Manual, Auto ISO, and Flash- how does this work?

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
I am going to shoot a the cattle drive in Fort Worth, TX today at 4PM, which of course is outdoors. This occurs on most weekends at 11 AM and 4PM. I have shot this before but obviously, the timing of the event isn't the best for lighting. Specifically, there is a lot of contrast not only in the longhorn color, but also the shadows and bright sunlight areas (obviously). Today I am going to try to shoot again, this time with my new (yippie ky eyeee) 300 2.8 IS II lens on my 5DII body.

In thinking about how to augment the shadows, I though I would use a better beamer for fill and set flash to ETTL (using a single 580 EXII). I haven't used auto ISO, so I thought I would try that with appropriate manual camera settings.

I would appreciate if anyone can provide me insight for this situation. How does this work? Will the flash control the ISO? What will the camera logically use as priority to set the ISO? Should I make exposure compensation changes or set the flash to manual? I could just set it and forget it I guess, but I really want to understand what is going on inside the camera.

To all who answer, I thank you in advance.

sek

scottkinfw

CR Pro
Here is what I discovered.

I initially set the camera on manual with auto ISO, flash to ETTL. The flash was always set to HSS. The ISO WAS fixed at 400.

The pics were way over exposed so I went to manual and set ISO to around 160, played with settings until I got a good exposure. I also lowered the flash output as needed.

So here are some sample shots.

Attachments

• 8P8A3197.jpg
    8P8A3197.jpg
    901.5 KB · Views: 550
  • 8P8A3200.jpg
    8P8A3200.jpg
    885.8 KB · Views: 600
  • 8P8A3201.jpg
    8P8A3201.jpg
    888.6 KB · Views: 503
  • 8P8A3202.jpg
    892.4 KB · Views: 486
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
Here are a few more

scottkinfw said:

I initially set the camera on manual with auto ISO, flash to ETTL. The flash was always set to HSS. The ISO WAS fixed at 400.

The pics were way over exposed so I went to manual and set ISO to around 160, played with settings until I got a good exposure. I also lowered the flash output as needed.

Attachments

• 8P8A3204.jpg
    8P8A3204.jpg
    871.9 KB · Views: 485
  • 8P8A3206.jpg
    8P8A3206.jpg
    838.3 KB · Views: 607
  • 8P8A3211.jpg
    868.1 KB · Views: 539
  • 8P8A3215.jpg
    791.4 KB · Views: 564
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
And finally, bringing up the rear

scottkinfw said:
Here are a few more

scottkinfw said:

Attachments

• 8P8A3220.jpg
    8P8A3220.jpg
    900.7 KB · Views: 511
Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
scottkinfw said:
I would appreciate if anyone can provide me insight for this situation. How does this work?

Use Magic Lantern, the stable v2.3 or a wip auto_iso module for nightly (incidentally written by me :)) fixes this braindead crippling... 2/3rd of my shots are taken with flash+autoiso. The module also adds ec in m which is otherwise only available on 1dx.

Upvote 0