Military Aircraft: airshows, operational, whatever, lets see what you have!

dhr90 said:
I love this thread! I need to get to a low fly zone someday. Are schedules of flights taking place in these in the UK posted? Or is it luck/knowing personnel from an airbase?

Search for "mach loop". It's in Wales. RAF low flying route that draws in aircraft from all over the country. They've got other routes elsewhere in the country but the beauty of this one is that there are 'pinch points' that force the aircraft close to the valley sides (how close? close enough that a 300mm lens is fine), along with easy access for the likes of us to hike up and get level with, or even above, the aircraft.

The two points that most recommend going to are The Bwlch (good visability means plenty of warning of approaching aircraft) and Cad West (shots of aircraft banking onto their side). Both are easy to get to with nearby carparking.

They publish schedules. These bear no relation at all to what happens. Useless. Ignore them. Weather, maintenance, the whim of whoever is in charge... who knows. Note that they only fly these routes on weekdays.

This summer I unknowingly rented a lovely holiday cottage right underneath it. Hawks, Typhoons, Tornadoes and F-15s roaring over us at 250ft throughout the week. Best was the Hercules, banked at near 90 degrees 250ft above me. Absolutely awesome. Luckily the baby wasn't bothered at all by the noise.

Was a family holiday (with a new baby) so I had little chance to get any shots - spent one day up on a mountainside (with three other poor photogs) but that was the one day that nothing went up the valley ::)

Upvote 0
Viper28 said:
Slight change of country: F/A18C's of the Swiss Airforce at the Axalp demo(and this one you have to climb to 7,000-feet for)

5089591948_46b971ba96_b.jpg

Would I be right in thinking that this is a bit of crowd pleasing as they know that the photographers are there?

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2012
Playing with an old Sigma 400/5.6, one that no longer plays nice with Canon cameras. At the beach on NAS Pensacola when one of these came by. I'll have to head down the National Museum of Naval Aviation with my 6D and play with the RokSamBow 14mm, I'll revisit this thread after that. Not far from here is an Air Force Armament Museum with an SR-71 Blackbird on display....also worth a trip.

Other photo from inside the museum for a dedication ceremony attended by John Glenn, Gene Cernan, Jim Lovell, Fred Haise and Gene Kranz. Fred Haise, talking about being ill on Apollo 13 and commenting on the scene from the movie. "I wasn't as ill as they made it look and Jim Lovell definitely did NOT hug me. You don't spend four days cooped up in a space capsule with a Navy guy and let him hug you!"

Attachments

• IMG_5315.jpg
    IMG_5315.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,148
  • IMG_1863_2.jpg
    IMG_1863_2.jpg
    894.3 KB · Views: 2,002
Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2013
Hesbehindyou said:
dhr90 said:
I love this thread! I need to get to a low fly zone someday. Are schedules of flights taking place in these in the UK posted? Or is it luck/knowing personnel from an airbase?

Search for "mach loop". It's in Wales. RAF low flying route that draws in aircraft from all over the country. They've got other routes elsewhere in the country but the beauty of this one is that there are 'pinch points' that force the aircraft close to the valley sides (how close? close enough that a 300mm lens is fine), along with easy access for the likes of us to hike up and get level with, or even above, the aircraft.

The two points that most recommend going to are The Bwlch (good visability means plenty of warning of approaching aircraft) and Cad West (shots of aircraft banking onto their side). Both are easy to get to with nearby carparking.

They publish schedules. These bear no relation at all to what happens. Useless. Ignore them. Weather, maintenance, the whim of whoever is in charge... who knows. Note that they only fly these routes on weekdays.

This summer I unknowingly rented a lovely holiday cottage right underneath it. Hawks, Typhoons, Tornadoes and F-15s roaring over us at 250ft throughout the week. Best was the Hercules, banked at near 90 degrees 250ft above me. Absolutely awesome. Luckily the baby wasn't bothered at all by the noise.

Was a family holiday (with a new baby) so I had little chance to get any shots - spent one day up on a mountainside (with three other poor photogs) but that was the one day that nothing went up the valley ::)

Basically what he says. The original C130 pics I posted are from the Bwlch (exit) and the Harrier ones from Cad West. The Mach Loop is part of the Low Fly Area-7 (LFA-7) in mid-Wales it covers all of Snowdonia but the north loop is a compression point. In the Lake District you have LFA-14 and there is another in Scotland (LFA-27 I think).

There is no published schedule for the LFA (the ones on line are for LFA-T which is different), it purely depends on operational requirements and weather. Usually flying is weekday daylight hours but they are also used at night (C130's in particular). What you see (if anything) is pure luck most of the time. Its a 200-mile each way trip for me (plus the climb) so I don't get there as much as I'd like

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2013
Harry Muff said:
Viper28 said:
Slight change of country: F/A18C's of the Swiss Airforce at the Axalp demo(and this one you have to climb to 7,000-feet for)

Would I be right in thinking that this is a bit of crowd pleasing as they know that the photographers are there?

Axalp is a yearly firepower demo by the Swiss airforce, primarily over two days. If your willing to climb up to the range at 2500m your welcome to watch. The first pair of F/A18's come in like that dropping flares, to warn that the next pair (already popping up) are coming in with live rounds to strafe the targets, you literally have 20mm cannon rounds going over your head:
5089568340_2566aa1840_b.jpg

5092791160_77d6af8a35_b.jpg

Upvote 0

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
Texas
I took my family to the Fort Worth airshow in 2009 right after getting my first (and only) dslr. Don't laugh, but I thought they turned out good for having the camera for a couple of months before.

Attachments

• The-Business-End---A10.jpg
    The-Business-End---A10.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 1,854
  • I-feel-the-need-for-speed.jpg
    I-feel-the-need-for-speed.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 1,849
  • F16.jpg
    F16.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 1,860
  • blue-angels-1.jpg
    blue-angels-1.jpg