Meike launches the AF 85mm f/1.4 autofocus lens for the RF mount

Jun 29, 2016
How do you know that the lens has been "approved", as opposed to Meike just taking a gamble that Canon won't "kindly ask them" to stop?

It seems odd to me that a very minor player like Meike has allegedly been "approved", while much larger companies like Tamron and Sigma, who I would have thought were in a better position to wangle a deal with Canon, have not.
It is possible that larger companies did not want to "waste the time" developing RF mount glass before they were sure that Canon will give their clearance? They were focused on the other brands for the moment. A smaller company may take the risk of "rejection" on one hand, but be the "first in line" just in case. A busyness gamble that did not work for the previous ones, but might work for them.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
It is possible that larger companies did not want to "waste the time" developing RF mount glass before they were sure that Canon will give their clearance? They were focused on the other brands for the moment. A smaller company may take the risk of "rejection" on one hand, but be the "first in line" just in case. A busyness gamble that did not work for the previous ones, but might work for them.
Yes, that's certainly possible, if their production lines are all fully occupied producing Sony mount versions. But even if that was the case, it would make sound business sense for Sigma and Tamron to "get in as early as possible" on a new opportunity, and at the very least to announce that RF and Z mount lenses were in the pipeline.

I'm sure there must be "lines of communication" open between Canon, Tamron and Sigma whereby the subject has been discussed, so either some kind of "understanding" has been reached, or Sigma and Tamron are fearful of compatibility issues with future bodies. The whole thing seems very hush-hush, so I'd guess there's a lot happening behind closed doors - and an agreement not to disclose publicly.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
This is fishy as hell

+ There's never been an explanation why 3rd parties all of a sudden CANT use the EF protocol.

Something here doesnt make sense, but what does make sense is almost no one is gonna think a meike lens will compete with..well...anyone elses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Yes, that's certainly possible, if their production lines are all fully occupied producing Sony mount versions. But even if that was the case, it would make sound business sense for Sigma and Tamron to "get in as early as possible" on a new opportunity, and at the very least to announce that RF and Z mount lenses were in the pipeline.

I'm sure there must be "lines of communication" open between Canon, Tamron and Sigma whereby the subject has been discussed, so either some kind of "understanding" has been reached, or Sigma and Tamron are fearful of compatibility issues with future bodies. The whole thing seems very hush-hush, so I'd guess there's a lot happening behind closed doors - and an agreement not to disclose publicly.
As I reviewed that lens, I found that the RF version is a modification of the Sony lens. That suggests that the major issue with the modification is software rather than hardware (the mount is a much simper issue than the optics). So it might be that major lenses makers like Tamron and Sigma, are "ready" to generate RF compatible lenses already, but just wait for Canon clearance.

Upvote 0
You can meanwhile order this lens in Germany, however it is not Meike but Viltrox branded. Unlike the Meike 1.8 which arrived a few days ago and seems to be a 1.8 EF lens with build in adapter in a 1.4 case, the Viltrox seems to be a true RF lens and is therefore emuch shorter than the 1.8
There's also the Yonguno's RF85/1.8, it's smaller than Viltrox's. And no focus breathing.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
If anybody still was waiting for this lens, i have bad News.
I asked Meike about it and got this answer: " RF was aborted as we are afraid of involvement into the infringement lawsuit"

All eyes on Sigma now.
They are my last hope.
And my hopes are for Canon producing an RF 28 F1,4, 35 F1,2, TSE 14mm, 50mm macro and a 24-70 F4 macrozoom.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
If anybody still was waiting for this lens, i have bad News.
I asked Meike about it and got this answer: " RF was aborted as we are afraid of involvement into the infringement lawsuit"

All eyes on Sigma now.
They are my last hope.
That's a really weird on-the-record response from a company. I read their response as "We're 99% sure Canon will find out we've illegally copied their IP."

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That's a really weird on-the-record response from a company. I read their response as "We're 99% sure Canon will find out we've illegally copied their IP."
More likely: "The legal fees for fighting the case make it financially not worthwhile even if we win".

Upvote 0