other places to see other than the Brooks Falls area (though Brooks Falls is really where you want to go.)

I went in July and there were plenty bears. If you take a float plane trip there, get the earliest one in the day you can as the viewing platform fills up and people are revolved in/out every half hour or so. I got there early and was able to stay for more than an hour at first.

Here's a pic at Brooks Falls:
Triggermike,
This was the image that amazed me so much that I started looking online. I may have sent you a PM or email but don't remember. What a shot! Truly awesome. What lens did you use? My longest currently is the 70-200 F2.8L II and a 2X III extender but am happy to rent as necessary. I am guessing there will be a load limit on these float planes? Where do these planes take off from? Thx
Ray

Upvote 0
This image was taken quite a few years ago with a Canon 10D and the 70-300 IS (non-L)!

At the falls you have several different opportunities:
1- Bears at the falls fishing. You are on a wood platform at the edge of the river quite close to the bears. Depending where they are on the falls, you'll be within 30 feet or so. The most dominant bears seem to grab two of the best spots which are fairly close to you. You'll want zoom capability for the varying distances - a 70-200 and a 100-400 or TC's with the 70-200 will work.
2- Bears fishing below the falls. This is where most of the bears are because the dominant bears force the rest off the falls. Plenty of shots to be taken of bears swimming and catching/eating salmon by hand. You'll need the longer zoom for these.
There is also opportunities to get bears fighting one another for positioning on the falls.

At the end of the river, close to the lake where your plan lands, there is an elevated platform/small tower (it is also a sanctuary for you if bears get too close.) From there you see more swimming/fishing bears as well as females with their cubs. You'll need your longer reach here as well.

Don't forget the mosquito repellent - I live in So. Florida and have been in the Keys and the Everglades and I believe the Alaskan mosquitos top them! They are only a problem when you're in the woods - not so when you're out in the open.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2014
triggermike said:
This image was taken quite a few years ago with a Canon 10D and the 70-300 IS (non-L)!

At the falls you have several different opportunities:
1- Bears at the falls fishing. You are on a wood platform at the edge of the river quite close to the bears. Depending where they are on the falls, you'll be within 30 feet or so. The most dominant bears seem to grab two of the best spots which are fairly close to you. You'll want zoom capability for the varying distances - a 70-200 and a 100-400 or TC's with the 70-200 will work.
2- Bears fishing below the falls. This is where most of the bears are because the dominant bears force the rest off the falls. Plenty of shots to be taken of bears swimming and catching/eating salmon by hand. You'll need the longer zoom for these.
There is also opportunities to get bears fighting one another for positioning on the falls.

At the end of the river, close to the lake where your plan lands, there is an elevated platform/small tower (it is also a sanctuary for you if bears get too close.) From there you see more swimming/fishing bears as well as females with their cubs. You'll need your longer reach here as well.

Don't forget the mosquito repellent - I live in So. Florida and have been in the Keys and the Everglades and I believe the Alaskan mosquitos top them! They are only a problem when you're in the woods - not so when you're out in the open.

Hope that helps.
It really helps, Thx.
From your description it seems that if I am able to come early morning then perhaps a full day is sufficient at that time of the year?

Upvote 0
ray5 said:
BeenThere said:
ray5 said:
Hi,

Any help is appreciated.
Ray

Great Pictures! What is the lens thats best suited?

I had a 300mm and a 600mm at the time (20 yrs ago). With 1.4 extender, that covered it pretty we'll. If I went back, probably would take the 100-400 II + 1.4x. Maybe a longer lens if I was up for lugging it around.

Upvote 0
AKChui said:
For those who have the thought of visiting during the late fall (like now), keep in mind that access is only by chartered float plane, and they won't land in freezing temperatures (freezing spray on the fuselage and floats). If you are camping, you could spend days waiting to be picked up...

I haven't looked into this in detail but what are the other ways to get there, anytime? I thought float planes were the only way.
Also, what other time outside the usual summer months would you recommend?

Upvote 0
Access only by floatplane, and in the off season there wouldn't be a chance of sharing the charter. My experience is back in the stone ages (before a ranger behind every bush and a 60 minute limit on the viewing platform), but I definitely preferred late Sept and early Oct. I speak from experience when I say the floatplane won't land in freezing temps! And be prepared for the plane to land early because of a freezing forecast.

Upvote 0
AKChui said:
Access only by floatplane, and in the off season there wouldn't be a chance of sharing the charter. My experience is back in the stone ages (before a ranger behind every bush and a 60 minute limit on the viewing platform), but I definitely preferred late Sept and early Oct. I speak from experience when I say the floatplane won't land in freezing temps! And be prepared for the plane to land early because of a freezing forecast.
Ok, Thanks

Upvote 0