Lightweight lens for backpacking and bicycle touring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody have a recommendation for a good lightweight and wide angle lens for a crop frame camera (canon 7D) to use for bicycle touring and backpacking. This June I am riding 1300 miles across southern Europe, and my 24-70 is too heavy and not wide enough for the trip. I'm considering the canon 10-22, sigma 10-20, tamron 10-24, and maybe even the canon 15-85. The focal length on the 15-85 sounds incredible, but I'm a little hesitant about not being sharp enough since its often bundled as an entry level lens. Any other ideas for good lenses? I've used the 17-40, but I dont consider it wide enough or sharp enough (or at least the copy I used wasn't) and the 16-35 is out of my price range.

I'm leaning towards the Tamron 10-24, but I've read a couple bad reviews on Amazon concerning image quality.

Thanks all!

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
I purchased the Sigma 17-70f/2.8-4 DC Macro Lens for my Son to use on his 60D, Lens is designed for APS/C sensors, nice zoom range, and I cant fault the sharpness, this is my 3rd Sigma Lens, I've had the 70 Macro for a while (Good Lens) the 35f/1.4 (Excellent Lens) & the 17-70 (Also a Good Lens), all my other Lenses are Canon, but for a reasonably priced low end Zoom, I think the Sigma is worth a Look.

Upvote 0
Are you planning on taking only one lens? If so, the 10-22 might leave you wanting more reach over the course of a trip like that. I'd suggest the 15-85 from those you mention. It's a great lens, obviously wide zoom range, good MFD, and my heavily used refurb. copy has sharpness on a par with my 24-105L. I've not seen it bundled as an entry level lens... maybe you are thinking of the 18-55 kit lens. Downside of the 15-85 is it's 5.6 at the long end. Put a shorty 40 or fantastic 50 in your pack for lower light capability.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
sullivan06 said:
The focal length on the 15-85 sounds incredible, but I'm a little hesitant about not being sharp enough since its often bundled as an entry level lens.

I think you are mistaken. The 15-85 is not routinely bundled as an entry level lens. Both the 15-85 and 17-55 2.8 are excellent lenses with "L" quality sharpness. But, the 15-85 is not a light lens. Still, if you are only taking one lens, it is the best all-around lens for a 7D, as it covers a 24-135 35mm equivalent range. If it is the only lens you are taking, it is the best choice, although I usually pair it with the 70-300 L zoom. Together, I can confidently go almost anywhere and know I will be able to cover almost any situation I run into.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies.

I plan on bringing only one lens for weight reasons. I'm almost considering just buying a canon point-and -shoot, just for weight reasons (heresy, I know).

I like the wide angle aspect, so that is why I ruled out the 40mm pancake+ on a crop sensor that is really a 64mm.

I have not taken a look at the Tokina 11-16- party because I want a little more focal length (versatility) for the lens.

I will also look more seriously at a 15-85. Like I mentioned earlier, the focal length sounds great, I'm just a little hesitant about how good IQ will be.

Thanks again for all the help.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
Depends on how much time is spent cycling and how much in photography. I travelled by motorbike through Patagonia a few years ago. I took a 10-22, 28-135 and 70-200f4. I also took an A-series point and shoot. Most of the photos were with the point and shoot. However, most of the "special" photos were on the 20D and most of those were with the 28-135. Convenience was everything.

If I would do the trip again with a crop camera, I'd take a 15-85 plus 50 f1.8 for low light.

I have a Samyang 14 f2.8. I would not take that on a trip with a crop camera. It is large, manual focus and manual aperture lens. Great astrolandscape lens, but not a travel lens on crop camera. The 10-22 is far superior for this purpose, but to a degree redundant with the 15-85.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
Frodo said:
Depends on how much time is spent cycling and how much in photography. I travelled by motorbike through Patagonia a few years ago. I took a 10-22, 28-135 and 70-200f4. I also took an A-series point and shoot. Most of the photos were with the point and shoot. However, most of the "special" photos were on the 20D and most of those were with the 28-135. Convenience was everything.

If I would do the trip again with a crop camera, I'd take a 15-85 plus 50 f1.8 for low light.

I have a Samyang 14 f2.8. I would not take that on a trip with a crop camera. It is large, manual focus and manual aperture lens. Great astrolandscape lens, but not a travel lens on crop camera. The 10-22 is far superior for this purpose, but to a degree redundant with the 15-85.

That's why we have the 40mm pancake ... turn your DSLR into a P&S :)

Upvote 0
bycostello said:
i'd get a mirrorless comapct system..

+1 at least for compact. I think it is a nice idea to take a DSLR on such a trip but is it really practical? I think not, and you will find, packing and unpacking your camera, lens of choice for that moment, charger etc a pain and time consuming.

I would buy a nice small Sony (Nex7, RX100 or such), Fuji (forget their names) or such like and enjoy the trip more. Seriously.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.