List of rumored lenses

J

Joseph

kubelik said:
lot of people shooting pretty happily with 50 f/1.4s with no problems, and I'm one of them. definitely shoot plenty with it, and plenty with it in AF mode. considering it costs just over 3 times as much as the f/1.8, the question is really, is it 3 times better. between the image+bokeh quality and the build quality and the extra 2/3 stop of light, I'd say definitely yes.

I've never used the 1.8 or 1.4 , but I have read so many articles of photojournalist using the 1.4 in the field - they say that it can take an incredible beating , and shoot amazing images in harsh situations - I only own all L series lenes , but I really considered getting one of these from the stories I have heard !

Upvote 0
P

psycho5

Nickbroberts said:
Having studied materials at university, I would consider engineering polymers to generally be superior materials for lens barrel and camera construction to metals for most uses - and the 100 L macro certainly doesn't feel insubstantial to me. The only L lens I've owned that does feel lighter than I would expect, but is not flimsy, is the 70-200 f4 L IS, and the only L lens I've had that's fallen apart is my ancient and metal-barrelled 20-35 f2.8 L, and that only after it was dropped - and it used to belong to a press photographer in its prime, anyway, so it's had a hard life.

LOL, totally agree with you. Same reason why soldiers perfer using MAGPUL pmags over the traditional 'metal' mags... THEY LAST LONG ENOUGH TO NOT ONLY CARRY YOU THROUGH ONE FIGHT BUT MANY MORE THEREAFTER.

However, the only issue with polymers is getting the tight tolerances and consistentcy that metals can offer. This is one reason why Apple sticks with Aluminium

Upvote 0
Canon still uses metal for the parts of lenses where those tight tolerances matter, however.

Apple is just...Apple. You pay for that image, and image is really all that the aluminum cases offer (well, that and perhaps some insignificant benefit for cooling since the cases don't have heat-dissipating ridges that I can see - they still use fans, as far as I can tell, on everything that doesn't have an iPhone class of CPU inside). Admittedly, my old Motorola Razr has a lot of metal on the shell.

Upvote 0
S

scottsdaleriots

Apple marketing has done a brilliant job marketing that little white apple logo. Seriously, everyone wants an apple product. I've that the next gen of macbook pros might not be aluminum, can't remember exactly what it's going to be but something like liquid steel or something.

I wonder if Canon would consider changing how it builds its lenses - perhaps not using liquid steel or whatever, but forgo the metal within the next 50 years.

I kinda wish it was 2012 already so we'd have MORE info/specs/confirmation on the next 24-70!! ;D

Upvote 0
GeorgeMaciver said:
Er, nope, I've never wanted an apple product :p Don't think I ever will either :)
haha, i'm with you. i'm totally allergic of apple and it's marketing strategy.

but hey, let's get back on topic.
i hope they will announce the 200-400mm soon. can't wait to see what this baby can do and how much it will cost

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
EchoLocation said:
What about a 17-40L II? I want a wide walk around lens with a bit of zoom for my 5D. I am considering buying the 17-40 I, but they just don't seem to sharp and this is a very old lens. When's the refresh coming?

My 17-40 is very sharp on the 5D - what makes you think they aren't??
I borrowed my cousins 17-40 to use on my 5DC for a few weeks and I got very few sharp shots. He is selling his and I really want to buy it, but I just feel like it's not a sharp lens(or maybe just his copy.)
Regardless, anyone have any ideas about the timetable for a 17-40 II announcement? I'm really loving the other "II" lenses that have been released so I'm definitely curious about this lens.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

EchoLocation said:
briansquibb said:
EchoLocation said:
What about a 17-40L II? I want a wide walk around lens with a bit of zoom for my 5D. I am considering buying the 17-40 I, but they just don't seem to sharp and this is a very old lens. When's the refresh coming?

My 17-40 is very sharp on the 5D - what makes you think they aren't??
I borrowed my cousins 17-40 to use on my 5DC for a few weeks and I got very few sharp shots. He is selling his and I really want to buy it, but I just feel like it's not a sharp lens(or maybe just his copy.)
Regardless, anyone have any ideas about the timetable for a 17-40 II announcement? I'm really loving the other "II" lenses that have been released so I'm definitely curious about this lens.

The 17-40 is at its sharpest between f/8 and f/11 so ideal for landscapes.

Upvote 0
Joseph said:
kubelik said:
lot of people shooting pretty happily with 50 f/1.4s with no problems, and I'm one of them. definitely shoot plenty with it, and plenty with it in AF mode. considering it costs just over 3 times as much as the f/1.8, the question is really, is it 3 times better. between the image+bokeh quality and the build quality and the extra 2/3 stop of light, I'd say definitely yes.

I've never used the 1.8 or 1.4 , but I have read so many articles of photojournalist using the 1.4 in the field - they say that it can take an incredible beating , and shoot amazing images in harsh situations - I only own all L series lenes , but I really considered getting one of these from the stories I have heard !

Amazing stories about the 50 1.4 taking harsh beatings???
?? The 50 1.4 has just about the worst build of any canon lens. The AF is easily damaged or broken.
All I see is stories about how the AF broke yet again, etc.
Every person I know who has had one has had it break and yet I don't know anyone who has ever had any other Canon lens ever break.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

LetTheRightLensIn said:
Amazing stories about the 50 1.4 taking harsh beatings???
?? The 50 1.4 has just about the worst build of any canon lens. The AF is easily damaged or broken.
All I see is stories about how the AF broke yet again, etc.
Every person I know who has had one has had it break and yet I don't know anyone who has ever had any other Canon lens ever break.

Never had a problem with mine :D
I had the AF fail on my 70-200 f/4 :(

Upvote 0

kdsand

Newt II a human stampede
Nov 1, 2011
north west indiana
How often are these failing? I can see how plastic components like gears do wear out or fail but hasnt Canon been using plastic internal componants in all most everything for ages?

I hear how bad the 60D plastic body is. If I had the choice I would have paid extra for magnesium but it wasn't a deal breaker.

Upvote 0
H

hoousi

Just posted this in the other thread:

My local cps/nps shop already has the 200-400 posted on his website, below is the thumbnail.
I don't know if the photo is just a placeholder, also his canon official links goes to the main page of canon switzerland. But I believe the 200-400 is in front of the door.

Attachments

• 3e8d23b2c7.jpg
    3e8d23b2c7.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 2,218
Upvote 0