Let’s talk about the Canon EOS R3 [CR2]

Jan 29, 2011
Not sure why I sat here and read probably half of the comments. Practically everyone pulling out of thin air whatever wish list item they want to see in a camera..............
That’s why the second word In the sites name is Rumors, if it were Encyclopedia or Museum we would expect facts.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 19, 2021
I been thinking about global shutter ,i think i know now how make it.
On 20mp rolling shutter there is 5500 wire over sensor and 3600 pixel on each wire.
On global shutter pixels are arranged to boxes not lines,could call them super pixels and readout from super pixel is spirale. so no rolling shutter efects.
This is global shutter becouse GLOBAL SHUTTER READS ALL super PIXELS SIMULTANEOUSLY. :ROFLMAO:
Recent huge readout bumb on prototype sensors is from wiring is layered as multiple stacks and imrpoved computer powers.
So more super pixel and smaller super pixels.
Not saying 20 million wire global shutter wouldnt be plausible. i am just bit suspicious. would explain why canon looked like falling behind phonecameras,even they just hid their advancing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am expecting similar Pixel count to Sony A1 with similar video features to R5 and longer record times thanks to larger body. If there is a new battery type, battery life still wont be as good as A1 but massive improvement over R5.
It has a dual battery bay. It the SMOKE the A1's battery life

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
This is sounding like a very sexy camera. What I am still having trouble wrapping my head around is the comment that the R3 is ranked between the R5 and 1DXIII.

I'm still coming up to speed with R5, and I competent with my 1DX (I have had it for a few years and love it) and it is excellent. The R3 sounds great on paper: Better than the R5 but not as good as the 1DXIII. The R1 is supposed to be superior to all of the above, and may be here in a year or more.

I'm thinking that in a year or two, I will have mastered my R5 and will use my 1DXII as a second camera. When the R1 comes out I'll have saved the money and will be ready to step up. Mean time, I am not wanting for anything, and I'll be the first to admit that my gear is a lot better than I am, but I work hard to grow into it!

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
I am excited about this R3. I like it when camera companies innovate. I look back on past cameras, like the waist-level cameras and cameras that shot square frames and I dream big. I want a camera that shoots native squares, using the absolute best part of the lenses.

I know that mirrorless cameras shoot a 1:1 square image when shot through a digital viewfinder, but does anyone else besides me have an interest in a BSI sensor that is for RF lenses but measures square, like a 30mm x 30mm sensor, something also high megapixel (60+) for cropping? With the RF mount, larger than 30mm x 30mm may be possible. I know I will never likely see this, but when I see innovation like the r3, I get inspired.
Even better would be a round sensor 43mm in diameter so you can choose to crop : protrait, landscape , square or circular at the flick of a switch and you wouldn't need a vertical grip at , also camera could keep the chosen crop level automatically

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 19, 2021
Even better would be a round sensor 43mm in diameter so you can choose to crop : protrait, landscape , square or circular at the flick of a switch and you wouldn't need a vertical grip at , also camera could keep the chosen crop level automatically
Maybe when readout speeds allow it ,10 year later?
Or they rather want 16 pixel autofocus :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Random thought, since we're all still spitballing, but I'm wondering if the "focus using your eye" tech Canon is mentioning will also allow them to return to using normal eyecups? The EOS 3's eye position sensor was inside the viewfinder itself, and used normal removable eyecups. I desperately hope that the R3 also has user replaceable eyecups, because it drives me crazy that I can't swap the R5's eyepiece out. My weather covers work OK on the R5, but nothing near as nice as the replaceable ones on my 1DX2 and 5D3.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I wasn't quite convinced that the R5 would be the camera that would have me taking the leap to mirrorless. The R3 though might be the one. Very excited to see what this bad boy can do.
I'm sure there are more that may just echo your sentiments, especially your last statement. Real question now is, How long will we have to wait? Bring it on Canon.

Upvote 0

quilatoo

EOS 5D iii
Jul 30, 2020
Something I don't understand about global shutter technology in mirrorless cameras is why exactly it isn't possible at the moment.

Not at the higher framerates of electronic shutters of course but at around the mechanical shutter framerate. I guess I don't get what exactly a mechanical shutter is doing that prevents the rolling shutter effect and why something like the R5 can't shoot silently at 8fps and not get that banding effect.

The R3 is definitely intriguing, especially if it is in a similar range to the R5 MP count.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2018
I like the idea of DPAF with alternating horizontal and vertical orientation. That could also be the 'pixel trick' this rumor talks about and still technically be dual pixel AF, but the next version.

Oh, wait. The rumor talks about resolution trick. So it's probably not related to the DPAF orientation. I still like the idea though.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It has a dual battery bay. It the SMOKE the A1's battery life
It will likely have a single LP-E19 battery like the 1DX III which would be fantastic. It's higher voltage and higher capacity. The higher voltage pushes the big white lenses faster which makes a huge difference in focus acquisition. They are expensive, but worth it. Battery life would more than double 2 lp-e6nh batteries. I always wished that Canon would give us the option in lower cameras (like the R5) to put an LP-E19 into a grip like Nikon did with the D500, D810, etc... where you could either put in two of the regular batteries or the bigger battery from the D6. An LP-E19 would've been a great option for the R5.

Upvote 0
I’m really excited about the Eye Control AF. Curious how much getting used to it will take and how faster will you get not missing stuff cuz of changing the AF point on the joystick/touch. 30fps also sounds nice, but the one thing i hope is it stays the 1D sized battery. I hate how fps drops on my R6 when battery goes low.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I want this to be true, but I don’t want to get my hopes up. The new lenses are scheduled for delivery to stores on 7/29 - wonder what the timeframe will be for this one?
Completely different production lines. Big Whites are (I believe) hand built. Cameras are not. I expect a release around the Olympics

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
I guess I don't get what exactly a mechanical shutter is doing that prevents the rolling shutter effect and why something like the R5 can't shoot silently at 8fps and not get that banding effect.
A mechanical shutter absolutely produces rolling-shutter effect at low shutter speeds; that's where the name originated! Try panning at 1/20th with a subject that's not exactly perpendicular and you'll find that because the curtain takes a finite time to cross the frame, part of the subject is distorted. Because the angular distance changed by the time that the curtain crossed the frame.

Sensor horizontal readout lag is exactly that, and has nothing to do with shutter speed. But the tag "rolling-shutter" was applied because it shows similar artifacts.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
The more I think about this camera, the more I’m getting excited. Just waiting on the key specs from the sensor resolution, video shooting options, and battery/card information. I pray that Canon considers a battery that could slide into and be utilized by the R5/R6 grip as well.It may not sound like that big of a deal, but if I could travel with 1 charger that would charge batteries I could use in both cameras I bring would be incredible....but I’m not holding my breathe on this one. I would selfishly love to see the tray for the LP-E6NH batteries have a more powerful alternative like Nikon offers with its D850, which can use the D5 battery for better performance.

Upvote 0