Lenses with smooth/soft contrast

After trying some of the RF lenses I have noticed that the contrast is WAY way to high for my taste. In this case the RF 50/1.8. Blacks are almost completely crushed and highlights are too hot. I understand that the purpose is to have ready JPEGs but it really makes them look harsh and uninspiring.

Now, of course the solution is to edit them to taste but I believe a lot of details can be rendered better with an old school lens. I am not talking about vintage lenses so I simply wonder if there are any modern-ish Canon AF lenses with soft contrast without looking milky? Preferably in the 24-120 range (zooms are OK too)

Thanks!

Well, generally, a lens that is not contrasty, nor punchy, is not a good lens. And really, it's the censor and in-camera JPG processing that is likely responsible for the too-contrasty look that you dislike.

It seems that you would be happier if you bought the worst and cheapest lenses on the market. But short of that, you can easily control contrast in post-processing.

The best EF L, RF L, Zeist, and Leica lenses, the high end Nikkor, and Sony GMs, and the most expensive...they all are known for their punchy colors, contastiness, and the so-called micro contrast attributes. The old Canon EF consumer-grade primes might do the trick for you...

It seems your issues are really non-issues...slow day?

Upvote 0