Lightroom CC appears on the surface to be junk

With no intention to troll I downloaded and installed LR cc 2015 and damn, I'm sitting here exporting 500 raw files and I can't use the software at all. I click on something and have to click several times for the software to respond.

It's as if it's completely using all it's resources to export.

Doesn't happen with v5.7 and I'm sorry to say I'll be stepping back from this. Especially with no external midi controller support. I was initially excited with GPU acceleration but IMHO this is the only reason to upgrade. I'm losing too much for the GPU boost.

Worst still though. What happens when I buy a new camera that 5.7 doesn't support?

Mine is working flawlessly. Sorry to hear yours isn't. Maybe complete uninstall and reinstall. Or don't update an old catalog, use a new one.
It's responsive fast and is using my gpu perfectly. Exports the same maybe a little faster than 5
What are the spec on your computer?? If it's and older than 3 year old computer the gpu may need to be turned off.
Sorry.

Upvote 0
It's now been uninstalled.

Everything was switched off, my system is a 3930k setup, mirrored SSD's, SSD everything basically and the video card is a GTX680 and I've 32GB of ram.

Even with GPU acceleration off it's stuttering (during export - otherwise it's fine).

The lack of midi support has driven me back to V5 which is a shame as I'll likely be screwed when I get a new camera.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
wockawocka said:
It's as if it's completely using all it's resources to export.

Which is a good thing as one of the complaints about LR5 that it doesn't use the computer to its fullest on exports, i.e. takes longer than necessary. If you find it uses too much resources, lower the priority of the LR process or use other means of software throttling.

Can't have your cake and eat it at the same time!

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Mine runs fine when I'm using it. When I leave it sitting there just syncing photos, it crashes ('not responding'). Facial recognition is paused (it's quite annoying that they don't have a menu option to deactivate it, as far as I can tell).

Early adoption blues. It will get fixed.

I was a bit surprised to see that it is running process version 2012.

Upvote 0

Sparadrap

CR Pro
Aug 6, 2012
jcarapet said:
I'm running into a pretty serious issue. Every time I have tried opening lightroom cc, it closes in the startup process. I can't even get it to open. I have installed it/uninstalled it a couple of times to the same result. I will have to wait for a forum troubleshooting article to figure out how to fix this.

Had same problem. After installation, log out of Creative Cloud and log back in. Forums indicate this works for most users the first time - as it did for me. Occasional user reported having to log out several times before it works.

Otherwise, Lightroom CC is working flawlessly for me.

David

Upvote 0

dppaskewitz

CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
jcarapet said:
I'm running into a pretty serious issue. Every time I have tried opening lightroom cc, it closes in the startup process. I can't even get it to open. I have installed it/uninstalled it a couple of times to the same result. I will have to wait for a forum troubleshooting article to figure out how to fix this.

Wow, that would be progress for me. I installed through Creative Cloud. Would not even initiate. I uninstalled, then reinstalled through Creative Cloud. Still nothing. I had the same type of problems with Photoshop CC 2014 last year. Then, magically, it started working. Guess I'll just use LR 5.7 for another week or two and see what happens. I'd rather spend the time hunched over the computer actually doing something rather than trying to figure out Adobe's foibles.

EDIT: After reading the post above (OK, I should have viewed it before posting), I did sign out and back into Creative Cloud. That did the trick. LR CC now installed and running.

Upvote 0

lourenco

5D3
Dec 17, 2014
I noticed on exporting images it does use multiple threads / cores. It was average 50% CPU usage before on 5.7. It is trying to stay closer to 100% now with Lightroom CC.

I noticed on printing it seems to be the same as 5.7 still. I am thinking if I planning to print a large batch of images, it might be quicker to export the CR2 as JPG. Import the JPG with the changes, and print those. Given on export it uses close to 100% CPU Usage , but on printing it is only at around 50% CPU Usage.

I was really hoping Lightroom CC would be more like photo mechanic regarding how quickly I can review and pick the images I want.

I am thinking it might be a few more revisions until Lightroom is quick enough for me.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
dppaskewitz said:
jcarapet said:

Wow, that would be progress for me. I installed through Creative Cloud. Would not even initiate. I uninstalled, then reinstalled through Creative Cloud. Still nothing. I had the same type of problems with Photoshop CC 2014 last year. Then, magically, it started working. Guess I'll just use LR 5.7 for another week or two and see what happens. I'd rather spend the time hunched over the computer actually doing something rather than trying to figure out Adobe's foibles.

EDIT: After reading the post above (OK, I should have viewed it before posting), I did sign out and back into Creative Cloud. That did the trick. LR CC now installed and running.

I had the same issue. Thankfully a quick google search came to the rescue.

Upvote 0

2n10

CR Pro
Aug 25, 2012
Sparks, NV
wockawocka said:
It's now been uninstalled.

Everything was switched off, my system is a 3930k setup, mirrored SSD's, SSD everything basically and the video card is a GTX680 and I've 32GB of ram.

Even with GPU acceleration off it's stuttering (during export - otherwise it's fine).

The lack of midi support has driven me back to V5 which is a shame as I'll likely be screwed when I get a new camera.

I believe this is your problem. I believe I saw another user posting issues with the same card. It appears that the card does not have all of the prerequisites needed to run LR CC. Might want to look it up. Do make sure you have the most recent code from Nvidia for the card.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
jcarapet said:

I had the same issue. I followed the suggestions, created a new administrative user, and then it started, sort of, but only once. Finally, I shut some recently added startup programs, and it then started and worked fine.

Then, I turned the startup programs on again in two groups, it still started up and runs fine. I created a new catalog and imported from the old LR5 one. I also deleted the test user.

Now its working fine, so I don't know why I had the issue initially, but I had reinstalled 3 times and tried a lot of things.

I believe that the process of eliminating startups caused me to logout of CC, and log in again. That probably was the fix.

I now have it pretty well setup, it does seem to render just a bit slower, I turned off the Graphic card acceleration, that made little difference that I could see.

Then, I created a panorama, but found that I much preferred the photoshop version where I could use content aware fill to keep from cropping most of the sky away. This was my first attempt at panoramas, I'll do it differently the next try and take photos in portrait orientation so I have lots of sky to crop.

Here they are:

Lightroom Version:

untitled-9183-Pano-XL.jpg

Photoshop version:

Columbia%20River%20at%20Maryhill%2C%20WA-1-XL.jpg

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
2n10 said:
I believe this is your problem. I believe I saw another user posting issues with the same card. It appears that the card does not have all of the prerequisites needed to run LR CC. Might want to look it up. Do make sure you have the most recent code from Nvidia for the card.

It looks GPU support is going to make people act like children. LR 6 has not so high end GPU needs (after all, it's just a 2D application, although applying some complex effects), and it's better to avoid to troll around "hey, my card is bigger than yours!".
There will be issues in the beginning to support properly the different video cards, be calm, tell Adobe, and wait...

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Then, I created a panorama, but found that I much preferred the photoshop version where I could use content aware fill to keep from cropping most of the sky away.

Yup, I just tried a LR6 pano and that's my complaint, too. By now this is my #1 LR bug, it's the same when doing perspective correction - you cannot heal-fill the white border. On panos, this is a severe drawback as usually it's no problem to patch a bit of grass or sky on the edges.

On the other hand, your samples demonstrate why I can be beneficial "just" to use ACR/LR: It prevents you from over-editing the shots :p

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Well they gotta save SOME things for PS I suppose. Gotta "cripple" LR. Adobe must be run by Canon. (There, someone had to make the joke and get it out the way...) :p

Marsu42 said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Then, I created a panorama, but found that I much preferred the photoshop version where I could use content aware fill to keep from cropping most of the sky away.

Yup, I just tried a LR6 pano and that's my complaint, too. By now this is my #1 LR bug, it's the same when doing perspective correction - you cannot heal-fill the white border. On panos, this is a severe drawback as usually it's no problem to patch a bit of grass or sky on the edges.

On the other hand, your samples demonstrate why I can be beneficial "just" to use ACR/LR: It prevents you from over-editing the shots :p

Upvote 0
Hello,

Isn't it a little early to judge a software the same day or day after it was released?

Personally I tend to wait a little while before jumping on the upgrade train to have the most severe bugs and quirks hopefully worked out in a 1.0.x release...

I know this won't help you out there with issues right now, but do use the possibility to forward your experiences with the software developer, it's a win win in the long term for you as customer and their product.

Upvote 0
Sparadrap said:
jcarapet said:

Had same problem. After installation, log out of Creative Cloud and log back in. Forums indicate this works for most users the first time - as it did for me. Occasional user reported having to log out several times before it works.

Otherwise, Lightroom CC is working flawlessly for me.

David

That did solve the problem, but only if you log out of the desktop CC application, not the browser. That got me a couple of times until I found the preferences window.

Upvote 0