Keith from Northlight reviews the TS-E 50mm Macro

HTML:
<p>Keith the master of all things tilt and shift (and more!) released his review of the TS-E 50mm Macro today.</p>
<p><a href="http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/ts-e-50mm-f-2-8l-macro-review/">Please check out his review</a> for a multitude of sample photographs and information around the tilt and shift capabilities of what has seemed to turn out to be an exceptional trio of TS-E lenses from Canon.</p>
<p>His conclusions;</p>
<blockquote><p>As a basic 50mm lens the Canon TS-E50mm F2.8L Macro is an excellent sharp manual focus lens, with minimal distortions and a solid build quality warranting the ‘L’ name.</p>
<p>Then again you’re not buying a lens like this just to add to your 50mm lens collection – it’s all the ‘other stuff’ it does that makes you want a specialty lens like this (and the other TS-E lenses).</p></blockquote>
<p class="fs16 OpenSans-600-normal product-highlights-header"><a href="https://bhpho.to/2wv6j64">Product Highlights</a></p>
<ul class="top-section-list" data-selenium="highlightList">
<li class="top-section-list-item">EF-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/32</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Two Ultra-Low Dispersion Elements</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">One Aspherical Element</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Air Sphere and Subwavelength Coatings</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Maximum Tilt: +/- 8.5°</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Maximum Shift: +/- 12mm</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Minimum Focusing Distance: 10.6″</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Maximum Magnification: 0.5x</li>
</ul>
<blockquote><p> </p></blockquote>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

LDS said:
Thanks Keith, I was interested to know if such a lens would have been quite useful outdoor as well.

Anyway, looking at how narrow the focusing mechanism is, I think Canon should add a focusing knob as well...

It is definitely useful - the focus throw was the only quibble I could find, and it's pretty insignificant once i got used to it.

If I had one I suspect outdoors with shift would be my main use...

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
Thank you, Keith. This is an excellent review, and perhaps the best comprehensive discussion of using a tilt-shift on a dSLR.
Thanks, I do prefer doing reviews of more unusual lenses - I don't have the patience to do all the usual methodical test chart stuff ;-)

Upvote 0