looking for equivalent to efs 17-55 f/2.8 in EF line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
The FF equivalent of the 17-55mm f/2.8 is a hypothetical 27-88mm f/4.5 lens. So, compared to the 17-55 on APS-C, the 24-105 on FF is wider, longer, and the aperture is 1.3 stops wider in terms of DoF for the same framing. Yes, it's still f/4 for exposure, but the FF sensor also has at least 1.3 stops less ISO noise (more like 1.5 going from 40D to 5DII), so you can bump the ISO to make up the stop and still be ahead on noise. Overall IQ of the 24-105 on FF is better than the 17-55 on APS-C, and you keep IS. The only thing you're giving up is the activation of the f/2.8-sensitive center AF point.

Upvote 0

Ryan708

Less bickering, more shooting
Mar 1, 2012
New Hampshire
Z said:
The 24-105 f/4.

At a glance the f/4 figure will seem like a downgrade from the f/2.8 of the 17-55, but the short answer is the full frame sensor will more than compensate for the smaller max aperture.

Neuro will probably be along in a mo to explain exactly why. The technical details escape me ;)

Haha, good call. Neuro's thoughts are exactly why I want to move to FF. I want an L class standard lens with IS, and an L class ultrawide, thats not too horrible on distortion. Thinking of 17-40 (when not an UWA will be a standard on 60d backup) and a 24-105L. Waiting on some reviews of the 6d before I choose a body. Id love a 5DMkIII but that won't be happening :-/

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
The FF equivalent of the 17-55mm f/2.8 is a hypothetical 27-88mm f/4.5 lens. So, compared to the 17-55 on APS-C, the 24-105 on FF is wider, longer, and the aperture is 1.3 stops wider in terms of DoF for the same framing. Yes, it's still f/4 for exposure, but the FF sensor also has at least 1.3 stops less ISO noise (more like 1.5 going from 40D to 5DII), so you can bump the ISO to make up the stop and still be ahead on noise. Overall IQ of the 24-105 on FF is better than the 17-55 on APS-C, and you keep IS. The only thing you're giving up is the activation of the f/2.8-sensitive center AF point.

Thanks Neuro, answering my question even before I asked it as I am also considering the 6D and my most used lens is the Sigma 17-50 OS HSM

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
It's blowing my mind how much better the 24-105 seems to be when mounted on the 5DIII as opposed to my 60D (or the T2i I had before)...it's like I unleashed its full potential.

I mean, it was still a decent lens on the 60D...but it just seems to come alive on the 5D. such a strange feeling...I've heard people on this forum and elsewhere rave about it and went ??? ...but now I understand...

Anyway, having used the 17-55 pretty extensively on the 60D, I'd say the 5D with 24-105 is definitely a step up in quality, if you're in good light. In low light I'd consider the required raising of ISO to be more or less an equalizer in terms of quality. I find 60D 3200 = 5D 6400 for instance. 5D's 6400 probably still maintains a slight edge in my opinion, but you'd really have to view at 100% to tell a difference.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Act444 said:
It's blowing my mind how much better the 24-105 seems to be when mounted on the 5DIII as opposed to my 60D (or the T2i I had before)...it's like I unleashed its full potential.

I mean, it was still a decent lens on the 60D...but it just seems to come alive on the 5D. such a strange feeling...I've heard people on this forum and elsewhere rave about it and went ??? ...but now I understand...

Anyway, having used the 17-55 pretty extensively on the 60D, I'd say the 5D with 24-105 is definitely a step up in quality, if you're in good light. In low light I'd consider the required raising of ISO to be more or less an equalizer in terms of quality. I find 60D 3200 = 5D 6400 for instance. 5D's 6400 probably still maintains a slight edge in my opinion, but you'd really have to view at 100% to tell a difference.

Most find the 24-105 a bit better on a crop. Assuming, that is, that its a crop with AFMA fine tuning the autofocus.
I love my 24-105mm L on both my crop and FF bodies, its one of the few FF lenses that are supurb on crop bodies as well as FF.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Act444 said:

Most find the 24-105 a bit better on a crop. Assuming, that is, that its a crop with AFMA fine tuning the autofocus.
I love my 24-105mm L on both my crop and FF bodies, its one of the few FF lenses that are supurb on crop bodies as well as FF.

I agree that it's a great lens on both types of cameras.

I will say that the 60D perhaps can get better all-around performance out of the 24-105 because you don't get the distortion at 24mm nor the soft corners at f4...

on the 5D, to ME at least, it becomes a much more versatile lens because 1) it goes wide, making it usable indoors 2) I find IQ around the center to be much better, 3) its superior high ISO capability makes f4 less of a crutch in low-light situations.

Upvote 0
Ryan708 said:
Z said:
The 24-105 f/4.

At a glance the f/4 figure will seem like a downgrade from the f/2.8 of the 17-55, but the short answer is the full frame sensor will more than compensate for the smaller max aperture.

Neuro will probably be along in a mo to explain exactly why. The technical details escape me ;)

Haha, good call. Neuro's thoughts are exactly why I want to move to FF. I want an L class standard lens with IS, and an L class ultrawide, thats not too horrible on distortion. Thinking of 17-40 (when not an UWA will be a standard on 60d backup) and a 24-105L. Waiting on some reviews of the 6d before I choose a body. Id love a 5DMkIII but that won't be happening :-/
I would go with a 5D II over the 6D. It's cheaper and still an excellent camera.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.