Manual for EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS R Available

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
It's a studio/landscape camera. I'm surprised they bothered to add any video at all in it. There may be a wide use of the 5D3 by indy film makers, but who is gonna buy this thing to do any video at all? Nah, this is the one Canon body we really shouldn't malign for not having XYZ video features.

Nitroman said:
Must admit, I'm a little disappointed that Canon insist on lower video spec for this potentially awesome camera.

Upvote 0
PureClassA said:
It's a studio/landscape camera. I'm surprised they bothered to add any video at all in it. There may be a wide use of the 5D3 by indy film makers, but who is gonna buy this thing to do any video at all? Nah, this is the one Canon body we really shouldn't malign for not having XYZ video features.

That's exactly how I see it. As Studio/OnLocation Shooter with Strobes I hardly care about Videofeatures and special Functions. Most of the time I use the Camera in manual Mode. All I want is a high MPx Body with a good AF on a Budget and that's what this camera seems to deliver.

Upvote 0
weixing said:
Hi,
shutterlag said:
I'm just not impressed. I was waiting for the 7Dm2 and then WTF no wifi? In this day and age? So now I was waiting for this, and WTF no wifi? I use remote controls all the time for nature shots, astrophotography, etc.

The A7rII with IBIS will be out in a month. Maybe it's time to go that route. I expect it will have greate high ISO performance, along with IBIS and focus peaking. It's such a pain to change out gear though. Damnit Canon.
FYI, 7D2 is a sports and wildlife APS-C camera and the rumor A7rII is a FF general purpose camera... two camera design for different purpose. Also, the wifi remote control is not suitable for shooting Astrophotography... you won't be able to see anything on the phone apps live view unless your target is the Moon and the Sun.

Anyway, it's basically had all the features on the 7d2 and now can even customize the quick control screen layout which is a nice features. I think it'll go into most future mid/high Canon camera.

Have a nice day.

I use wifi for realtime review of my shots for both light painting and astro, as settings for night shooting are always tricky. I use a 10" tablet so I can review focus easily, and with wifi I don't have to use a shutter release. Thanks for the rather stupid clarification though.

While I didn't say it in my post, I currently have two Canon bodies, and if I move to Sony I will pick up two as well, the A7RII and the A6000 successor. The A6K is sufficient for my action shooting needs.

I was hoping NOT to have to do that though. I want to get to the point where I have a single body without glaring features missing. Given the lackluster Canon releases, the more I've thought about it, the more I think Sony is the way to go. I love my Canon gear, but the last vacation I went on it just got annoying lugging it around. The A7RII with the 70-200 is half the weight ant twice the resolution. Throw it on a Spyder Holster and you won't even know it's there:)

Upvote 0
It's a great camera for someone that really needs the resolution, but I'm perfectly happy with my 5d mk II and it seems like I will be for quite some time given that Canon is dragging their feet on releasing the features.

Price is right, but:
No Wi Fi
No GPS
No 4k video
No RAW video of any kind(not even 720P)

and MOST IMPORTANTLY, and I know this is a big leap, but LEAF SHUTTER type lenses/electronic shutter mode for faster flash sync!

Upvote 0
Landscape and nature video is a big thing.

PureClassA said:

Nitroman said:
Must admit, I'm a little disappointed that Canon insist on lower video spec for this potentially awesome camera.

Upvote 0
Mmm... that's a lot of (small) pages to read

The difficulty is always finding the few settings and features that will make a difference to my generally rather simplified use of complex kit (full manual A/T/ISO, spot metering, single point AF, RAW only).

Time to see all the whistles and bells that have been added in the 7 1/2 year that I've been using the 1Ds3.

Anyone spotted really useful features for the more 'static' user? ;-)

Upvote 0
flux capacitor said:
Manuals are quite boring to read, but now we know that the BG-E11 will work with the 5Ds, which is nice.
My local camera dealer in germany is offering some sort of a "Get your hands on" Day on the 24th of April where you can test the 5Ds and 5DsR.
The PDF can be found here: http://www.foto-gregor-gruppe.de/koeln/homepage/special.pdf

I just had this Hands on day last friday in Salzburg. I additionally got told that 5DsR will be available with limited quantity starting with june. so everyone on top of the waiting list will get one. And a first promo: doing a 1000€ deposit until mid of April and you will get a Canon accu 79€ value for free...

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
People want to defend every terrible decision canon makes. All these weird choices are motivated to make money. Also just because someone wont use a feature or doesn't think it is needed doesn't mean everyone feels the same. You have smaller companies and new companies trying so hard to pack cameras with features while canon stays "conservative." They need to have conservative prices for their professional products then aka cheaper....
LetTheRightLensIn said:
Landscape and nature video is a big thing.

PureClassA said:

Nitroman said:

Upvote 0