Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; margin: 70px 0 0 0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=7600"></g:plusone></div><div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin: 0 -50px 0 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=7600" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=7600"></a></div>
<strong>Lenses coming soon?

</strong>Received some information today that pointed to possible lens announcements in January, possibly on the 3rd.</p>
<p>This is plausible, because CES/PMA starts on January 10, 2012. This would also go in line with the staggered lens/body announcements we’ve seen in the past with pro bodies. The 1D Mark IV was announced in October, and the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II came at the beginning of the following January.</p>
<p>Lenses mentioned were the EF 200-400 f/4L IS 1.4x, 24-70 f/2.8L II and 35 f/1.4L II.</p>
<p>A few other pieces of information have said Canon will be updating a lot of current lenses in the next 24 months, I’d rank this as pretty tentative for the moment. Lenses are always difficult to predict and I’m not sure we really know the whole story about Canon’s production abilities in Japan.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

I

ianhar

EYEONE said:
The 35mm f1.4L does need an update. There are a ton of lenses I'd rather see updated but the 35mm has some terrible color fringing (at least my rented copy did).

I'd love to get a hold of the 200-400mm (as if I could ever afford it anyway).

Is the color fringe that obvious because mine is quite clean or maybe i need to crop in and see further.

Upvote 0
It figures, I JUST BOUGHT A 24-70 f/2.8L TWO WEEKS AGO!!! :mad:

At least I didn't make the same mistake with a camera, I'm renting* my brothers until the EOS 1D X hits the street. I Had been up in the air about a 1DMk4, or 5DMk2, and absolutely couldn't justify the 5DMk2 because of it's subpar auto-focus. I didn't want to blow the money on the 1DMk4 because I wanted a full frame sensor, and with the rumor mills churning that a 5DMk3 was imminent, I wanted to see how it measured up to the 1DMk4 before I decided between the two.

The 1D X took me by surprise, I really thought we'd see a 5DMk3 first. Now I don't have to choose, the 1DX will be my next Camera... unless its ISO and autofocus are actually worse than the 5DMk2. I'll probably pick up the 5DMk3 as a backup when it becomes available.

*(Otherwise I'd be shooting film with my T90, 25 years and going strong 8) )

Upvote 0
J

J. McCabe

Wrathwilde said:
It figures, I JUST BOUGHT A 24-70 f/2.8L TWO WEEKS AGO!!! :mad:

This is a rumor, which might not come true. The 24-70mm f/2.8L upgrade is rumored for a very long time.

If it's true, the lens would take three months to be announced, and probably 3+ months for sales to start, so you would have to wait 6+ months to buy one.

Then you use the lens until the mk2's price drops a little, and then sell the lens to finance the new len. You'll lose some money, but would the loss be greater than the price of, say, renting the lens during that period ?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
EYEONE said:
The 35mm f1.4L does need an update. There are a ton of lenses I'd rather see updated but the 35mm has some terrible color fringing (at least my rented copy did).

I've never had an issue with CA or other types of 'fringing' on my 35L. The only issues that I see with the 35L are a bit of corner softness and the lack of weather sealing. I do hope it gets a MkII update, especially for the weather sealing. I think it's due - as I've pointed out before, every L-series prime of 100mm or less, except the 35L, has been either updated or newly released in the last 5 years.

Upvote 0
P

photophreek

I remember a rumor posted here about a 14-24mm to compete with Nikon as well as a 17-55mm replacement similar to the 15-85mm that replaced the 17-85mm. Keep in mind that there are far more Rebel users than pros/prosumer cameras. An updated 17-55mm would sell very well.

I'm certainly not discounting the 24-70mm replacement, but for me personally to purchase the ver II of this lens, it would have to be reasonably priced and significantly better than ver I as I am very pleased with my 24-70mm and what comes out of it. I wouldn't pay upwards of $500 extra for just IS and lighter.

As far as the 35L is concerned, I am very happy with mine and have decided that I would get the 24L II instead and wait on the 35L II until I see reviews and tests.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.