Major Canon announcements coming in June & July [CR3]

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
I look at the rumored specs and it’s obvious that the R5 is Canon’s Swiss Army knife of mirrorless cameras on steroids but I don’t really get the R6. I’m not sure who that camera is for unless Canon is giving one away with each R5 sold. 20mp is only competitive with some of the m4/3 offerings. Yes I know the 1DXm3 has only 20mp but the R6 specs read like an RP replacement with lower resolution but better video specs. Maybe Canon is really coming out with a major step up in sensor tech and felt like new high and low end mirrorless cameras will sell. Maybe a killer low light performer?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Well as they say 'the best things in life are worth waiting for' and 'good things come to those who wait'!

With everything happening right now, a few weeks wait isn't going to make much difference and let's be honest, almost no one has a list of urgent must do things that require the R5 this very minute. :D

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I bought a couple 5DIV's in September of '18 as the R was announced, eighteen months later a pro version may be announced. I have no regrets with my choice and hope that the R Series does well, I'll keep an open mind to how it may benefit my work. My initial impression of the R lenses was how expensive they are compared to my EF L's, with the sensor located closer to the mount shouldn't it be easier to make faster lenses?

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I bought a couple 5DIV's in September of '18 as the R was announced, eighteen months later a pro version may be announced. I have no regrets with my choice and hope that the R Series does well, I'll keep an open mind to how it may benefit my work. My initial impression of the R lenses was how expensive they are compared to my EF L's, with the sensor located closer to the mount shouldn't it be easier to make faster lenses?
To date, many of the R lenses have been in the "look what we can do" category. The less flashy lenses like the 24-105 are competitively priced to the EF version and offer comparable performance. (I own both and see no practical difference.)

Upvote 0
We were kinda expecting an announcement in these days, we all assume we would have the announcement at the end of May (something around photokina dates) I guess we have to wait a bit longer for the announcement and also...for the camera itself....I just got an update from my store in Europe, the estimated time for the EOS R5 is mid-September....I assume that somehow the first "shipment" is already reserved so I think i just have to wait for some give up or try in another store...But mid-september....boy, this is a hell of a time to to wait....

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
With everyone so excited to get this camera right now in the middle of the pandemic...what would you go shoot if you had it in your hands tomorrow? I'm thinking we would see some really high quality (suspiciously close to 45MP) cat pictures and 8K cat videos with the option to download the RAW footage in case you wanted to review the sharpness of the cat's whiskers. Kind of like what we are seeing out of the C300III right now.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Settle down. Hundreds of thousands of people around the world are waiting in agony to learn if their loved ones are going to survive COVID-19.
I am sorry but...what a stupid sentence you have made!!! What have anything to do? Am I also the responsible for the hungry in Africa just because me wanting an R5???? Yes I DO passed the agony, YES I DO HAVE BEEN FOR MORE THAN 2 MONTHS CONFINED IN HOME OUT OF WORK! YES I DO HAVE TO GRIEVE A DEAD OF A FRIEND´S FATHER! I am sorry but I do consider your coment inapropriated and offensive!

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
With everyone so excited to get this camera right now in the middle of the pandemic...what would you go shoot if you had it in your hands tomorrow? I'm thinking we would see some really high quality (suspiciously close to 45MP) cat pictures...
Perhaps, but I would continue with my macro nature photography, hoping for better focus tracking of erratically moving flying insects.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Lets speculate - that's what these forums are for! Perhaps the delay is caused by getting the R5 into the hands of youtubers to provide their impressions shortly after the formal announcement now that a lot of the Covid lock downs are slowly easing up around the world.

I would hate to see only sample images of youtubers' cats in their apartments. Now they can get outside and travel a bit and get some real world images (apart from sports).

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
It only seems illogical because we don't work for Canon and don't have all the information. For all we know, they set a timeline for firmware review which runs close to the projected announcement and once it is given the green light they can plan a full announcement. Even online announcements take time to prepare for, especially something as hyped as this.

Consider that the expected announcement timeline was Photokina which was supposed to happen this week. If they're announcing in June, then it is at most 1 month behind. Consider that Nikon planned on releasing the Z 70-200 2.8S in February and still hasn't gotten there. If Canon is even a month behind on announcement, I feel ok about that.
A. I month is a delay. It’s simple math. We know, despite some here thinking differently about it, that Canon would have announced already. We just have to look to the past. Most companies announce right before the major photo shows. That means we would have know everything by now. So this is frustrating.

the truth for me is that I like to get info as soon as possible, even if I’m not buying right away. Normally I wait a couple of months to see if there are any release bugs, software, mechanical or electronic that came with the first run. This time, I’m not going anywhere, so unless I want to play with this thing at home for who knows how long, my purchase will be delayed.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
It only seems illogical because we don't work for Canon and don't have all the information. For all we know, they set a timeline for firmware review which runs close to the projected announcement and once it is given the green light they can plan a full announcement. Even online announcements take time to prepare for, especially something as hyped as this.

Consider that the expected announcement timeline was Photokina which was supposed to happen this week. If they're announcing in June, then it is at most 1 month behind. Consider that Nikon planned on releasing the Z 70-200 2.8S in February and still hasn't gotten there. If Canon is even a month behind on announcement, I feel ok about that.
You dont know the release and shipping date. Market is fragile. One doesnt announce a release date and dont release. Release date allows for preorders and vendor stock adjustments. Photokina is irrelevant due to Caronavirus, travel restrictions, and business budgets. Web streaming has taken its place. Once Canon announces with price expect vender to begin preorders.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
When 5D Mark V? Please Canon!
Quite possibly, never. If the 5 is as good as the hype has it, then why bother? Yeah, a few people will want a V, but as people are moving to mirrorless, and with Canon pushing new R lenses out as fast as possible, I see them trying to move people to mirrorless, not trying to keep them in the shrinking world of the DSLR.

and yes, I know they came out with the Mk III. But somewhat over a year ago, when they were asked about a mirrorless version of the 1Ds they said pretty definitely that it would wait until they had a good enough EVF. As their top model, the EVF needs to be as perfect as possible. The camera can’t be seen as having shortcomings. A model 5, on the other hand doesn’t have to be quite as good in that respect.

i have the 5D mkIV. I was going to possibly get a V when it came out, depending on what changed, but now, unless it’s a disappointment, which I’m doubting, it will be the 5 instead, as it will be with most people.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
With everyone so excited to get this camera right now in the middle of the pandemic...what would you go shoot if you had it in your hands tomorrow? I'm thinking we would see some really high quality (suspiciously close to 45MP) cat pictures and 8K cat videos with the option to download the RAW footage in case you wanted to review the sharpness of the cat's whiskers. Kind of like what we are seeing out of the C300III right now.
Much of the world is reopening with limitations and face mask. There is much to shoot. Its a different world to record stunning images and video that may be remembered for generations.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0