Kickstarter: This Revolutionary Camera Battery will Lighten Your Bag and Change the Way You Shoot

I'm looking for similar products at this time, could you name a couple?
For what specific area?

Grips are the obvious one of course.

There's an entire market of tethered power solutions.

Its just a replacement battery, just one that doesn't fit. And they haven't verified their claims.

Personally, I trust OEM batteries because they won't fail. But i'll track you down some options really quick. Lets use.... The 5d mark iv as an example.

Upvote 0
So, I wanna use a powerbank to power my camera. They make one that plugs into two USB ports....and then fits into the 5d mark iv and you don't have to remove the door. Now, personally i only use OEM batteries. But this is out there. If you want a reliable power solution, remember that it has to be a good power bank....not a cheapo one.

Grips, they make a dime a dozen.

Fast charging batteries? They are all fast charging batteries.

But would I use a faster charger? No, because that reduces battery life. That's why some Tesla's that use the speed charger too much lose a ton of range.

There are usb charger's aplenty on amazon...you can use one of those and a power brick for a mobile charging solution. That's pretty much all they do for their charging on the go.

Everything about this is just to make a quick buck. They also violate a few trademarks, which i've reported to kickstarter. This just seems like a scam.

Upvote 0
If this turns out to be a scam, can people who "donated" sue Canon Rumors for their promotion of it?
nope. Of course not. Also fstoppers jumped on board. To me, gullible people are born every day and they believe everything they are told without any supporting evidence. Like this kickstarter.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
While I do think that one should be careful at kickstarter, I find a LOT of critics to be realy to cynical

Seriously, is there nobody here picking out the inconsistencies on this one.

Nevermind that X-tra out of Los Angeles is an art journal.
So what?

The CEO and CTO are unknowns.
Of course, they wouldnt be on kickstarter otherwise.

They have no experience with batteries.
Of course, they wouldnt be on kickstarter otherwise. Also they probably just sourced a battery and didnt invent a new one. To market a nicely rehoused powerbank, doesnt mean you have to be able to build a battery.

They only want 10k, would you trust your camera with ANYTHING produced that cheaply.
It sounds like not that much, but its likely that they put in some money of their own. Also: its not easy to realy say how expensive things like this should be. They probably took an existing battery and only 3d-modelled the new casing, which can bea produced easily and cheaply in china. This could be made pretty cheap. Its not a very complex thing. Powerbanks are only 5 USD or something. Battery dummys for lp-e6 are only 5 USD or something. Its not rocket science, So i think it can be achieved at reasonable prices. Its not necessary to produce a complex cpu inside. Though I find roughly 100 USD not unrealistic for a product like this.

They provide really nothing new that isn't out there by...reputable companies.
Please show me something like this, I will buy it in an instant. I have battery dummies, I used battery grips - but nothing that combines this so clever. Also the feature to power other tools on the camera with usb c - this is quite nice!

Their press kit is a google drive, they have no website.
This indeed doenst sound good. Though I am not familiar - whats the usual amount and quality of press material that kickstarters have?

Other companies look very similar, like X-tra being a part of their name....that's not these dudes.
For exmaple? Which one exactly?
What exactly do you mean? It doesnt look like they are duplicating another brand or something, do they?

This looks like a larger scam than the Y35 by Yashica and everyone's eating it up...again...because they didn't look into it more..
While I cant tell with any kind of certainty that this is or is not a scam - I find all this not realy substantial.

Upvote 0
WOW!
The fact that I could power other devices on the camera is also realy great!

Count me in if this actualy arrives!

Ummm, a cheap 10 dollar power brick can do all of that.

Nevermind what it would do to your battery life, or the fact that since its splitting power that you may find that your camera just dies randomly.

Neither the CEO or CTO are any kind of engineer, photographer, or videographer that I can find.

Other people with the same name are, but not the people pictured ;) You know, the hallmark of a good scam. It can survive cursory google searches, just not beyond that. Go ahead, go google, find out.

Upvote 0
While I do think that one should be careful at kickstarter, I find a LOT of critics to be realy to cynical

So what?

Of course, they wouldnt be on kickstarter otherwise.

Of course, they wouldnt be on kickstarter otherwise. Also they probably just sourced a battery and didnt invent a new one. To market a nicely rehoused powerbank, doesnt mean you have to be able to build a battery.

It sounds like not that much, but its likely that they put in some money of their own. Also: its not easy to realy say how expensive things like this should be. They probably took an existing battery and only 3d-modelled the new casing, which can bea produced easily and cheaply in china. This could be made pretty cheap. Its not a very complex thing. Powerbanks are only 5 USD or something. Battery dummys for lp-e6 are only 5 USD or something. Its not rocket science, So i think it can be achieved at reasonable prices. Its not necessary to produce a complex cpu inside. Though I find roughly 100 USD not unrealistic for a product like this.

Please show me something like this, I will buy it in an instant. I have battery dummies, I used battery grips - but nothing that combines this so clever. Also the feature to power other tools on the camera with usb c - this is quite nice!

This indeed doenst sound good. Though I am not familiar - whats the usual amount and quality of press material that kickstarters have?

For exmaple? Which one exactly?
What exactly do you mean? It doesnt look like they are duplicating another brand or something, do they?

While I cant tell with any kind of certainty that this is or is not a scam - I find all this not realy substantial.

1. Claimed isn't delivered. The Y35 claimed a lot and didn't deliver. I have no problem with kickstarter, I just have a problem when I can't find any evidence at all of this being real. Previous kickstarters, I could find something. Fairly easily in fact.

There are a few x-tra bettery trademarks, but the one they should be most concerned with is the ups battery companies. They might not like it.

They are the ones claiming new technology and a secret recipe. While rehousing is fine and dandy, they aren't saying that. They flat out state that they created the battery 6 months ago.

Upvote 0
They're only looking for $10k? Huge red flag. If their financial gap to produce this thing is $10,000, what does that say about their confidence in pulling it off?

I mean, let's think about what $10K would buy. One or two promotional videos delivered? How many hours of engineering labour? That would only buy 125 LP-E6NH batteries before taxes - they're going to revolutionize camera batteries for less than the price of 125 current batteries?

I've never had a lot of luck with third party batteries as it is, so I have a hard time expecting this to be the product to get it right.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Ummm, a cheap 10 dollar power brick can do all of that.
But than I would have to add this to the rig, which is realy not a smart/small/light solution.

Nevermind what it would do to your battery life, or the fact that since its splitting power that you may find that your camera just dies randomly.
This could be a problem though, you are right.
Neither the CEO or CTO are any kind of engineer, photographer, or videographer that I can find.
Other people with the same name are, but not the people pictured ;) You know, the hallmark of a good scam. It can survive cursory google searches, just not beyond that. Go ahead, go google, find out.
[/QUOTE]
I dont think that you need to be a known photographer or engineer to re-case a battery like this. Just the will to do so and some technical/brain skills.

But anyway, I am not that familiar with kickstarter. You can be very well right and this may very well be a scam and I wont support it beforehand.

The concept looks very reasonable and interesting for me though. Especialy since I am not that happy with the battery life of my R5. I also use external power with battery dummys quite often. Would be nice to just plug in a usb c cable instead of switching to a dummy.

Upvote 0
I remember a company on kickstarter that had a lot more verifiable information out there, you could track down the company info, employee info, etc.

And they still took everyone's money.

I've also seen projects work out great, but once again you can find information on them outside of kickstarter and google drive.

specifically the Arsenal is popular, and its information is easy to track down. It isn't some random dude that doesn't seem to exist outside of kickstarter.

Upvote 0
Yeah, but it would work. If you want small, light, and awesome its not going to come from some dude's garage. It's going to come from the R&D of a major company with something called resources, patents, technology, etc.

I know its easy to get on the train of wishful thinking. But I have a lightweight power brick the size of my hand, and half an inch thick that can literally jump my car. Pop that in a pocket, and you'll be fine.

Upvote 0
But than I would have to add this to the rig, which is realy not a smart/small/light solution.

I dont think that you need to be a known photographer or engineer to re-case a battery like this. Just the will to do so and some technical/brain skills.

But anyway, I am not that familiar with kickstarter. You can be very well right and this may very well be a scam and I wont support it beforehand.

The concept looks very reasonable and interesting for me though. Especialy since I am not that happy with the battery life of my R5. I also use external power with battery dummys quite often. Would be nice to just plug in a usb c cable instead of switching to a dummy.
[/QUOTE]

My solution for my R5 is quite easy. The Canon battery is small, lightweight, and I have 3 of them.

I mean, do you want to risk your R5 with something like this? Heck, buy a used 6D and use that as the suicide camera if you must.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
For what specific area?

Grips are the obvious one of course.

There's an entire market of tethered power solutions.

Tethered power. I'm thinking of time lapses that might be too long for two batteries in a grip.

Personally, I trust OEM batteries because they won't fail. But i'll track you down some options really quick. Lets use.... The 5d mark iv as an example.

My camera uses an LP-E6, so I'm all for it.

Upvote 0

[/QUOTE]

Kickstarter rules: you are not allowed to offer Projects that share things that already exist, or repackage a previously-created product, without adding anything new or aiming to iterate on the idea in any way.

Also, you have to tell people you did so. But its ok, they would rather claim that the created the battery out of thin air.

Upvote 0
Tethered power. I'm thinking of time lapses that might be too long for two batteries in a grip.

My camera uses an LP-E6, so I'm all for it.
So, you can tether your camera to a laptop. Or a power bank. Or any two usb ports that put out enough juice. (you won't want to use 1 amp cheapo deals).

On amazon, you can find usb power deals...ones you plug into the wall. ETC. That's nothing new.

For time lapse, it'll work fine.

Canon makes a solution as well.

Canon DC Coupler DR-E6

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
The first few times using the R6 I wasn’t so impressed with battery life however after a few charges it’s better now. My last shoot was 1200 shots plus some short video clips and still the battery was good for more.

This new product might be ok for charging on the go but a couple of spare batteries in my bag is more than enough for my needs.

Upvote 0