Laowa 15mm shift - a challenge to my TS-E17?

I've had a Laowa 15mm f4.5 Zero-D shift lens to try for some time and have written up some notes, including a quick comparison with the Canon 17mm

Although 'shift only' it's a good challenger to the 17mm, especially given the difference in price

I've also a video that looks at the lens (and ways to use it)

... and I'm definitely looking forward to an an RF t/s lens at 14mm (and the howls of 'no-one needs this')

Reactions: 1 user

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Thanks for this review, not based on useless full aperture MTFs, but on practical real-world use. Yet, I think I'll be waiting for the Canon RF TSE 14mm, corner sharpness will certainly be far superior.
The $$$$ too, sadly. The RF world is an expensive one...
Nevertheless, it was very interesting to see what Laowa could achieve in terms of quality and cost.
By the way, before buying the RF 14mm TSE, I'll wait for YOUR review...;)
PS: You should have actively mentioned your T&S book, I just preordered it...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
As always an interesting review!
One question: did you use the lens support to do the stitching?
demo-1200x456.jpg

Upvote 0
As always an interesting review!
One question: did you use the lens support to do the stitching?
Thanks - the mount wasn't available, so they are stitched with lens movement.

I do use the Rogeti TSE Frame for shots with my 17/24 when I know there are crossing near/far elements. The most common use would be stair wells where railings can often show stitching errors.

In all my testing of the 15mm, the only shot where I was able to see stitching errors was the staircase in the VJP foyer.

For normal shots of buildings and the like it's rarely an issue, especially with up/down stitches

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0