Keith from Northlight reviews the TS-E 50mm Macro

canonnews

EOS R
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2017
Canada
www.canonnews.com
HTML:
<p>Keith the master of all things tilt and shift (and more!) released his review of the TS-E 50mm Macro today.</p>
<p><a href="http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/ts-e-50mm-f-2-8l-macro-review/">Please check out his review</a> for a multitude of sample photographs and information around the tilt and shift capabilities of what has seemed to turn out to be an exceptional trio of TS-E lenses from Canon.</p>
<p>His conclusions;</p>
<blockquote><p>As a basic 50mm lens the Canon TS-E50mm F2.8L Macro is an excellent sharp manual focus lens, with minimal distortions and a solid build quality warranting the ‘L’ name.</p>
<p>Then again you’re not buying a lens like this just to add to your 50mm lens collection – it’s all the ‘other stuff’ it does that makes you want a specialty lens like this (and the other TS-E lenses).</p></blockquote>
<p class="fs16 OpenSans-600-normal product-highlights-header"><a href="https://bhpho.to/2wv6j64">Product Highlights</a></p>
<ul class="top-section-list" data-selenium="highlightList">
<li class="top-section-list-item">EF-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/32</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Two Ultra-Low Dispersion Elements</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">One Aspherical Element</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Air Sphere and Subwavelength Coatings</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Maximum Tilt: +/- 8.5°</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Maximum Shift: +/- 12mm</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Minimum Focusing Distance: 10.6″</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Maximum Magnification: 0.5x</li>
</ul>
<blockquote><p> </p></blockquote>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

LDS

EOS 5D Mark IV
Sep 14, 2012
Thanks Keith, I was interested to know if such a lens would have been quite useful outdoor as well.

Anyway, looking at how narrow the focusing mechanism is, I think Canon should add a focusing knob as well...

keithcooper

EOS RP
CR Pro
LDS said:
Thanks Keith, I was interested to know if such a lens would have been quite useful outdoor as well.

Anyway, looking at how narrow the focusing mechanism is, I think Canon should add a focusing knob as well...

It is definitely useful - the focus throw was the only quibble I could find, and it's pretty insignificant once i got used to it.

If I had one I suspect outdoors with shift would be my main use...

YuengLinger

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Thank you, Keith. This is an excellent review, and perhaps the best comprehensive discussion of using a tilt-shift on a dSLR.