Major Canon announcements coming in June & July [CR3]

Nov 2, 2016
I bought a couple 5DIV's in September of '18 as the R was announced, eighteen months later a pro version may be announced. I have no regrets with my choice and hope that the R Series does well, I'll keep an open mind to how it may benefit my work. My initial impression of the R lenses was how expensive they are compared to my EF L's, with the sensor located closer to the mount shouldn't it be easier to make faster lenses?
Canon and Nikon have taken different route to mirrorless. Nikon with a semi pro body, and a low end body, Canon with a medium amateur body, and a more intro body, with an even more intro body later. Nikon has some prosumer lenses, good to pretty good, but some with real problems, plus one crazy 0.95, while Canon has gone full out pro, both fast series and moderate speed series, with just a couple of lower priced versions. No question Canon’s lens lines are better and more rounded.

but with Nikon coming out with the 8, and Canon the 5, things will get more interesting body wise. I think Canon will have a big advantage.

now, with the 2.8 series, Canon has a very high quality bunch of lenses that are relatively small and light, with excellent optical and mechanical quality. These are a bit more expensive than the old versions, but not too badly. It’s the really fast lenses that are big and heavy, but they are unique right now, and superb. Canon says they couldn’t have been done for the old mount, and that gives the answer.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I look at the rumored specs and it’s obvious that the R5 is Canon’s Swiss Army knife of mirrorless cameras on steroids but I don’t really get the R6. I’m not sure who that camera is for unless Canon is giving one away with each R5 sold. 20mp is only competitive with some of the m4/3 offerings. Yes I know the 1DXm3 has only 20mp but the R6 specs read like an RP replacement with lower resolution but better video specs. Maybe Canon is really coming out with a major step up in sensor tech and felt like new high and low end mirrorless cameras will sell. Maybe a killer low light performer?
80d or 6D mirrorless,
I look at the rumored specs and it’s obvious that the R5 is Canon’s Swiss Army knife of mirrorless cameras on steroids but I don’t really get the R6. I’m not sure who that camera is for unless Canon is giving one away with each R5 sold. 20mp is only competitive with some of the m4/3 offerings. Yes I know the 1DXm3 has only 20mp but the R6 specs read like an RP replacement with lower resolution but better video specs. Maybe Canon is really coming out with a major step up in sensor tech and felt like new high and low end mirrorless cameras will sell. Maybe a killer low light performer?
Canons rease is more than sensor tech. Most likely an advancement in its microlitho. Being able to shove 8k raw full sensor with dpaf and ibis in the same body calls for some advancement in cooling. Technology advancement alone far excedes that when the 5Dmk3 and 1dx were released.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Meanwhile there is so much teasing about all that stuff that I really hope it'll be over soon.
There is no more thrill of anticipation left here. Only the horror how high the MRSP will be.
And the moaning, crying and yelling of those beeing disapointed about this and that and that Canon won't give it away for free.

Good n8. :sleep:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
I just don't see any rational for the continued announcement delay. The features are now set. I'm sure the pricing is set. We understand availability will be limited initially. That's not a huge issue. New product has been limited in availability before and with the virus we would be even more forgiving.
In my experience, when something is illogical, there is something we don't know about. What do we not know?
We don't know their marketing strategy.

Upvote 0
This is becoming tedious IMO. If Canon hadn’t said anything about the release that would be fine but they haven’t done that. They’ve released marketing style top line specs meant to disrupt the market but so substance. For some of us, the substance actually matters.
That may work to their benefit with the overall market. I couldn’t say. But in my case I’m finding it increasingly annoying and at some point I’ll probably just forget the R5, buy an Xt4 and move on. Getting to the point where I just don’t care anymore.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
I bought a couple 5DIV's in September of '18 as the R was announced, eighteen months later a pro version may be announced. I have no regrets with my choice and hope that the R Series does well, I'll keep an open mind to how it may benefit my work. My initial impression of the R lenses was how expensive they are compared to my EF L's, with the sensor located closer to the mount shouldn't it be easier to make faster lenses?
I think that the whole "short flange distance will give us better/faster/sharper lenses" hype is technically true but realistically minimal. Considering that the EF 35 f1.4 LII and the EF 85 f1.4 are superb lenses in "old" mounts it seems we are actually seeing just the better designs that experience and technology give us being launched in mirrorless RF mount.
It is hard to find a native mirrorless lens that could not have been made for a mirrored camera.
I hope to be corrected but even the RF 28-70 f2 is still something that could have appeared in EF mount.

Upvote 0