Lee Filters Announces EF 11-24mm f/4L Support

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
privatebydesign said:
I use PL's on UWA's, but it is almost exclusively for controlling reflections and I only use part of the exposure. I take multiple exposures with and without the filters and just mask and layer in the 'best' bits from each exposure.

Myself as well. If water or glass is in play, the CPL is used regardless of my focal length. I'll use it on a 16mm FF shot without hesitation.

If I'm using it tame the sky, however, I generally don't use it under 35mm FF or so. There are times that 'CPL-pseudo-vignetting' can be framed around other non-sky elements (mountain top, skyscraper, etc.) and you can get away with using the CPL on wider FLs, but in general you need to be careful.

- A

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
privatebydesign said:
I use PL's on UWA's, but it is almost exclusively for controlling reflections and I only use part of the exposure. I take multiple exposures with and without the filters and just mask and layer in the 'best' bits from each exposure.

Yes, that bit is key becuase the uneven polarization is a function of the angle of view, not the sky per se. You can see in this recent thread started by someone having 'an issue' with a new polarizer, how both the polarization of the sky and the control of reflections from the water surface are affected.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
privatebydesign said:

Yes, that bit is key becuase the uneven polarization is a function of the angle of view, not the sky per se. You can see in this recent thread started by someone having 'an issue' with a new polarizer, how both the polarization of the sky and the control of reflections from the water surface are affected.

Good link, Neuro, thanks. Yeah, I've had better luck fighting around UWA + CPL problems with reflections as I (generally) don't compose a full-frame-width foreground of water -- I have a central stream to focus the 'reflection management' on, or rocks in the foreground that limit the span of water I need to tame.

But the sky can't always be framed out without major aspect ratio changes or switching to longer glass and shooting panos. So I guess I'm a little more bullish about UWA CPL for reflections while skittish for UWA CPL for sky.

But everyone's compositions are different. The sample you shared at the link is a great case of losing the CPL altogether and embracing the reflection, which also manages the sky darkening problem.

#photographyrules #itdepends

- A

Upvote 0
Hey Guys,

thanks for all your comments and ideas !

I went with the Lee 150 system, the Wonderpana adaptor for my TS-E 17, the Lee screw in lens adaptor for the TS-24 and some simple adaptor rings to fit the filter holder on all lenses longer than the 24 TS-E.
The 150 System proves to be rather versatile and everything fits together nicely. A well thought through system.

Cheers Timo

Upvote 0

privatebydesign

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 29, 2011
timo said:
Hey Guys,

thanks for all your comments and ideas !

I went with the Lee 150 system, the Wonderpana adaptor for my TS-E 17, the Lee screw in lens adaptor for the TS-24 and some simple adaptor rings to fit the filter holder on all lenses longer than the 24 TS-E.
The 150 System proves to be rather versatile and everything fits together nicely. A well thought through system.

Cheers Timo

It's interesting the way we prioritize things differently. I saw no point in owning an 11-24 lens to be limited in its use with filters so never considered anything that caused vignetting or cropping.

Upvote 0