Lenses for Cruise

KKCFamilyman

Capturing moments in time...
CR Pro
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando
www.allofamily.net
I am going on a disney Cruise with My R6 and was curious if anyone thinks it would be better to leave my 24-105L behind and add the 24-70 2.8L or go with something smaller like an R100 M8. I want good pictures but am torn to go all in or scale back. Anyone recently go down this exercise? Also torn on what speedlite to bring.

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The 24-105 is more versatile for travel. Why do you want to take a speedlite? If you want to pack one just in case, then whatever speedlite you already own will be fine. If you don’t own one, just get any of the Canon mid-range lights. This is a family cruise. Keep the photography simple and concentrate on the family.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
First, I do agree with @unfocused, concentrate on the family if it's a family cruise!

That said, if it was me, I'd certainly be taking some photography gear :) I would take the R6 and I would prefer wider aperture over zoom range, on the basis I assume you will be able to be relatively close to your subjects at least most of the time, you will probably be shooting in low light some of the time, and sometimes you might have a messy background which you'd like to blur. I also assume you won't be carrying gear too far at a time and you will have somewhere to store gear when you are not using it, so weight isn't a big concern. So, I would take a 24-70 f/2.8 over a 24-105 f/4 if I had it, although if I didn't I would just take the 24-105mm. The other thing I would bring though, if I had one available, is a fast prime. In my case, I would take a 35mm. I might even end up taking a second prime too, although if I had a 24-70 or 24-105 and a 35mm, that really should do!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If you owned both a 24-105, AND a 24-70 I'd still recommend the 24-105 as a lens for travel with the family. If you want to spend a little more money, I'd add an RF 16mm and/or RF 100-400. That will expand your range on the wide and long end.

Any speedlight is fine. My favorite is the long since discontinued 320EX. Compact and simple, it also has a small video light.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
24-105 will be my choice for lighter weight and smaller size. It will make a good one lens (only) travel set up. I was forced to use 15-45 on my M50 due to bad weather (rain and snow) for 3 days for both indoor and outdoor. I was more concentrated in taking picture rather than thinking about what lens I should use. I was doing okay and I did not really miss the other lenses.

Upvote 0
I am going on a disney Cruise with My R6 and was curious if anyone thinks it would be better to leave my 24-105L behind and add the 24-70 2.8L or go with something smaller like an R100 M8. I want good pictures but am torn to go all in or scale back. Anyone recently go down this exercise? Also torn on what speedlite to bring.

A Disney Cruise to where?
I would think that would be an important bit of information to have when packing camera gear.

Upvote 0

KKCFamilyman

CR Pro
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando
www.allofamily.net
The 24-105 is more versatile for travel. Why do you want to take a speedlite? If you want to pack one just in case, then whatever speedlite you already own will be fine. If you don’t own one, just get any of the Canon mid-range lights. This is a family cruise. Keep the photography simple and concentrate on the family.
Some of the shots at the dinner table and in the ship can benefit from one.

Upvote 0

KKCFamilyman

CR Pro
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando
www.allofamily.net
If you owned both a 24-105, AND a 24-70 I'd still recommend the 24-105 as a lens for travel with the family. If you want to spend a little more money, I'd add an RF 16mm and/or RF 100-400. That will expand your range on the wide and long end.

Any speedlight is fine. My favorite is the long since discontinued 320EX. Compact and simple, it also has a small video light.
I like the idea of the RF 16mm as a UWA option. I do own the RF 35mm also so would not take much more to bring.

Upvote 0
I have the RF 24-240mm which is what I'm taking on a cruse- and that is it- If it were me, I'd take the 24-105 period ,unless you have lots of room & want to carry lots of lenses around(which is a real PAIN). Don't forget- If you need wide shots and don't have a wide angle or such, you can take two shots and stitch them together!! Works great as longs you over lap the photos by about 30% to make sure. Don't take a bunch of "STUFF" as mentioned, as this is a family thing and you don't want to be left behind every moment changing lenses or fiddling with camera gear- One last thing-if you are going go out on your own taking photos, then carry more, to do what ever kind photography you enjoy!!

Upvote 0