Meyer Optik Görlitz adds native Canon RF mount for all of its lenses

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Has anyone compare the ferformance of Meyer Optik Görlitz against Ziess ?? The lenses from this company used to be way below Ziess.
Well, manual. Price. Zeiss is big money compared to these cheap lenses. One would not expect comparable performance. But Zeiss AF sucks. ;)

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Has anyone compare the ferformance of Meyer Optik Görlitz against Ziess ?? The lenses from this company used to be way below Ziess.
I own several "Classic" and ZM Zeiss lenses.
They are dead sharp, have beautiful colors, a high contrast, and are mechanically "unkaputable".
Yet, this does not apply to every single Zeiss lens. A few zooms designed for Sony were mediocre, to be polite.
Some Zeiss lenses also suffer from flare (50mm Makro Planar) or CA. But, if you carefully select your lenses, Zeiss are often at least as good as their Canon equivalents.
Leica lenses are much more constant in quality, it could be hard to find an "only good" lens from them.
As to Meyers, they have been specifically designed for their special bokeh. So, comparing them to Zeiss, for instance, doesn't make much sense. If you like this bubbly bokeh, go for them. You won't get it with Zeiss. Zeiss are sharper than Meyers, but Meyers are bought for different reasons.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I own several "Classic" and ZM Zeiss lenses.
They are dead sharp, have beautiful colors, a high contrast, and are mechanically "unkaputable".
Yet, this does not apply to every single Zeiss lens. A few zooms designed for Sony were mediocre, to be polite.
Some Zeiss lenses also suffer from flare (50mm Makro Planar) or CA. But, if you carefully select your lenses, Zeiss are often at least as good as their Canon equivalents.
Leica lenses are much more constant in quality, it could be hard to find an "only good" lens from them.
As to Meyers, they have been specifically designed for their special bokeh. So, comparing them to Zeiss, for instance, doesn't make much sense. If you like this bubbly bokeh, go for them. You won't get it with Zeiss. Zeiss are sharper than Meyers, but Meyers are bought for different reasons.
Indeed, it's comparing high quality lenses with gimmicky ones. I think the relationship between Sony and Zeiss was complex, with Sony often using the Zeiss branding on its own designs to give them credibility and claiming they worked jointly. However, some of the zooms are spectacular - the 24-600mm FF equivalent on the Sony RX10 III and IV is remarkably sharp over the 25x range, and much better than the Canon equivalent for the 1" sensor. There is also Leica branding for some Panasonic lenses, which I think is just a sign of "approval" rather than much input. The Panasonic-Leica 100-400mm, for example, is pretty soft at the long end.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Indeed, it's comparing high quality lenses with gimmicky ones. I think the relationship between Sony and Zeiss was complex, with Sony often using the Zeiss branding on its own designs to give them credibility and claiming they worked jointly. However, some of the zooms are spectacular - the 24-600mm FF equivalent on the Sony RX10 III and IV is remarkably sharp over the 25x range, and much better than the Canon equivalent for the 1" sensor. There is also Leica branding for some Panasonic lenses, which I think is just a sign of "approval" rather than much input. The Panasonic-Leica 100-400mm, for example, is pretty soft at the long end.
Fully agree, branding has become quite a common practice, it rather stands for a "seal of approval" than for" designed or made by".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Well, the one I got is a trioplan lens...very old simplistic design, on purpose....that's the way you get the old look.

That being said, I'm quite pleasantly surprised at how sharp it actually is....

cayenne

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Well, the one I got is a trioplan lens...very old simplistic design, on purpose....that's the way you get the old look.

That being said, I'm quite pleasantly surprised at how sharp it actually is....

cayenne
I'm just wondering where the new Zeiss lenses under $800 are? Reminds me of those expecting flagship performance out of an R7. Funny, isn't it?

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Zeiss ZM 2,8/35mm
That's all, folks!
Of late, when it comes to Leica M-mount lenses (which are highly adaptable to other mirrorless cameras)...I'm more of a fan of Voigtlander these days.

They are REALLY putting out some amazing manual glass. I'm saving my pennies right now for the 50mm f/1.0 lens.

I'd actually be interested in the TTArtisans 50mm f/0.95....and if I were only using it on other cameras, I'd likely already have it, however, since I would also be using it on a Leica (M10M)....I really want a lens from the factor that is rangefinder coupled, and these are not. They come with a screwdriver to adjust the settings on the lens and a target to use, but I don't wanna have to mess with that.

LOL..oh well, sorry, I'm getting WAAAAAAY off topic here....

But wow....it sure is fun talking about, contemplating and buying new glass....

cayenne

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Of late, when it comes to Leica M-mount lenses (which are highly adaptable to other mirrorless cameras)...I'm more of a fan of Voigtlander these days.

They are REALLY putting out some amazing manual glass. I'm saving my pennies right now for the 50mm f/1.0 lens.

I'd actually be interested in the TTArtisans 50mm f/0.95....and if I were only using it on other cameras, I'd likely already have it, however, since I would also be using it on a Leica (M10M)....I really want a lens from the factor that is rangefinder coupled, and these are not. They come with a screwdriver to adjust the settings on the lens and a target to use, but I don't wanna have to mess with that.

LOL..oh well, sorry, I'm getting WAAAAAAY off topic here....

But wow....it sure is fun talking about, contemplating and buying new glass....

cayenne
Voigtlander lenses are in fact Cosina, who just license the use of the name.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Indeed. To round out my collection, I'm wanting to get their new 50mm f/1.0.

I had been looking hard at the TTArtisans 50mm f/0.95...but since it doesn't come rangefinder coupled from the factory I don't want to bother with it and risk having to adjust it myself, etc...

And I figure not THAT much difference between f/0.95 and f/100, you know? That plus the Voigtlander quality is much greater in build and optics than the TTArtisans, which on its own, is pretty decent I read, but not nearly as good as the Voit.

Upvote 0