Linked Shooting mode ST-E3-RT Advice

Jan 29, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
privatebydesign said:
I can see a remote camera being set up for wildlife with a better beamer type flash on camera then the ST-E3-RT should be able to be used to trigger them both, but I don't think they can be used like that.

But my hähnel wireless remote trigger will do that just fine.

So will the CamRanger ;)

So will the RS-80-N3 and the ET-1000N3 I got when we didn't have better options! Before that I had a 30' pneumatic plunger style cable release. Oh how times change..........

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
privatebydesign said:
neuroanatomist said:
privatebydesign said:
I can see a remote camera being set up for wildlife with a better beamer type flash on camera then the ST-E3-RT should be able to be used to trigger them both, but I don't think they can be used like that.

But my hähnel wireless remote trigger will do that just fine.

So will the CamRanger ;)

So will the RS-80-N3 and the ET-1000N3 I got when we didn't have better options! Before that I had a 30' pneumatic plunger style cable release. Oh how times change..........

Yeah, but mine is at the Goldilocks price. ;)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
As threads often do, this has gone more into full blown remote, which also is of interest to me since my 1DX2 is lacking. Keeping things as simple as possible since I'm overloaded by many projects on my plate besides photography and allowing that the cost does not need to be the absolute minimum (just reasonable) what is the best choice for full control with a smart phone (does video function as well?). My wife said this AM why not just get the Canon dongle but would that be a waste of money? It seems there are differing opinions.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Jack, as always it helps if you start out with a list of what you need from the remote and what you can live without.

If a simple remote trigger is all you need then there are a multitude of them available, I have used Yongnuo ones very successfully and although some of their stuff is pretty bad the triggers I had were rock solid and reliable.

If you want a bit more out of the remote like time-lapse etc then again, there is a broad range and Neuro regularly recommends his hähnel wireless remote trigger which as he says is priced just right if that is the functionality you want.

I specifically need the ability to see the image I just took on the iPad, so for me there are three options that I know of, the work around mentioned before, the CamRanger, and the Canon WFT-E8A. I used to use the WFT's on my 1DS MkIII's but found them unreliable and glitchy, they were also a nightmare to set up with many pages of unintelligible tech speak to navigate to get a connection. The newer WFT's are a bit better and the apps give better options, but it is Canon software and there is a reason they sell cameras and not software! However the WFT does integrate with the camera very nicely and offers weather sealing at an exorbitant price........

The CamRanger and the work around both offer more camera control than the Canon software. I have used pretty much every flavor of remote and have settled on the CamRanger but that is because I have three overwhelming criteria I need filled. I need to view remotely, I need extended bracket sequences, and it needs to just work. If I didn't want the extended control functionality I'd get a WFT.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Scott, my only experience in this realm was with my previous 6D. I had it working reasonably well, viewing and focusing for example, on the moon, using my computer and having the camera outside on a cold night on the deck.

Somewhere along the line things messed up with the remote shooting software and I gave up on it. Before that, since I have my barn attic observatory set up for photographing birds in the trees that are close by, I was keen on doing some of that from my house computer but the distance is probably about 100 - 120 feet and the 6D was very slow/flaky just short of that distance. If I can't get a range exceeding 100' then it's not too useful to me.

I built a treepod to clamp the camera to a tree up high say to shoot a nest and the physical contraption turned out fairly well and could be used if I had remote shooting capability but every year I doddle I get another year older and climbing trees gets less feasible. ;)

This shot was done in that manner but I was on a ladder reaching up to the camera. A remote would have been much easier and safer and less of a concern for the parent although I wasn't super close with 800mm.

Jack

Attachments

• N YS flicker_14681.JPG
    N YS flicker_14681.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 182
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Best cheapest option while you work out what you want and how much you will use it is a 150' (Edit: foot not inch!) Ethernet cable. Plug it in to your camera ethernet port and into your network and you can control it from your computer. Its doesn't even have to be connected directly to your computer just a port anywhere on your network. If you have a wireless device also connected to that network you can use that to control the camera and view the images as well.

Indeed I have done that with the 1DX MkII and the software you use is the same as the software for the WFT but without all the techno mumbo jumbo. A couple of simple auto selects and your camera is available to any device on your network.

Upvote 0