Lightroom 13.0 adds support for 'AI assisted' fake lens blur

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
This fake bokeh feature uses the depth map attached to the image, which AFAIK only phones do, and uses 'AI' on photos that lack a depth map. Here is a GIF of it in action on a picture using the R5+100-500L.

View attachment 212181

@AlanF has already posted examples of doing this in Photoshop, but LR is more my speed :)
Cheaper and lighter than 500mm f/4.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Wondering if there is already a tool that can create this depth map for DPRAW.
I haven’t come across a working version, there is a research paper on it from a few years ago.
The other issue that adding such a depth map to an image requires writing a bit of code yourself. All the bits and pieces to take a CR3 and save that as a HDR HEIF with depth map are there, but not integrated.

Upvote 0
I thought this feature would be mostly a gimmick, but I was pleasantly surprised. For me it seems to work best on images that already have a fair amount of bokeh to begin with. For other images, I like the photoshop tool better because you can quickly duplicate the original layer, apply the effect to the new top layer, and then use the eraser to blend/touch-up as needed.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I thought this feature would be mostly a gimmick, but I was pleasantly surprised. For me it seems to work best on images that already have a fair amount of bokeh to begin with. For other images, I like the photoshop tool better because you can quickly duplicate the original layer, apply the effect to the new top layer, and then use the eraser to blend/touch-up as needed.
Until the glitches are resolved completely, it's hard for me to not consider a gimmick and I don't see myself being interested until it can create something with more character

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Until the glitches are resolved completely, it's hard for me to not consider a gimmick and I don't see myself being interested until it can create something with more character
Same here, the glitches are hard to correct and it’s infuriating to see that the auto-masking (subject, object) gets it right, but the depth estimator doesn’t.

For the Merlin image I posted in the bird portraits thread, it cut off the top of the head and all the little wet feathers around the body :(

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
I find that it works well if
- The background is already moderately soft
- The applied blur is modest
- There are no fuzzy edges, such as hair, fur and feathers. As these are commonly in my photos, I create two virtual copies, one without the added blur and import as layers into Photoshop. Then, using a soft brush with about 50% opacity, delete the edge of the blurred subject, revealing hair and feather details. Then flatten and import into LR.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0