Lenses/camera for Rio de Janeiro and Salvador de Bahia

We'll be travelling to Brazil soon and while most of our time will be in the Pantanal, we'll also be spending some time in Salvador and Rio. I am a bit concerned about security, so I have done the following for sunrise/sunset photography.

- Booked rooms at hotels in both locations with a view, so I do not need to leave the hotel for sunrise shots
- Booked a sunrise tour with our hotel to Corcovado - with a tour it should be safe to bring my top equipment
- Booked a sunrise tour for Dois Irmaos - again I am assuming a tour with a guide will be safe
- Bought an Rx100 IV to take on the beach and carry around during the daytime

In Salvador we'll be staying in the old town and in Rio we'll be staying at Belmond Copacabana Palace.

My main gear consists of a 7D2, 5D3, and infrared 6D with a number of lenses - TS-E 24 II, 11-24, 100 macro, MP-E 65, 24-70/2.8 II, 70-200/2.8 II, and 200-400/1.4x. (the MP-E 65 + 200-400 mostly for use in the Pantanal)

Am I being too petrified? Is it safe to perhaps carry a 5D3 and a few lenses in a backpack during the day? Also, it sounds like I should be even more alert in Salvador than in Rio (though Rio of course has issues). Is this correct?

Dear Kirispupis,

I live in Rio and I love photography. Although my equipment is fully insured, I am constantly worried about security. Choosing the places to shoot wisely will be paramount to ensure a delightful trip.

You chose the best hotel in Rio in my opinion. Copacabana Palace is where I spent my wedding night. The hotel offers great views of Copacabana beach and the Cagarras islands.

Corcovado is a safe place to take your equipment if you are going with a tour organized by your hotel, but Dois Irmãos might not be safe, specially if you are planning to climb to the top of the smaller brother as the trail begins at a slum. I would take the RX 100 IV to this tour.

You will find very beautiful and safe places to take your equipment and make great photos near your hotel:

The Forte do Leme is an old military fortress on the top of the Leme Hill (looking from the balcony of hotel, it is the large hill on the left side). It has been converted into a tourist attraction and offers great views of Copacabana Beach and the Suggar Loaf (it is a great place for sunrise pictures).

The Forte de Copacabana is another old military fortress on the opposite side of Copacabana Beach. It is another tourist attraction, has a very nice café and offers great views of Copacabana Beach, the Cagarras Islands and the Dois Irmãos. I always take my equipment there, but when I take a tripod, the security guards always say that I can´t use professional equipment there (even if there are other people with tripods or DSLRs).

You should go to the Suggar Loaf. It is one of our most beautiful sightseeing places and it is really safe. You could take all your equipment there and make nice pictures of the sunset.

The Botanical Garden offers very good photo opportunities and is a safe place to go.

The Museu de Arte do Rio (MAR) offers great views of the port area from its rooftop restaurant and is currently hosting two exhibitions of photography about Rio (until August 9th, 2015). If you are interested in seeing pictures of Rio made by our greatest photographers, Instituto Moreira Salles is housing the exhibition "Rio, Primeiras Impressões" with hundreds of images. They have recently published two books, one of pictures of Rio on the turn of the 19th to 20th century made by Marc Ferrez and another with pictures by Robert Polidori.

Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas (known as Lagoa) is also a very photogenic place. I would recommed you to go to Lagoon, a place with several restaurants and nice views.

Niterói (a city on the other side of Guanabara bay) offers some of the best views of Rio and has nice places to take pictures as the Fortaleza de Santa Cruz (another military fortress) and the Museu de Arte Contemporânea.

You could also book a boat tour of Guanabara Bay. It is very good to make sunset pictures.

There are several other places where you could take your equipment safely. Please feel free to contact me either through this topic or by private message if you prefer and I could recommend you more places based on your interests.

Forte do Leme: http://www.cep.ensino.eb.br/forte/visitacao

Forte de Copacabana: http://www.fortedecopacabana.com/

Pão de Açúcar (Suggar Loaf): http://www.bondinho.com.br/

Jardim Botânico do Rio de Janeiro (Botanical Garden): http://en.jbrj.gov.br/

Museu de Arte do Rio: http://www.museudeartedorio.org.br/

Instituto Moreira Salles: http://www.ims.com.br/ims/

Museu de Arte Contemporânea de Niterói: http://www.macniteroi.com.br/

Fortaleza de Santa Cruz de Niterói: http://www.funceb.org.br/espacocultural.asp?materia=265

[]´s
Antonio Leandro

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
We have visited the Pantanal - words fail me to describe the wonder for bird photography. We also stayed at the Copacabana Palace - best breakfast anywhere and great views across the beach. It was very important to have a guide for our visit to drive us everywhere for both interest and safety. For trips like this, the 7DII and 100-400 II are hard to beat.

Lucky you!

Upvote 0
Hi Kiris,

I live in Rio and my advice is to keep your equipment at a bare minimum necessary. Its not safe at all to carry away MK II or whatever with a couple of lenses. Choose 1 body and 1 general purpose lens..it would be better if you have a mirrorless.

Im not wanto to discourage you, but only alert about reality. Yes, there is magnificente views and places here but far from offering a minimum of security to us citizens, especially those with expensive photo equipment.

Rio can be a wonderful experience if you do not look like a tourist with a bunch of thing around your neck. Repeating..here less is more - 1 cam, 1 general purpose lens.

Some nice places beyond my fellows said:

Parque da Catacumba - a few meters from Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon. A little park ideal for hiking with a beautiful visual from lagoon in the high parts.

Mirante do Leblon - Niemeyer avenue. A very nice observatory with a privilege view from Leblon, Ipanema and Arpoador beach. Magic hour is a must in this place.

Skylab bar in Rio Othon Palace Copacabana - Atlantica avenue, 3264. Astonishing view from Copacabana beach. This view at night is breathtaking.

Prainha beach - Near Recreio, barra da Tijuca - Wonderful and preserved beach with no sign of constructions.

I wish you a nice and safe trip.

Upvote 0
Hi, i´m from salvador.

By old town do you mean the historic center, named Pelourinho?
If eyes, the main streets are "safe", police, tourists and locals walking around.

Other attractions like, Farol da Barra, are well policed.

But stay out of the beaches inside the urban perimeter, definitely not safe with big camera and lens.
Teenagers work in groups to steal unaware people.

If you know the places you plan to visit, i can give better tips.

Upvote 0
I was born in Rio de Janeiro, and living in Salvador da Bahia for decades. I was not in the Pantanal, but I know you can find wonders like the picture below, Luiz Claudio Marigo, expert in wildlife photos, which left our world for 1 year.
Luiz_Claudio_Marigo_int.jpg

Our friend, antonioleandro gave good advice about security, and I just add that you should beware of urban forest areas and slums in Rio de Janeiro. If possible, walk always accompanied when shooting at these locations.

I recommend strongly photograph the Catete Palace, where it is permitted to shoot without flash, and an ultra wide lens will be very useful to photograph the beautiful decorated ceilings and rooms of various artistic styles.

In Salvador, avoid deserted streets of Pelourinho, and stay in well-frequented streets, where there is policing. Remember to go in the beautiful Church of San Francisco, also known as the "golden cave" where there are guided tours, and not allowed to flash. Look also visit the Cathedral and its sacristy beautifully decorated with Baroque art.

Upvote 0
Click said:
WOW. Amazing shot.
Yes, the Pantanal offers greater ease of seeing wildlife than anywhere else in Brazil.

Do not get me wrong, but Amazon has dense forests that make it very difficult to photograph animals, because of obstacles such as branches of trees that also block the sunlight.

Just to clarify:
The photography teacher Luiz Claudio Marigo NOT died attacked by a jaguar or by bandits. He died of a heart attack.
luiz+claudio+marigo+cec%C3%ADlia+marigo.jpg

Upvote 0