LowePro -- camera backpack with sweet idea built-in

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Hat tip to LowePro here:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/8231212873/lowepro-freeline-bp-350-quickshelf-technology

Not my kind of bag, but I love multipurpose bags that can be X on one day and Y the next (especially for travel). This typically means the use of sliding in/out photo inserts, photo cubes, etc.

But see this design: play the second video down the page at around 4:00 and they show off the new hotness.

The interior is a scaffold that folds flat when you don't need it. you can pull the insert out if you want, but you can also just fold it up and leave it in there -- use the bag as an open backpack. No need to fight with all sorts if velcro/snap hard points to mount/dismount it, and you can never leave it at home. Think of it as stow-and-go seating in your minivan or SUV.

Slow clap for a genuinely clever idea.

- A

ahsanford said:
Hat tip to LowePro here:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/8231212873/lowepro-freeline-bp-350-quickshelf-technology

Not my kind of bag, but I love multipurpose bags that can be X on one day and Y the next (especially for travel). This typically means the use of sliding in/out photo inserts, photo cubes, etc.

But see this design: play the second video down the page at around 4:00 and they show off the new hotness.

The interior is a scaffold that folds flat when you don't need it. you can pull the insert out if you want, but you can also just fold it up and leave it in there -- use the bag as an open backpack. No need to fight with all sorts if velcro/snap hard points to mount/dismount it, and you can never leave it at home. Think of it as stow-and-go seating in your minivan or SUV.

Slow clap for a genuinely clever idea.

- A

Not my kind of bag either but it sure is cool.

I've been using the Protactic 350 and 450 for the last couple of years and absolutely love these bags, they work perfect for me. The 350 is my everyday carry bag and has taken a beating and has endured just great.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
slclick said:
I love this bag but the pricing is out of control (for me) if it were $179 then maybe but I'll wait for the Protactic version, I love the durability of that bag. Then it will be worth $249

Yeah, but these transformable multi-purpose bags (like the PD backpack as well) are aimed at the sort-of-fashionable techie / daily driver for work that also has camera functionality when you are not at work / etc., not the utilitarian working shooter with a dedicated camera bag. Little things like the fabric, the powder-coated (or brushed aluminum?) metal loops are a dead giveaway. They are banking on gadgety millenials having more coin in their pocket and wanting something nice / 'gear-coffin-like' on their back.

Not a bad move, but it's not for me.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
slclick said:
I love this bag but the pricing is out of control (for me) if it were $179 then maybe but I'll wait for the Protactic version, I love the durability of that bag. Then it will be worth $249

Yeah, but these transformable multi-purpose bags (like the PD backpack as well) are aimed at the sort-of-fashionable techie / daily driver for work that also has camera functionality when you are not at work / etc., not the utilitarian working shooter with a dedicated camera bag. Little things like the fabric, the powder-coated (or brushed aluminum?) metal loops are a dead giveaway. They are banking on gadgety millenials having more coin in their pocket and wanting something nice / 'gear-coffin-like' on their back.

Not a bad move, but it's not for me.

- A

LOL, yeah, this bag can fit a small mirrorless kit and there's still some room left over for some coloring books, crayons, and even some playdoh! ;)

Upvote 0
slclick said:
I use a ML bag for my 2 lens setup, 5D3 and 35 + 135. Works great, no wasted space. Lowepro Slingshot Edge 150.

I still use my old Lowepro slingshot 202 for a light kit sometimes when traveling (light day walk-a-bouts), lowepro makes some pretty good bags for sure....

Upvote 0