Magic Lantern on a 5D3 for stills?

Here are more useful items for still photographers:

1) Auto DOT Tune
2) Auto Kelvin White Balance (uses Liveview to really nail the WB, then stays set for normal viewfinder shooting)
3) Option to always default to the CF card (avoids accidentally switching to the SD card when you pull the CF card)
4) Shutter actuation count
5) CF or SD card benchmark tests for read/write speeds

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
msowsun said:
3) Option to always default to the CF card (avoids accidentally switching to the SD card when you pull the CF card)

Probably most people know, but just in case I'll mention again:

if you have both cards in, the CF slows down. So if you are shooting something with high fps (sports etc.), having SD card in will make you hit buffer limit more often compared to not having SD card in. And that's even if you're not writing anything on it, just having it inserted is enough.

For that reason alone, I've never had SD card in the camera.

Upvote 0
tpatana said:
msowsun said:

if you have both cards in, the CF slows down. So if you are shooting something with high fps (sports etc.), having SD card in will make you hit buffer limit more often compared to not having SD card in. And that's even if you're not writing anything on it, just having it inserted is enough.

Interesting. I see no speed degradation unless I am writing to it simultaneously. As long is its set to fail over when the cf card is full , there is no loss in buffer rate.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
East Wind Photography said:
tpatana said:
msowsun said:

Interesting. I see no speed degradation unless I am writing to it simultaneously. As long is its set to fail over when the cf card is full , there is no loss in buffer rate.

Interesting indeed. At least that's how it used to be. If that (rather stupid) feature was fixed on FW updates, that's good news.

Still not going to use SD in there.

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
Slight update:

Last weeks I've been going back to running my 7D completely without ML, but still running on the same FW (the 2.0.3 version). The complete unresponsiveness haven't reared its ugly head again since the removal of ML. All CF cards behave ok, all buttons are working, and the awakening after stand-by is back to blistering speeds.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
mackguyver said:
Then there's this - not a good thing if you intent to use your DSLR for paid work. Marsu et al, sorry, but this one is going to hurt their reputation:

http://petapixel.com/2015/04/14/magic-lantern-pulled-unfunny-april-fools-prank-that-put-blue-screen-of-death-on-dslrs/#more-163244
I heard about that one..... This is why if you need to have a working camera, you avoid anyone who would do such a stupid thing. For me, that is the death of Magic Lantern.... I would not touch it now.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
Don Haines said:
I heard about that one..... This is why if you need to have a working camera, you avoid anyone who would do such a stupid thing. For me, that is the death of Magic Lantern.... I would not touch it now.
I've been siting on the fence with ML, but now I have jumped off - I won't touch it.
And this comes from someone who is right into funny April 1st jokes.

Upvote 0
Frodo said:
Don Haines said:
I've been siting on the fence with ML, but now I have jumped off - I won't touch it.
And this comes from someone who is right into funny April 1st jokes.

I agree that April 1st jokes are stupid and waste people time, i didn't use my camera at that time and so it didn't happen to me, but since I am a developer and a windows user i couldn't stop my self from laughing ;D

Anyway as the devs responded, having a backup memory card without ML is recommended if you depend on the camera for professional work, not because ML is not safe, but because S___ happens.

as for the loading time delays, I didn't notice it while using the 600D, and tested with the 5D3 and couldn't see any delay, it didn't even take a second between turning it on and taking a photo.

Upvote 0
I personally am not swayed by the joke. ML is still the best option to expand a supported stock camera. I always keep a backup non-ML camera just because as another reader pointed out, s___ happens. Fortunately I've never had a situation where ML has failed to deliver what I completely intended. I currently use it on a 5diii and an M. I have used it on a 60d for time lapse and had no issues.

I still will use it on my 5d3 as the single most useful feature for me is dual ISO. It has saved the day on a number of wildlife excursions and sports events where lighting was not optimal. I believe those that are trashing it before trying it, likely would never use it regardless.

I have full trust in using it and I'm sure after this that Alex won't do that stunt again.

Upvote 0
tpatana said:
From power off, flip the power switch and half-press shutter. ~2.5 seconds until anything active on viewfinder (af starts).

Ugh, that's strange - maybe a problem with the Canon fw trying to load ML from either cf or sd. My 6d is *way* faster with ML installed, 2.5s is really tiresome. I suggest to ask on the ML forum if there's trick to speed this up on 5d3: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11017.0

Out of interest: Does this time change...
* when you're using an empty card (i.e. not pictures)?
* with how many modules you load?

Upvote 0
tpatana said:
Just timed the bootup on 5D3-ML.

From power off, flip the power switch and half-press shutter. ~2.5 seconds until anything active on viewfinder (af starts).

From sleep,half-press shutter. ~2.5 seconds to AF start.

Wasn't non-ML something like 0.2 seconds on those?

I looked onto this a while back and it has to do with the way ML attaches itself into memory. In order to use ML, the camera has to use the boot from card setting which is "reserved" for canon bench testing. Speed was not a priority at Canon for such testing modes. Pulling the memory card does not "fix" it. You must do a firmware uninstall to remove the boot flag. The issue is with the Canon firmware and not ML (proven by removing the ML card and software leaving only the boot flag setting and still having the delay).

A workaround that I use is to lengthen the sleep timeout to a sufficiently large number. Uses more battery (slightly) and it's a trade off. In fact the boot and wake delay is the ONLY trade off with using it in the 5DIII.

I deal with the power on delay and have mitigated the sleep delay by increasing the sleep timeout.

Upvote 0
East Wind Photography said:
I believe those that are trashing it before trying it, likely would never use it regardless.
I don't think anyone is trashing it, or at least I'm not. I have a lot of respect for Alex and everyone else who has worked hard to improve the firmware of Canon DSLRs. ML has really pushed the capabilities and I believe that Canon's support (in terms of not voiding warranties) shows that they respect the work and the caution that goes into making sure it doesn't blow up cameras.

On the other hand, I think it depends on the work you do and whether the trade offs are or aren't a big deal to you.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Yes, I think East Wind is correct about the boot time, that's my understanding too. Nothing really can be done there I guess, without reflashing the whole camera into ML.

One feature I wish they could add is more flexible frame rate for video. I think I was able to go ~70fps at best, but I'd love option to lower resolution while increasing fps, e.g. 720p240 or such.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
Then there's this - not a good thing if you intend to use your DSLR for paid work. Marsu et al, sorry, but this one is going to hurt their reputation

I know, I saw the general idea it in the source commits and of course disabled it on my personal build, I didn't even look what it did exactly. Imho there's good and bad about it. The bad obviously is that people lost shots, but the good news is that there's no way 'round making clear what ML is or isn't ... basically I agree with http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14779.msg143039#msg143039

* as for ML's target audience: "They" cannot cope with expectations anyway, because "they" is "he" and as it's developed by a single person with some expert help on video and some less expert help on specific cameras. I would never recommend running ML for critical pro work like a wedding (and I've never written as such), even though I find it rock stable. If you want pro, buy pro. This is an amateur project to un-cripple the budget to mid-range Canon cameras, they don't even accept donations.

* As for "sorry for me": That's just it, I'm sorry for everyone not using ML because it has features that really make a difference (dual_iso, raw histogram, un-broken auto iso, the lot). It's not like I gain anything from promoting it, actually that's the very reason I stopped contributing source code as it's more hassle than fun.

I just hope the bad rep won't drive ML into stubbornness as so many oss projects who adopt a "take it or leave it" stance and are too quick to say "if you don't contribute (source or bug reports), you have no say in this". But the main dev is a really nice guy, he's doing it for personal fun, and ML's site is very clear on what to expect or not.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
It seems pretty dumb to do the April Fools Joke, yes we all know ML is free, excellent, and NOT for mission critical work! But when is it not mission critical, ok we'll discount weddings and other professional uses, but what about shooting the relatives 81st birthday, ok they may not be here for the 82nd so I can't use it for that, Jimmy's 10th, that should be ok but he might step in front of a bus larking about on the way home from school, better not use it for that, oh well that landscape but what if the sun and clouds never look like Jesus again, ok when can I use it without worrying that some other joke will cause me to miss a shot?

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
Marsu, as I said a few posts above, I have nothing but respect for Alex and what he and the rest of the community are doing. I mean no disrespect to you, ML or anyone else, and I like April Fool's jokes, but I thought that going a bit too far. That's just my opinion.

I didn't think you meant any disrespect to anyone! And, as the fact shows that he took the joke back asap, shows that he himself had doubts.

I just wrote the above yadayada because I'd think such occurrences are quickly taken out of context and people might confuse ML with a commercial software - often posts appear as if ML would be desperately try to sell their "hack" to a reluctant Canon crowd and they'd have the convince the users of its worth... but it's the other way 'round.

Upvote 0