Major Canon announcements coming in June & July [CR3]

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
It's good to have another R5/6 thread, as ... well ... that's all there is for now. :confused: Looks like we may have another month of this kind of thing before we get the remaining R5 info, but at least this keeps it interesting. :unsure:

Regarding lenses, the one thing I'm most interested in is what the weight of the RF 70-135 f2 will be. If it is under 1200g then it'd be somewhat tolerable to carry around and probably be the best portrait lens ever (well, to me as I lean towards zooms). :) But the RF 28-70 f2 was 1430g so that may be overly wishful thinking.

Time for some good coffee while we wait ... :coffee: ... :sneaky:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
This is becoming tedious IMO. If Canon hadn’t said anything about the release that would be fine but they haven’t done that. They’ve released marketing style top line specs meant to disrupt the market but so substance. For some of us, the substance actually matters.
That may work to their benefit with the overall market. I couldn’t say. But in my case I’m finding it increasingly annoying and at some point I’ll probably just forget the R5, buy an Xt4 and move on. Getting to the point where I just don’t care anymore.

Yes, it is annoying that a worldwide pandemic that has now claimed 350,000 lives has caused you to you wait a few more months to buy a camera that you want. I'm sure Canon is as annoyed as you are that they are now in a position where they will need to release a camera knowing that sales will be much lower than projected because of the resultant economic chaos. I'm sure they would much rather wait until 2021. Releasing a new camera knowing that in many places camera stores are closed and populations are trying to avoid going out in public is not good for sales.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I look at the rumored specs and it’s obvious that the R5 is Canon’s Swiss Army knife of mirrorless cameras on steroids but I don’t really get the R6. I’m not sure who that camera is for unless Canon is giving one away with each R5 sold. 20mp is only competitive with some of the m4/3 offerings. Yes I know the 1DXm3 has only 20mp but the R6 specs read like an RP replacement with lower resolution but better video specs. Maybe Canon is really coming out with a major step up in sensor tech and felt like new high and low end mirrorless cameras will sell. Maybe a killer low light performer?
R6...affordable and many will be sold because of that. Does seem surprising that it is only 20MP. My 6D is only 20MP, and as a landscape camera it is fine and was affordable.

Upvote 0
R6...affordable and many will be sold because of that. Does seem surprising that it is only 20MP. My 6D is only 20MP, and as a landscape camera it is fine and was affordable.

It will mostly depend on the quality of the sensor. If it has a good sensor then it will still resolve more detail than a worse sensor with higher MP. I had a D7500, which was "only" 20MP and it worked perfectly fine. The R6 sounds like it ill be a good budget friendly sports and wildlife fullframe, which is exactly what I'm looking for. As we all know, the 1DXIII is 20MP, and it's the best sports camera there is.

Upvote 0

koch1948

EOS-1D X Mark III
Oct 8, 2019
So back in January we had a rumour of 4 new full frame bodies to be released in 2020. Obviously a lot has changed around the world since then, but it certainly seems like those will be the 1DXIII, R5, R6 and ?? Maybe 5DV? Off chance of the high resolution body?
Maybe the EOS M5 Mark II instead of the EOS 5D Mark V? The EOS 5D Mark IV could be the end of the line for the EOS 5D series. Someday we will find out.

Upvote 0
Yes, it is annoying that a worldwide pandemic that has now claimed 350,000 lives has caused you to you wait a few more months to buy a camera that you want. I'm sure Canon is as annoyed as you are that they are now in a position where they will need to release a camera knowing that sales will be much lower than projected because of the resultant economic chaos. I'm sure they would much rather wait until 2021. Releasing a new camera knowing that in many places camera stores are closed and populations are trying to avoid going out in public is not good for sales.
Spare me your virtue signaling. I live in a pandemic hot spot and live with the consequences every day. I don’t need you to explain it to me.
If that’s the reason for the delay they should say so. I didn’t ask them to release cherry picked marketing hype. That was their choice and they’ve kept it up right through the pandemic.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
This is becoming tedious IMO. If Canon hadn’t said anything about the release that would be fine but they haven’t done that. They’ve released marketing style top line specs meant to disrupt the market but so substance. For some of us, the substance actually matters.
That may work to their benefit with the overall market. I couldn’t say. But in my case I’m finding it increasingly annoying and at some point I’ll probably just forget the R5, buy an Xt4 and move on. Getting to the point where I just don’t care anymore.
Clearly this is a highly anticipated release and Canon is going to milk it for everything they can. They are, after all, in the business of selling cameras. If you think that a Fuji Xt4 is a reasonable substitute for the R5, you were never in the R5 target market anyway.

Upvote 0
Clearly this is a highly anticipated release and Canon is going to milk it for everything they can. They are, after all, in the business of selling cameras. If you think that a Fuji Xt4 is a reasonable substitute for the R5, you were never in the R5 target market anyway.
Unless you’ve tried one how do you know? Because Canon dropped a couple of marketing tear sheets. It’s possible that the R5 will be a better video cam than the XT4 but given how much better the XT3 is than Canon’s current offerings I don’t think anyone can say that for sure. What is sure is that I can shoot with the XT4 now and I have no idea when we are likely to see the R5 or what it’s real world performance will be.
But you go ahead and tell me what I’m not the market for if it makes you feel good.

edit. How far into the 1DX mark III cycle were we before Canon dropped the 20MP shoe. Nearly to the end as I recall. Some folks seem to have forgotten that and whipped themselves into a frenzy over this cam. The inevitable disappointment won’t be far behind when we get the final specs. Count on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I look at the rumored specs and it’s obvious that the R5 is Canon’s Swiss Army knife of mirrorless cameras on steroids but I don’t really get the R6. I’m not sure who that camera is for unless Canon is giving one away with each R5 sold. 20mp is only competitive with some of the m4/3 offerings. Yes I know the 1DXm3 has only 20mp but the R6 specs read like an RP replacement with lower resolution but better video specs. Maybe Canon is really coming out with a major step up in sensor tech and felt like new high and low end mirrorless cameras will sell. Maybe a killer low light performer?
Hi Joe! I do not think there is any competition between 20mp sensor on M4/3 vs 20mp sensor on full frame. Especially in low light. Two very different animals, in my personal opinion.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0