Lightroom CC appears on the surface to be junk

Downloaded the upgrade for Windows and have had no issues. Finding certain functions are much faster and others about the same. Do like the Panorama DNG. Seems to give more information than the LR to PS version. Really like the improved sliders. Much better movement control. Can now make subtle changes without having to slide back an forth and settling for the almost right position. Wish when upgrading catalogs, the new version was named XXXX-6 or XXXX-LR6 verses the Old -2. Have a few older catalogs that are now XXXX-2-2-2.

Upvote 0
So far it looks rather boring to me. The videos on the new features try to hype the most basic of UI features. Adobe, lets see if you can improve the noise reduction like DxO has done. For those using older versions of lightroom, even PS5, this doesnt seem to offer you much over the version you have now. Certainly not worth the upgrade price.

Upvote 0

GDub

I R Photographer
Oct 5, 2011
Montréal, Québec
mediarare.com
"Junk?" I moved beyond my standalone copy and downloaded the CC version today (I've had Photoshop CC for over a year). No hitches with the download. Lightroom CC works great. I updated several of my catalogs and did a little fiddling--no problems. Obviously, I haven't had time to explore the new features, but so far so good.

I'm a Mac Retina laptop user, most recent Yosemite update, big hard drive, 16G RAM--pretty much an ideal environment for the new Lightroom.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
PureClassA said:
Suggestion. Please everyone specify what OS you are running in with LRCC if you're having problems. I loaded it on my MacPro with Yosemite last night and works flawlessly. Is this a Windows thing for ya'll? Just wondering.

In Windows you're going to encounter many more GPU models/submodels - and even if the chip is the same, from different brands with slightly different implementations, while updated drivers are not supplied by the OS (but ensure your Windows is fully patched to ensure latest drivers have no problems).
Also, OpenGL is somewhat less used because the platform "standard graphic library" is DirectX. There's a good chance there will be more issues on Windows than on OSX.

IMHO Adobe should have run a far larger beta/preview program to identify most of those issues earlier, especially if most of its usual beta testers are not usually Windows users, or anyway use just a fairly standard and recent subset of Windows hardware.

I would wait for Adobe to gather results of this first run, I believe it will need to fix a "couple" of things, before starting to complain "loudly". After all, who would use a wholly new camera for any important assignment?

Upvote 0
MJ said:
Isn't it a little early to judge a software the same day or day after it was released?

The odd bugs will be ironed out, but it doesn't take long to realize that hdr and pano are gimmicks - very basic functionality nothing there you couldn't do already with 3rd party tools (even free ones). Sure, it's handy to have them built in for a quick merging, but I sympathize if someone should think that wasn't worth the long wait.

Upvote 0

painya

A pretty photo isn't always a good one.
jcarapet said:
I'm running into a pretty serious issue. Every time I have tried opening lightroom cc, it closes in the startup process. I can't even get it to open. I have installed it/uninstalled it a couple of times to the same result. I will have to wait for a forum troubleshooting article to figure out how to fix this.
Same here. Windows 8. Let me know if you find a solution.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
PureClassA said:
Suggestion. Please everyone specify what OS you are running in with LRCC if you're having problems. I loaded it on my MacPro with Yosemite last night and works flawlessly. Is this a Windows thing for ya'll? Just wondering.
Good call, this helps others get a clearer perspective on the matter. I have a rubber burning Windows 8.1 PC specced for video editing (PremierPro CC) so don't expect hitches when I find time to do the LR CC update, probably on the weekend.

FWIW does anyone know if the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 has the right spec for LR CC?

-pw

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
pwp said:
PureClassA said:
Good call, this helps others get a clearer perspective on the matter. I have a rubber burning Windows 8.1 PC specced for video editing (PremierPro CC) so don't expect hitches when I find time to do the LR CC update, probably on the weekend.

FWIW does anyone know if the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 has the right spec for LR CC?

-pw

It should be fine, I have a base model Dell with a low end GT720 which does not seem to do anything special, but the software runs when it is activated, so it doesn't hurt. I now have a excuse to do a upgrade.

Upvote 0
PureClassA said:

Mac OS 10.10.3, Intel iris graphic, MacBook Pro, Retina Mid 2014 13"

Running just fine

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2012
seriously how can LR be this bad, Bridge is a million times faster to browse quickly with arrow keys compared to LR,browsing quickly with the film strip is slow, browsing in grid is slow when you quickly use arrow keys but if you use mouse scroll on both its fast. Priority should be on movement not on loading the image/metadata seriously who needs the full res picture to load when you are quickly moving around in the film strip or grid view.

Import you have to wait so long for the damn thumbnails to load when even opening the CF folder in windows shows all the thumbnails super fast its actually instant on my computer even on Bridge. Why cant it load the temp thumbnails quickly and in the background load the meta etc and priorities the clicked images? Many times i have to just go to the folder quickly delete the old stuff off my card to speed up import in LR.

Face detect view slowest experience ever press check mark wait 1 second for it to go away and the next one to move over, this should be a fast experience where you can quickly click yes or no/remove face area. Scrolling down = low fps,tearing and jumpy scroll when it should be a smooth experience.

I can keep listing problems i just don't understand who programs Lightroom and how come no one can see these things?

I use many of Adobe products and LR is the crappiest user experience of them all.

sorry for the rant i thought Adobe would notice things like this and fix them in LR6 hopefully LR7 will improve.

am i the only one who works like this? using arrow keys to quickly browse around in film strips/grid view?

Upvote 0

2n10

CR Pro
Aug 25, 2012
Sparks, NV
LDS said:
2n10 said:
I believe this is your problem. I believe I saw another user posting issues with the same card. It appears that the card does not have all of the prerequisites needed to run LR CC. Might want to look it up. Do make sure you have the most recent code from Nvidia for the card.

It looks GPU support is going to make people act like children. LR 6 has not so high end GPU needs (after all, it's just a 2D application, although applying some complex effects), and it's better to avoid to troll around "hey, my card is bigger than yours!".
There will be issues in the beginning to support properly the different video cards, be calm, tell Adobe, and wait...
The response has nothing to do with "my card is bigger than your card". I was just informing the OP that there have been issues reported with certain cards. Do note that I mentioned making sure the most recent Nvidia update had been applied.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
2n10 said:
The response has nothing to do with "my card is bigger than your card". I was just informing the OP that there have been issues reported with certain cards. Do note that I mentioned making sure the most recent Nvidia update had been applied.

No. You told his card didn't have the required spec "appears that the card does not have all of the prerequisites needed to run LR CC.", but that card has the required minimum specs (at least what you can find in LR online help), and even more. And if the car doesn't have the prerequistes, updating the driver does nothing.

You were giving a wholly incorrect and misleading information.

It's clear that Adobe is having problem to support some configurations (and it's all its fault for a poor beta testing) - just before saying a card is not supported, let's wait for Adobe to clear that mess a bit...

Upvote 0
Hector1970 said:
Has anyone used the facial recognition and how good is it.
Can it with children recognise them as it goes back throught the years?
(I can hardly recognise them myself they change so much)

Tried it last night and it's ok, not great. It identifies faces that are straight at the camera but doesn't for profiles or when there is a lot of hair covering the face. It gets better the more info it has (confirmed identities from you). I keyworded photos with family member names already. This may be a bit faster but to get it to work as well keywording on your own, but it requires just as much scrutiny. So first pass, I use the feature. Second pass, I go through each pic in a folder and add face boxes to those that it did not identify.

Upvote 0
I've noticed that on my machine the new LR is an absolute pig in terms of memory usage. With LR 5.7 it used about 1.1-1.3 GB of memory when sitting around doing nothing. The new LR seems to use between 3.8-4.1 GB of memory at idle.

Edit: I just tested this again and it seems to start off at a pretty reasonable level in terms of memory usage. Seems that Adobe may have a memory leak issue.

Upvote 0