Kickstarter: KOBRA Flash Modifier System

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS-1D X Mark III
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
8,911
1,668
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
The KOBRA was made to give photographers an effective flash modifier solution that is lightweight, flexible and with an attractive design.</p>
<p>As a professional photographer, I have used all the “on camera flash” modifiers that are available and have been unsatisfied with the results. I decided to stop complaining and make my own.</p>
<p>The “KOBRA Flash Modifier” is molded from a high-grade, flexible, light diffusing clear silicone that is not affected by high or low temperatures. This allows the “KOBRA Flash Modifier” to bounce back to its originally molded shape after folded from storing in your camera bag. The “KOBRA Flash Modifier” gets its backbone from the patent pending built-in reflector. The reflector bounces the light forward through the clear silicone, acting as a second layer of diffusion, giving the photographer the ability to “paint with the light, not spray.”</p>

<p>The “KOBRA Flash Modifier” utilizes a molded, patent pending, state-of-the-art attachment system to secure itself to the “KOBRA Band.”</p>
<p>The “KOBRA Band,” is molded from a high-grade, flexible, black silicone that is not affected by high or low temperatures. The “KOBRA Band” fits most flash heads. It’s simple and self-contained with no need for hook and loop or magnet attachments.</p>
<p>The “KOBRA Band” not only holds the “KOBRA Flash Modifier” but also multitasks by securing our “KOBRA Color Gel System.”</p>
<p><strong><a href="https://5c019a.kckb.st">Visit Kickstarter to learn more</a></strong></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
 

Old Sarge

EOS RP
CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
235
1
I like my Rogue Flashbender but it isn't the perfect solution and not always the most convenient. This one is interesting and I might try it if it comes out in February. I won't do the Kickstarter thing since at my age I don't even buy green bananas.
 

pwp

EOS R6
Oct 25, 2010
2,530
23
Another flash mod? I'm always keen to look. If I did buy I'd be taking a large black Sharpie to the ugly oversized logo.

I'd feel like an idiot toting that big K around at a client event. Shrink it or lose it guys...You'll sell more.

-pw
 

LDS

EOS 5D Mark IV
Sep 14, 2012
1,712
247
I like the comparison bouncing the flash against a black ceiling, and with black flags/panels at each side (http://www.veroimage.com/comparison/KOBRA-P6-0036-2HR.jpg). Most other reflectors in the comparison are not designed to work that way.

It's quite obvious you need something with enough directionality in such a situation, because sending light in other direction will be just a waste. Still, true softboxes like the EzyBox aren't included (they may be more bulky, sure) - and IMHO the best image is from the Foto4Easy foldable (breast and neck better exposed, probably because of its larger size), although all the photos have a bad chin shadow.
 
P

Pookie

Guest
No matter what you do to a single speedlight it's always going to look like a single speedlight. The DMV effect...
 

Jopa

EOS R
Dec 11, 2015
1,054
0
Pookie said:
No matter what you do to a single speedlight it's always going to look like a single speedlight. The DMV effect...

LOL, indeed! I tried quite a few on-camera flash modifiers and gave up. Ultimately they are not much better than a few bucks worth Sto-Fen or a free diffuser than comes with the Sony F60M. They are still tiny, and the flash is still on camera. The only thing that more or less worked for me is a 2' profoto beauty dish, but that's not something to carry every day.
 

privatebydesign

EOS-1D X Mark III
CR Pro
Jan 29, 2011
9,695
4,255
I find bouncing on camera flash very effective. Here is a great link to expand pretty much anybodies use of on camera flash https://neilvn.com/tangents/about/black-foamie-thing/

Both these images were illuminated entirely with one on camera flash, there is no ambient light at all. i'd challenge anybody to guess they were single on camera flash illuminated pictures.

As for 'add ons' they don't work very well and bounce whenever possible will give much nicer results.
 

Attachments

  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 707
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 727

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
^

+1 to this; I frequently use on camera flash. Here's one with no ambient light, the great British comedian Tommy Cannon of Cannon and Ball fame, plus fan.

Good to see you're still around after Irma Private !
 

Attachments

  • _MG_0097-750.jpg
    _MG_0097-750.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 128

Jopa

EOS R
Dec 11, 2015
1,054
0
privatebydesign said:
I find bouncing on camera flash very effective. Here is a great link to expand pretty much anybodies use of on camera flash https://neilvn.com/tangents/about/black-foamie-thing/

Both these images were illuminated entirely with one on camera flash, there is no ambient light at all. i'd challenge anybody to guess they were single on camera flash illuminated pictures.

As for 'add ons' they don't work very well and bounce whenever possible will give much nicer results.

Very educational, thanks for the link!
 

AJB

May 5, 2015
8
5
LDS said:
I like the comparison bouncing the flash against a black ceiling, and with black flags/panels at each side (http://www.veroimage.com/comparison/KOBRA-P6-0036-2HR.jpg). Most other reflectors in the comparison are not designed to work that way.

It's quite obvious you need something with enough directionality in such a situation, because sending light in other direction will be just a waste. Still, true softboxes like the EzyBox aren't included (they may be more bulky, sure) - and IMHO the best image is from the Foto4Easy foldable (breast and neck better exposed, probably because of its larger size), although all the photos have a bad chin shadow.
It's interesting that they say they've used +1 FEC, and to me the direct flash shot looks a little over-exposed. Although theirs has slightly softer shadows, the biggest difference compared to no modifier is the exposure (and the fact she's smiling as someone said!) I wonder if that flash with that aperture and ISO happens to be maxed out with their modifier at just the right exposure (i.e. not achieving the full +1 they asked for). The modifiers not designed for direct light are underexposed.
 

ExodistPhotography

Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
Feb 20, 2016
225
3
42
Phillippines
www.youtube.com
Oh god I hate Gary Fong, he is such a jerk. Sorry off topic, just had to point that out..

That said, save your money. When it comes to softness, size and distance matters. The only reason some of the photos appear softer is that the kobra is sending light out in every direction and some of it is bouncing back in as fill light making the shadows softer. If you was to take the shot in a large room with nothing around the shadows would still appear harsh. So if you want my advice, just get one of the $4 diffusion caps off amazon or point it up at the ceiling when possible.
 

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
2,376
1,246
Jopa,

knowing your shooting style and that you are an avid portrait shooter... take a good look at the image taken with that Black Foamie thingyO :) and answer these four question please:

1. if they flagged the on-camera flash so that no direct light falls on the subject, how do you get 2 (two) catchlights in the subject eyes as it should not really be 2 off them if any at all knowing it reflects of the ceiling. it should not be any in my experience reflecting of the ceiling.
2. how do you get 2 catchlights positioned diagonally?
3. if the light reflects of the ceiling, do you detect any under chin shadows or raccoon eyes?
4. do you notice a highlight on the subject's right shoulder ( left side of the image) and rim light above the right shoulder and hairlight on the same side?

well, there are either 2 light sources or single light source and 2 reflectors involved left and right of the subject.

#1 - to the left and slightly above subject's head and #2 to the right and slightly below.


NVN_7700.jpg


Jopa said:
privatebydesign said:
I find bouncing on camera flash very effective. Here is a great link to expand pretty much anybodies use of on camera flash https://neilvn.com/tangents/about/black-foamie-thing/

Both these images were illuminated entirely with one on camera flash, there is no ambient light at all. i'd challenge anybody to guess they were single on camera flash illuminated pictures.

As for 'add ons' they don't work very well and bounce whenever possible will give much nicer results.

Very educational, thanks for the link!
 

privatebydesign

EOS-1D X Mark III
CR Pro
Jan 29, 2011
9,695
4,255
Here is the article, and pull back shot, of that portrait.
https://neilvn.com/tangents/bounce-flash-portrait-consistent-technique/
It looks like there is a table to camera right that caused the second, lower, catchlight.

As for the main catchlight, lack of raccoon eyes etc, that is what you get when you use bounce skillfully.
https://neilvn.com/tangents/bounce-flash-catchlights/

Both my examples have good catchlights and no raccoon eyes, I posted them because they are good examples of on camera flash yet short lighting, something entirely counter intuitive.

Bounce, used effectively, is not a simple 'point it at the ceiling' it is playing pool or snooker, work out the angle to put your reflective surface where you would put a softbox, then you get beautiful interesting catchlights.
 
<-- start Taboola -->