Magic Lantern Now Works With Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware 1.2.3

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
Marsu42 said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
Is the 1.2.3 version as advanced and bug-free as the version for prior firmware? I.E. is it time to upgrade to 1.2.3 and use the new ML firmware or is it still better to stick to the older Canon firmware and the ML paired to that.

I don't own a 6d, but as far as I see it currently the 1.1 fw is more tested as the 1.2 one isn't even officially "released" but still in a branch in the source code: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/branch/5D3-123

Once 1.2 is in the main repo imho there's no reason not to use it, as I already wrote the main dev alex has a 5d3 so it's the most stable port of all.
I have ML permanently on my 5D3 on the SD card. I am working with dual ISO. No crashes so far. Also with the cr2hdr plugin for LR, getting a dual ISO image in the workflow is easy.

Upvote 0
rpt said:
No crashes so far.

Most popular ML features are very thoroughly tested by the devs - but even if (if!) it should ever crash, which it most likely won't: take out the battery, re-insert, done. This is not a problem unless you shoot mission-critical situations (like a wedding ceremony), but then again you probably shouldn't be using ML at all.

A more serious problem is "soft bricking" if ML writes invalid values to the Canon nvram, but even this is recoverable by a rescue firmware and I'd say it's more likely you're hit by lightning where you sit right now. The worst situation "hard bricking" which only leaves you with Canon support imho is nearly impossible in the stable state ML is in by now.

Upvote 0
East Wind Photography said:
Marsu42 said:
K-amps said:
Do you guys know if ML does Focus bracketing (very helpful for Macro for example).

Yes, I know. Yes, ML does it.

Btw concerning easy installation: There is an implicit reason for this not being 110% advertised, next to the devs hating to write docs: If you cannot install ML with the current procedure you most likely won't be happy with it, it's not completely "works out of the box" and does need some getting into.

Id be happy to work on docs over the summer. July timeframe. Would need a path to get additional info on some functions and settings. I'll drop you an email in private and we can see where we are and where we want it to go.

Extremely kind of you !

Upvote 0
K-amps said:
East Wind Photography said:
Marsu42 said:
K-amps said:
Do you guys know if ML does Focus bracketing (very helpful for Macro for example).

Yes, I know. Yes, ML does it.

Btw concerning easy installation: There is an implicit reason for this not being 110% advertised, next to the devs hating to write docs: If you cannot install ML with the current procedure you most likely won't be happy with it, it's not completely "works out of the box" and does need some getting into.

Id be happy to work on docs over the summer. July timeframe. Would need a path to get additional info on some functions and settings. I'll drop you an email in private and we can see where we are and where we want it to go.

Extremely kind of you !

i am a big ML user and not a developer. Personally i could care less about in camera documents. i usually carry all of my gears canon docs on my tablet. though i could concede that a camera function should have some kind of description. such as "dual iso - single shot HDR module".

Upvote 0

eyeland

Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
Feb 28, 2012
Denmark/Isreal
As mentioned over and over, all the information you need in order to install is readily available on the ML forums and the idea that you should understand a bit of how it works before using it is not a bad one. :) Really, spend a few days reading through some of the active parts of the forum and you should find most of the info that you need.
For me, the few aspects that DO have some degree of complexity are often the aspects that are under development as well as new modules, not included in the standard package and with those, your best bet is the forum as well as any written guide has the danger of being outdated fairly fast.
That said, the 1.2.3 port works great for me and ML hasn't left my 5D3 since I bought it :)

Upvote 0
eyeland said:
As mentioned over and over, all the information you need in order to install is readily available on the ML forums and the idea that you should understand a bit of how it works before using it is not a bad one. :) Really, spend a few days reading through some of the active parts of the forum and you should find most of the info that you need.
For me, the few aspects that DO have some degree of complexity are often the aspects that are under development as well as new modules, not included in the standard package and with those, your best bet is the forum as well as any written guide has the danger of being outdated fairly fast.
That said, the 1.2.3 port works great for me and ML hasn't left my 5D3 since I bought it :)

Thanks Eyeland:

Does installing the 1.2.3 port render any permanent effects (flags) of ML usage if I ever need warranty services?

Upvote 0

lintoni

Good grief!
Mar 18, 2012
K-amps said:
eyeland said:

Thanks Eyeland:

Does installing the 1.2.3 port render any permanent effects (flags) of ML usage if I ever need warranty services?
East Wind Photography covered this on the previous page of this thread. The uninstall process leaves no trace of Magic Lantern on the camera.

Okay, so now you have no reason not to try Magic Lantern, just give it a go! :)

Upvote 0