Laowa FFII 10mm F2.8 coming soon

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It seems like Laowa will be releasing their first full-frame autofocus lens (but not autofocus for us) and it’s a 10mm F2.8 and still a fairly compact lens. They claim near zero distortion and the MTF’s look good enough that it may even be half decent with coma. If so, this would almost immediately be

See full article...

What is frog-eye coating, please? (with innocent sounding voice...)
Sorry, but somebody would have asked anyway. :devilish:

The answer may be disturbing. be careful what you ask for ;)

Hello. What would benthe difference berween the 5 and 14 blade lenses?
I own a canon R5 camera and indo astro and landscape, so not sure which one is better for me?
astro-landcape it wouldn't matter much since you are wide open most times. I was thinking maybe sun stars? but I'm not sure why someone would choose 5 blades (10 spikes) over 14 blades and 14 spikes. I can't think of a lens that had different number of blades as a option to be honest.

I could be missing something, I'm tired tonight.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
What is frog-eye coating, please? (with innocent sounding voice...)
Sorry, but somebody would have asked anyway. :devilish:

The purpose of the Frog Eye coating is to repel dust and moisture from the front element of the lens, making it easier to work in difficult environmental conditions.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The purpose of the Frog Eye coating is to repel dust and moisture from the front element of the lens, making it easier to work in difficult environmental conditions.

you are no fun!

;)

thanks for the info though .. still a weird name for it. just a flourine like coating it seems, but the demo is pretty cool.

(no frogs were harmed in the making of these lenses... apparently)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
thanks for the info though .. still a weird name for it. just a flourine like coating it seems, but the demo is pretty cool.
The term 'fluorine coating' is incorrect, since fluorine is actually a gas (and a very toxic one, at that). It's actually a fluorocarbon coating, same chemical class as Teflon.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It could be about avoiding anything with "carbon" at the marketing stage because of environmental issues?
Fluorocarbons also include banned ozone-depleting chemicals. It’s a broad chemical class, including refrigerants, solvents, some pharmaceuticals, etc. Makes sense to have a simpler name, and the coating does contain the element fluorine (as do calcium fluorite lens elements).

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

Of course, like what all lens companies are using under different names. Also known as "lotus effect".
you are no fun!

;)

(no frogs were harmed in the making of these lenses... apparently)
Apparently? o_O Poor little frogs!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'll be very interested to read some detailed reviews - similar to neuroanatomist, I have a Samyang EF 14mm f/2.8 (they rebrand as Rokinon) which could do with updating at some point at the right price point and quality. For UW lenses, lack of AF generally isn't a killer.
same! I'll be keeping an eye out (not a frog eye) for reviews as they pop up, because yeah this may replace the samyang as THE cheap astro landscape lens.

mind you it's over twice the price, but it is 10mm versus 14mm.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
mind you it's over twice the price, but it is 10mm versus 14mm.
An optically good 10mm (and yes, still to be proven!) at a 'reasonable' price would be very tempting though.

I should say my personal experience with Laowa so far (the 100mm f/2.8 2X Macro) has been very positive, in terms of optics and also build quality.

The Samyang remains an excellent lens at its price point.

Upvote 0